living on the earth

Discussion in 'COOL Books' started by Maggie Sugar, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

Written by Alicia Bay Laurel, hand written and illustrated by Alicia, a then 19 year old hippy chick, in 1970.

It is a manual about, well, living lightly on the earth. Topics from making sandles from old tires, to making shelters from found materials, candle making, macreme, making mead and wine, canning your own food, growing your own food,making your own tofu, making simple, comfortable clothes, and even delivering your own baby are in this beautiful book.

It is one of my favorite books ever. My children even refer to it frequently. Alicia didn't write much after this, but has been quitely living on the earth since it;s publication.

2 people like this.
  2. skip

skip Founder Administrator

[​IMG]

Click image above to purchase the book from Amazon.com

My review of the book is here:
    http://www.hipmarket.com/article.php?sid=171

Funny you should mention that book and Alicia, as she is a good friend of mine! :)

She released an updated version of her book a few years ago. Her original book made the best seller list back in the early 70s. She is also a composer, singer and musician and has published a number of CDs in the last few years.

Visit her wonderfully updated site at:
    http://www.aliciabaylaurel.com/

If anyone contacts her, say hi from me! :)

Here's an interview I did with her when she stayed with me during her book tour.

http://hippy.com/php/article-5.html

Here's an excerpt from her blog, something I strongly wish for myself (a balinese funeral), and this is a good adaptation of that. I would like my ashes scattered over the surf on McKenna beach, Maui... (for all those who care...it should be a great party!)

3. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

Thank you for the link. I really love Alicia. It's good to know you also have a connection to her. :)

4. Anima_Mercury

Anima_Mercury Member

Oh, thank you Maggie Sugar and Skip for the info about Alicia Bay Laurel! New wonderful stuff to read [​IMG]

♥ Love ♥

[​IMG] Alicia B. Laurel

5. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I was tuned onto her writing through Home Comfort and I own the updated LOTE.

6. Woodpoppies

Woodpoppies Member

I got living on the earth last year and I really enjoyed all the infomation and ideas she had in there :)

Its truly a great book !!

7. skip

skip Founder Administrator

The information in the book is more important now than ever before as it's about surviving without the system that seems to be collapsing before our eyes...

8. Delfynasa

Delfynasa Member

oooooooooh I lOVE her book!!! I found an old battered
    copy at a used bookstore. It is even more battered now!
    Oh it is just awesome!
    hugs
    bb
    Delfynasa

9. Paisley Skye

Paisley Skye Member

i read the original review of her book awhile back and made it a point to get it. by the time i got around to it, it was out of print. i'm glad i know it's back now. i'm so looking forward to reading it. paisley skye.