Jupiter The Gas Giant

Discussion in 'Astrology' started by Irminsul, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I probably sound really retarded for this, but I just watch a quick video of a celestial object colliding with Jupiter earlier this year. It was nothing interesting, just a quick flash.

I guess I'm wondering, Jupiter being a gasses planet, what cause the "explosion"? I'd always wondered what it be like to try and land on a gas planet. Would you fall through it? If you could survive the landing which I highly doubt anyway? I'm starting to think the "explosion" was the celestial object basically disintegrating under the gravitational pull and BOOM it just couldn't handle it.

Thoughts?

2. Bud D

Bud D Member

There is a core but it is not well understood.

3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I thought there must be a core. Like neptune, is what keeps its water not turning to ice from memory. But this object never really looked to go into Jupiter and explode, more so on the outside.. If anything even hit it at all, it could have been some space dust giving a reflection too and then the scientists are like OMG OMG.

4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Even though it's gas the gravity is so intense it's quite hard. Impact would cause an explosion.

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

True. I never looked at it in those terms. Compressed gas from gravity. I'm not entirely sure that what we see of Jupiter is the gasses anyway. There's meant to be huge storm cells etc. and lots of clouds. That mole or mark is meant to be a super cell storm that hasn't given up in a very long time.

6. quark

quark Parts Unknown

Hmm... Not sure if there's an astronomy forum on here.

So far, we've only seen a tiny fraction of Jupiter, and yes, the outer part of is composed of gas (mostly hydrogen, a bit of helium)... For fun, you can think of Jupiter as a "failed star".

When clouds of hydrogen get massive enough, the force of gravity causes the hydrogen cloud to collapse into itself (in the shape of a sphere). The force of gravity is strong enough to begin the process of fusion (hydrogen fuses into helium and releases energy... light).

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. And, the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics: You are all stardust. You couldn’t be here if stars hadn’t exploded, because the elements - the carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, iron, all the things that matter for evolution and for life - weren’t created at the beginning of time. They were created in the nuclear furnaces of stars, and the only way for them to get into your body is if those stars were kind enough to explode. So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today.”
    Lawrence M. Krauss

7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

lol. stupid star.

>.>

though best not it be a star or we'd probably not exist to be talking about this. this miracle of life.

:D

8. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

10G's will knock you out in a few seconds.
    30G's will knock you out instantly.
    100G's will kill you instantly.
    Jupiter is 300G's.

9. MeatyMushroom

MeatyMushroom Juggle Tings Proppuh

It seems nowhere near as impressive now :(

1 person likes this.
  10. MeatyMushroom

MeatyMushroom Juggle Tings Proppuh

Ok, Ol' Jupe's making a comeback

11. magickman

magickman Supporters HipForums Supporter

Jupiter, the Gas Giant. lmao

My best friend is a "gas giant"...now he has acquired a new nickname.