Let's see some instruments!!

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by Wizardofodd, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Ernesto Apocaloptimisto

Ernesto Apocaloptimisto self-banned

I'm in the middle of building an all aluminum fanned fret collapsible 8 string travel guitar but making very slow progress. The neck is almost done.

Until that's done, I have a Schecter Hellraiser C-8 and a 90's Fender Duosonic with DiMarzio Tone Zones hacked into both holes to play with.

I have no idea how to upload images right now or I would. None of the formatting stuff, smilies, etc are working.

2. Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd Senior Member

Nice pics, guys. :)

3. Ernesto Apocaloptimisto

Ernesto Apocaloptimisto self-banned

My old studio. The new goal is to get everything under 20 lbs and not lose any capability. I'm making progress on it and will post pics when I'm done.

4. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

My Strat
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

What year?

I always preferred the larger headstock Strats... I still have Ol'blue, an early Partsocaster, in slightly burned form. But my replacements are both big headstock versions. Nothing like the one I lost though.

Some day I'll take photos...

6. Rots in hell

the frets are getting worn a bit on that one now I have had it since the 80s

7. Rots in hell

T Types
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Rots in hell

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Tyrsonswood

Is the flame maple one a Fender? That's a pretty neck and body, looks custom.

10. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

I think I'd call that more of a quilted maple than flamed. Yeah I guessed custom too.

11. Tyrsonswood

Quilt is usually much more intense and has less of the straight lined wave pattern... At least when I was building we made that distinction.

Like this...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. Rots in hell

Hi guys the flamed one is /is not a fender :guitarist: depending on your politics
    its a G&L asat its got a fantastic build quality and playability I bought it second hand in the UK
    I think it was about £1000 or summat like that ;) A fender custom shop of the same quality would cost
    probably double that (its a nice Guitar )

The other two are a 72 fender telecaster and a modern player thinline

13. stoner oxy80

stoner oxy80 *"Senior~Stoned~Member"*

Found a new hobby.~woodworking.

I been enjoying makin wood pipes, in ma free time, and other art projects funny wood signs. shelfs.
    it,s got a paddle, and under it it says, I SURIVED SHIT CREEK. or Free Beer tomarrow.
    i,ll get some pic,s of mine i made up here today hopefully.

If anyone wants a personalized pipe, or sign, your in luck, custom made for you, there for sale. (8$-15$) bout the same for the signs.
    if your in my area we could meet up, or i could ship em also
    if ya want, can be hidden discreetly, or not. shipped via usps mail. (first class free 4-5 days, or priority 2-3 day 6$)
    all shapes an sizes, did some neat guitar pipes, (similar to these.. http://www.shakedown.com/hand-pipes/category/41-wood-pipes ..but shit this site all of a sudden won,t let me post pics today. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fdCxBTSiOLE

mabye i,ll do a giveaway?

let me know. everyone, thanks.
    found One pic..here,s a little shelf an candel, that goes around 25-30$

1 person likes this.
  14. Tyrsonswood

Call me crazy... (most of you probably already do)

I just bought this, hasn't arrived yet.

There were only 800 of these made, vintage '69-70. By time the lot arrived in NY the whole psychedelic/sitar thing had died so they sat at the importers and were eventually blown out cheap. By now there's got to be only a few left around in storage units and basements along the east coast.... Totally forgotten. I've seen a few internet posts that only say things like "rare as hen's teeth" and just the history I mention above. (That didn't come from the seller, not sure they know what they had.) This one is complete and functional, needs tuned (because nobody knows how, apparently) It's used and has some dents/scratches/dings but no structural damage... Seller had quite a few high res detailed photos, for it's age it looks great.

Dig! The "Rajah Zeetar"

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  15. Rots in hell

The pick ups look interesting mate even if you cant get on with the instrument ;) is it cheap enough ?

16. Wizardofodd

That's badass!!

17. Tyrsonswood

Pickups are DeArmond's and the price was the price... I thought it reasonable considering condition and rarity.

For some odd reason I have been looking for a certain teardrop shaped Made in Japan guitar, like one I used to have... when all of a sudden this thing popped up for sale. In comparison to what I was looking at this was very reasonable. Also this is "teardrop shape" and Made in Japan. I don't believe what guitars that used to be $50.00 pawnshop guitars sell for these days...

This particular "sitar" is actually tuned like a guitar standard tuning + one extra high E and all metal strings... One pickup for drone/sympathetic strings and one for the main strings, wired in stereo. (note the two output jacks) It's gonna get some use here and puts what I was looking for to shame.

18. Wizardofodd

What is the body made of?

Some of these pawn shops are out of their minds. There is one near my house that has a lot of really shitty guitars for way too much money. They want $200-$300 for guitars that I wouldn't even want if they were free. When they do have something decent it's priced so high that you can buy the same thing new for $100 more.

But I once got a great deal on an SG knock-off (with what appeared to be the original case....both in nearly new condition). This other place sold me that guitar, a keyboard and a full set of drums for $300. The keyboard and drums weren't much but I knew that guitar wasn't one you see all the time these days. So I took the deal and took the guitar to our guitar guru. He estimated that it was from maybe 1968-1970 or so. He said they used to import some pretty impressive imitations back then until they had to stop because of law suits. He said "This is about as close as you can get without getting sued and it might even be closer than that". I still have that guitar upstairs. I don't play it much anymore though.

19. Tyrsonswood

Pawnshops use eBay pricing now... and not even what something sold for, they use asking price. To make it worse both pawnshops and eBay sellers price by looks not actual match of brand/model... a Lotus "strat" will sell for what a much better MIJ strat copy, like an Aria or Ibanez might fetch. They play on the "buyer is stupid" ideal which many times is true... Also many times the seller is stupid... More than likely BOTH are blazing idiots. This is for the lower end imports. They can't get away with it for medium to upper end guitars. (at least not all the time) You really need to know what you are looking at when looking for a 60's MIJ instrument. (to be honest all the 60's MIJ guitars were crap, but there are some interesting units available IF you know how to upgrade/repair/setup.) During the "lawsuit era" in the early 70's there were several nice guitars built but they still tended to have bad hardware and some "not so nice" issues. I have a '75 Strat made by Electra... nice guitar, maple neck with the big headstock, actual mahogany body, tuners were upgraded by the seller, nice pickups, vintage 3-way switch instead of the 5-way, but the bridge is in the wrong place. (typical of the genre) Many times these sell for more than a new import that doesn't have such problems... Why? "Vintage vibe"

Back to the Zeetar... The body is "paper mache" sort of... It's resin and loose fiber. Real sitars used gourds similar to a dried pumpkin... The top is wood (unknown variety) as is the neck. Tuning pegs and bridges are wood just like a real sitar. Most of the trim and binding would be plastic with maybe a piece of ivory or bone here or there, just like a real sitar. It was probably built by a Japanese company that also made sitars for USA import. (not all came from India) The designer is American as far as I have been able to find out, no idea who though.

20. Wizardofodd

I don't remember if there were any issues with that "SG" when I got it but I did leave it with our guy and I'm pretty sure he replaced the pots, pick-ups, tuners, etc. I haven't had any problems with it except for that it's slightly head-heavy and that is kind of annoying.

And hell...if that's how people are pricing and selling stuff...maybe I should unload all of the extra musical stuff I've accumulated over the years.