liveaboard and dirty boat dwellers!

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by ThePoetSappho, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

i've been living aboard a 40 foot wooden sailboat for 5 months now... harder and easier than i imagined it would be, lots of challenges, well worth it!

2. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

let's see some pictures and hear some stories!

3. Driftwood Gypsy

40" kettenburg built in 1959....

4. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

That sounds fascinating! Good luck :). Love to hear some tales of experience.

5. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

wooden boat fun, how solid is it? 40' is a big boat for one person

6. Driftwood Gypsy

very solid mahogony, and it's 40 for me, my husband, and our cat. we've taken her out sailing a bit (the boat) but she needs a lot of work. i do have my keelboat sailing certification 101

7. KevinH

KevinH Just Floating Here

If I can help you with anything-I've worked on boats for years if you have any questions.

8. Lulu1967

Lulu1967 Member

Sounds great :)

9. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Nice. I remember seeing Kettenburgs when I used to buy Wooden Boat magazine. I lived aboard a 38 ' Tri in Ala Wai (Oahu),harbor and in the little harbor on Maui for a while. What a life. Lotsa' work, but a feeling that you could haul ass to ANYWHERE if you wanted to. I owned a 40 foot Wharram catamaran, but never made it to where I wanted to go. Another dead dream!!

10. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

My husband lived aboard a house boat for 18 months but it was in dock, lol.

11. dreadzyahhmann22

dreadzyahhmann22 Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yki_mJnzBM"]Renaissance - Sounds Of The Sea - YouTube this post reminded me of this song. hope u enjoy :)

12. kenwilkes

kenwilkes Member

I lived aboard for a couple of years. REALLY loved it, even during an almost sinking. Treasure every moment.

13. Madesh

Madesh Member

that's awesome :)

Although I've never lived on a boat I have friends who do and I stay with them from time to time. Although they don't sail around on it much, it stays pretty much in the same place for weeks and sometimes months at a time.

They have a mooring near Falmouth in Cornwall, UK. It's an old converted fishing boat, pretty large, not sure on the details (I'm no expert).

Last year they had engine trouble and no money to fix it so it sat in the same spot for about 6 months. The local authorities sent them endless letters claiming that unless it moved the boat would be classified as a permanent structure and require planning permission. The situation got so pathetic that they had to demonstrate to a Council Official that it moved. I had to help drag the boat off the mooring tow it 30 meters down the river and return while some jobs-worth photographed the 'movement' for a file :rolleyes:

Happy sailing

Madesh

14. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

I thought about getting me a boat to live on, but I've always been concerned about pirates and troublemakers raiding my boat and killing me and or stealing everything. Paranoia, I know, but it's because I don't know.

15. crewcut

crewcut Member

The biggest hurdle for me has always been dock fees, but it cost something to permanently dwell anywhere (w/ full rights to do so, you can squat of course) and logistically trying to "stealth camp" a sailboat is sort of a hassle... more so than a van, otherwise it would be amazing. Good luck to you out there, save some driftwood as a gift a passing traveler.

16. Driftwood Gypsy

end of this month will be my one year anniversary living aboard.... been harder and easier than i ever imagined, love it and would never go back!