Is there math in economics?

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by Stephy in wonderland, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Stephy in wonderland

Stephy in wonderland Member

I am bad at math. I took a Psychology Statistics and Experiement Design class and I failed it.
    I am signed up to take a Microeconomics class.
    Is there ant math in Microeconomics?

2. darkus13

darkus13 Member

I don't know about microeconomics, but I'm taking Political Economy classes and there are only trace amounts of math in there and it's more like some fractions, multiplying, and really simple stuff that we don't really have to do, like we have to know the formula, but we don't have to solve any equations, however, that's just my case, and again, it's political economy

3. BeachBall

BeachBall Nosey old moo

My father switched from Economics to History because he couldn't manage the mathematics.

Of course, that WAS over 50 years ago, and maybe things have changed a little since then ... but then again, maybe they haven't

4. OneOfTheDifference

OneOfTheDifference Member

The word "economics", by it's very definition, is dealing with financial considerations;
    so certainly, math would be involved in the field of Economics.

Now, "Microeconomics"; roughly speaking, deals with economics decisions made at a low, or "micro", level - ergo, the term, "Microeconomics." More precisely, I would define microeconomics as "the analysis of the decisions made by individuals and groups, the factors that affect those decisions, and how those decisions effect others".

I would venture to say that for one to partake in the study or profession of Microeconomics, that it would involve much in depth examination and consideration of
    the financial and personal decisions that people make; along with other existing circumstances going on at that time in those people's lives and surroundings. And then, taking all of that information, and applying it to how it overall affects others. I imagine
    that one would have to be in possession of extremely sharp and insightful thinking
    abilities to pull it off. And, certainly; they'd have to have good math skills with which
    to do all of that analysis.

I can't imagine how you came to be "signed up" for this upcoming class; considering the fact that you have stated that you are not even sure what it entails; and have not been previously educated as to what Microeconomics means. It's not your fault - whoever took the liberty of signing you up for this class without the knowledge of your
    awareness of what it entailed is not doing their job very well. I'm fairly bright - and I
    wouldn't relish having to take it on - from the very brief few minutes of research I did
    on the subject prior to responding to your inquiry, it seems to me that Microeconomics
    is pretty complicated, and whoever signed you up for the class has got to be aware of
    your status coming out of the Psychology Statistics & Experiment Design course. I can't imagine why they thought it was to your advantage to throw you into Microeconomics.

Just how did this come about - you becoming "signed up" to take this course? Who signed you up for it? As well, what is your major?

5. tuesdaystar

tuesdaystar Interneter

MicroEconomics is stupid simplist supply/demand stuff

A giraffe could do it

6. OneOfTheDifference

OneOfTheDifference Member

Really? You think Microeconomics is simplistic?

Well, that's great then .... then it should be easy for you to bestow upon the rest of us, a detailed explanation of exactly what it is, and how it is utilized and applied to our society in America today. As well, would you please extrapolate on the various categories of the types of decisions of the individuals and groups that are typically analyzed; in addition to what types of factors are considered that affect those various decisions. And then, come full circle for us and explain what criteria is followed in determining how the results of the aforementioned analyses affect other individuals; and what these studies are used for?

Then, maybe you could also describe the other fields of study that
    Microeconomics is applied to - and the difference between Micro- and Macro- economics, and the difference between those two and just plain "economics." Would you do that for us since you have affirmed that Microeconomics is "stupid simplist supply/demand stuff"? (I think you meant to say "simplistic", not "simplist"!)

And, you know, since Giraffes have such a small brain cavity, I wasn't aware of their capability - not to mention their propensity - to indulge in the study of Microeconomics. Hey, here's a concept: if you would kindly tell us where we can talk to that Giraffe you spoke of, we'd like to go talk to him .... 'cause if we could produce a Giraffe with a skill and ability like
    that, we could showcase him and make a million bucks and buy him a really cool little jungle where he could roam free; and build an air-conditioned hut for ourselves at the same time!

Get back to us, now!
    One Of The Difference

7. tuesdaystar

tuesdaystar Interneter

I meant that a basic 1st level microeconomics class is easy to pass

No need to get all confrontational about it

I'm actually a math nerd and economics piss me off because it's largely socially imposed nonsense (ie 'short sale' trading prediction w/out *producing* anything)

8. gizmoguy

gizmoguy Member

9. Sitka

Sitka viajera

First year economics (both Micro/Macro) do not require any significant mathematical knowledge beyond basic algebra/graphing. As you get into third year courses the math gets harder and if you choose to specialize in say econometrics over economics of developing nations there will be significantly more involved. If you are majoring a bare minimum would be first year calculus and first year statistics.

10. etkearne

etkearne Resident Pharmacologist

There is math in economics, but at the undergraduate level of economics, the hardest courses you would take would be "Calculus I for non-math majors" and "Elementary Statistics". This is coming from a person with a math degree who actually TAUGHT Calc I for non-math-majors at the University of Delaware for two semesters.

Graduate level economics may require something like "Stochastic Methods" but I doubt it. That would fall more under the Financial Mathematics degree which is related to Actuarial Science, for which you would just, like myself, get a B.S. in Mathematics or Statistics.

11. andrew45

andrew45 Member

the economy is always working with human doing experiments with the question ''if . IF IF .

12. glitterbugs

glitterbugs Member

I just completed Principles of Macroeconomics and yes, there is math.
    I'm not a super great math person, but this math was doable. It's the same graphs that screwed me up. Hope this helps.

13. etkearne

etkearne Resident Pharmacologist

OP: If you need math help during the courses, just post it here on the Forums. I don't mind giving hints and tutoring for free. I have been told that I am an extremely good teacher by my former students and my superior Professor.

14. tuesdaystar

tuesdaystar Interneter

Ok really though... I don't mid doing your homework either, but the quickest route is answers.yahoo.com

I've been answering math questions there for years (too many)

lotta math nerds givin quick responses

better than those complicated college sites

15. xmas

xmas Member

I imagine that microeconomics is more about logic and theory. I read a good book on economics awhile back, and found it interesting. Math is a good subject to learn, it makes you more educated and well rounded for all types of situations. The class I was barely passing was Media Law, not because it involved math but it was centered around logical assumptions for media cases.

I am not good at math either, mostly because I dropped out of HS and I don't practice it because I've not learned enough to go on my own.

These classes require you to :think outside the box. Microeconomics might be harder than other classes but just pace yourself and don't panic at finals like i did last semester.

16. swoosh

swoosh Member

I have little knowledge of economics but i think that religion plays a large role, "in god we trust" thats not very religiously free of America.