It's Just a Book, It's Just a Plant

Discussion in 'Cannabis Activism' started by shaba, Mar 7, 2005.

1. shaba

shaba Grand Inquisitor

Last month, Cortes published his children's book, It’s Just a Plant, 48 cannabis-laden pages that he hoped would be taken as a welcome dose of "reality-based education." The former high school D.A.R.E. officer and Brooklyn-based T-shirt and skateboard designer says the book is intended for "six- to 12-year-olds." It still encourages kids to say "No," but stops short of condemning responsible adult use.
    http://villagevoice.com/news/0509,pietras,61592,6.html

What do you guys think?

2. TresBizzare420

TresBizzare420 Member

Its great. I could imagine it could help a parent who might have difficulty talking to their child about marijuana, acting as an icebreaker. I know that when ever I see that book I will probably buy it.

3. naked_ape

naked_ape Member

Children shouldn't be taught to say no parrot fashion. They need to be taught to make an informed decision.

4. element7

element7 Random fool

I like this book. I think with todays plethora of scare tactics and propoganda, the simple act of of discovering parents smoking a joint could flood a kid with all kinds of frightening images. Younger children are impressionable and the drug war starts in early on them creating fear based images, symbols, and relations (ie joint = needle). I like how he says "Sometimes you have to talk to adults like they are children." as well. Seems I know some adults who could stand a simpler explanation, as they have already accepted one to begin with.

5. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

i have a seven year old homeschooler, and i when i talk to him about drugs, especially pot, i want him to have an educated, realistic view, not merely the fear-and-threats approach taken by schools and the DARE program.

where, oh, where, can i get this book???

6. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

7. kitty fabulous

thank you very much. i'm ordering the book this afternoon and am passing the ordering information along to other parents i know. thanks again, so much!

8. matieu

matieu Member

same here I have it coming...now...well in the mail of course

9. Midget

Midget Senior Member

Hmmm...interesting...I think I'll have to check out this book. I wonder if any stores around here have it.

10. kitty fabulous

the book arrived in the mail while i was away at woodstock, i sat down and read it to the kids when i got home. this is an excellent book! it made talking about things with my kids so much easier! i would strongly recommend this book to any parent who wants their kid(s) to get a realistic education about marijuana.