Laveyan Satanism

Discussion in 'Cults' started by TheSamantha, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

The Gnosics were like that. They go back to the second and possibly the first century, and there were first century Christian charismatics who were similar.

2. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

The Laveyan Satanists I know seem to be in it for the shock value--and a wonderful excuse to get naked.

3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

And that while any pagan can find such an excuse just as easily :p

4. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

I think it's an attention getting device. The local Leveyan Satanist priest was always giving interviews to the campus paper and serving as a foil for visiting sidewalk preachers. Good looking guy, but the very worst body odor I've ever encountered. That might have gone along with the act. But I wondered, how would this guy ever get a job!

5. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Again, at the time of the English civil war there were sects of 'Adamites' - dissenters who were reviving a gnostic tradition of going naked. I think the idea was that since they were saved by Jesus, they could return to the state of Adam and Eve prior to the fall.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adamites

6. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Especially on May eve.

7. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

For those jaded with Levayan Satanism, there is a more esoteric Zoroastrian alternative in Oklahoma City: the Dakhma of Angra Manyu, the Persian god of evil. It's hard to check them out because there website seems to be infected with malware. But in 2014, they held a Black Mass in the Oklahoma City Civic Center that was attended by 40-50 people, with hundreds of Christians protesting outside. They had stolen a consecrated host they were planning to use in the ritual, but they Catholic church sued them for replevin and won, so they had to give it back. The group did tone down their usual rituals to appease the police, but the Dakhma priest did promise nudity, sex, and urine at their private services--hot damn!. For those preferring a more Egyptian flavor, there is the Temple of Set in California.

8. Asmodean

Thanks for the tip!

9. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

I hope you realize I wasn't seriously recommending them! I think they're a bunch of pathetic dorks. There's enough evil in the world without worshiping it!

10. Asmodean

Haha yes, that was clear ;)

11. Asmodean

Who are made fun of by everybody else :-D

12. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

:rofl:

13. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

It's not that easy. Take the case of Christianity. Is belief in literal biblical inerrancy a "foundational belief"? It is among American fundamentalists, but not other Christians. Do all real Christians have to believe that Jesus was born of a virgin? It says to in the creeds, but I know lots of people who don't consider it "foundational". Does it matter whether they're sprinkled or dunked? Must we all believe in the Resurrection? All the Christians I know do, but Progressive Christians believe in it metaphorically. To me, being a Christian is about accepting and following the example and teachings of Jesus, champion of the poor and society's rejects, who preached non-judgmental love, peace, understanding and forgiveness. Those are the core beliefs. It's a free country and people can call themselves anything they want, but if they reject those core beliefs, they're just Latter Day Pharisees spouting off..

1 person likes this.
  14. RiderOnTheStorm2.0

RiderOnTheStorm2.0 Lizard Kween Lifetime Supporter

Combine humanism with a bit of Nietzsche and you have the essence of LaVeyan Satanism. Personally, I'm an atheist and have been for about 7 years. However, prior to that, I was a card carrying member (literally) of the Church of Satan. Even as an atheist, I still enjoy reading the Satanic Bible at least once a year. From a philosophical standpoint, it has many valid points and, unlike many philosophical texts, it's written very plainly, which is appealing as well. I usually wear my Leviathan Cross necklace everyday right alongside my atheist symbol necklace. (Then again I also wear a Triforce necklace and a turquoise pendant necklace everyday too. I like necklaces, obviously).

I've never adhered to the ritual aspects of the Church as I find all such dogma rather silly, but I understand LaVey's stated reasons for including it into the religion. But I do find that aspects of LaVeyan Satanism are compatible with atheism (the Book of Satan and the Book of Lucifer are obviously the most compatible). There are, however, many Theistic Satanists (that is, people who do believe in Satan [and God] as real beings and not simply as metaphors of humanity's duality) who practice the dogmatic rituals and generally don't have a very high opinion of so-called Atheistic Satanists.

In my opinion, it's no different than any other philosophy/religion; take what you value from it and disregard what isn't applicable to you. If all of it applies or is valid in your situation, great. If none of it applies or is valid in your situation, great. All philosophies and religions are fallible and obviously are not universally applicable, so if someone finds something(s) that works for them (as long as it's not destructive to themselves or others) then we all benefit from having at least one more contented person on the earth.

15. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member