John Varley

Discussion in 'COOL Books' started by rjhangover, Aug 21, 2015.

1. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

I've read most everything Varley has written. I started with his TITAN, WIZARD, DEMON trilogy. That really got me hooked.

I loved his newest trilogy, or so I thought it was. Red Thunder, Red Lightening, Rolling Thunder. But just now I found out, his fourth in the series is out. I'm gonna buy it today.

I hope I'm not disappointed, like a was with SLOW APOCALYPSE. That's the only thing I've read of his that I didn't like....It's too real, too depressing. I couldn't even finish it.

Picnic on Nearside is short stories like Blue Champagne.

They made a movie out of Millennium with Cheryl Ladd and Chris Christofferson. That was fantastic.

Mammoth, The Golden Globe, Steel Beach, and The Ophiuchi Hotline were some others.

1 person likes this.
  2. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

Got DARK LIGHTENING the other day from Amazon.com......John is back to his fantastic self. i think it's awesome how he can write from a woman's perspective. Like the whole TITAN trilogy....he was writing as the female commander of a spaceship that explored uncharted space....then she became the WIZARD...and then the DEMON.

In one of the short stories from THE NEARSIDE, he wrote as a woman that beheaded a man, because she thought that men wouldn't die because their brains were in their dicks.

1 person likes this.