Is there anyone who can suggest me books that are best for kids to read?

Discussion in 'Children's Books' started by yhelmoon, Apr 28, 2011.

1. *MAMA*

*MAMA* Perfectly Imperfect

That's one of Eric Carle's :)

2. *MAMA*

*MAMA* Perfectly Imperfect

You're very welcome, and I am, indeed! :)

3. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

This is the best bedtime story around.
    Sit back and enjoy the sweet lilting voice of Samuel L. Jackson read it and I promise you will fall fast asleep. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jMf7kVVOow"]Go-the-F.ck-to-sleep - YouTube

4. junglejack

junglejack aiko aiko

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8yqeDDQPok"]Harold and the Purple Crayon - YouTube

AND FROM THE Great DR.SUESS
    Oh, the Places You'll Go!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQRWeZy-S8Q"]Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss - YouTube

5. usedtobehoney

usedtobehoney Senior Member

I think as Eric Carle books go the Hungry Caterpillar is the only one appealing to adults. The rest are for kids who can read on their own, in my opinion.

I learned to read at about age 4 with the book series "little b" might be hard to find, but luckily I still have them and my daughter's are now learning with the same books.

Favorite bedtime story is one called "Franklin's Big Dream". Other than that I loved Roald Dahl and Lois Lowry books...also the Amelia Bedelia books were great.

6. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I woke up six neighbor kids laughing... Now they will never fucking sleep.

7. Cavlin

Cavlin Banned

Giving tree

8. Tuna12

Tuna12 Guest

It all depends on kids age group. My kids favorite were always greek myths and fairy tales. They can learn a lot of things from there. Just yesterday we were reading a really cool French fairy tale, 'Prince Hyacinth.' I found it hilarious & with a vital message for kids!
    If you are looking for something for a bit older kids, I would suggest wind in the willows & Anne of green gables.
    My kids found this collection of audio stories. They listen to it almost everyday. You might find some stuff there
    Hope it helps. Cheers!

9. Horus444

Horus444 Guest

Try Poppy Lung www.poppylung.co.uk
    [​IMG][/IMG]

This is the magical story of Poppy Lung, an inquisitive young girl full of questions and ideas who finds herself in the unusual position of being abducted by a giant crow. Delivered unceremoniously to a distant and other world, she discovers that her only hope of returning home is to find a mysterious prince who she is told can help her.

With little choice she sets off on a long journey where she meets the four elements as the ancients understood them: fire, water, earth and air, all represented by their corresponding animals. From each of them she starts to learn about their place within the world as well as her own. Her predicament soon becomes all the more urgent when she finds herself being pursued by a dark and menacing wind.

Poppy Lung is a homage to Lewis Carroll’s ‘Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland’, as well as other fairy tales from the past but it is also very much its own story. Written with both older children and adults in mind, it is a tale of a young girl’s initiation into adulthood, the mysteries of nature and ultimately her awakening to the realisation of her own being.

10. OddApple

OddApple Member

"Old Mother West Wind" stories. You can google them up. Nature's creatures learn wisdom through experiences. Classic.

11. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

The art of deception by Kevin Mitnick

Also, the art of seduction is another good book. Not sure a kid would understand, but is most def a good read for anyone yourself included;)

12. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The Velveteen Rabbit

1 person likes this.
  13. OddApple

OddApple Member

Out of print classics free online google "Old Mother West Wind" tales. Pretty great stuff.

14. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

15. Nelmsc

Nelmsc Members

A new children's book called Eric the Earthworm is easy and fun for kids to read. It is beautifully illustrated and it deals with the topic of envy and helps boost self-esteem. You can see it at this link http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MVLRTS2.

16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Can't go wrong with dinotopia.

17. claret

claret Members

Here are some options -

Stand Back Said the Elephant, I'm Going to Sneeze - Patricia Thomas
    The Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle series - Betty MacDonald
    Lad a Dog - Albert Payson Terhune
    Misty of Chincoteague - Marguerite Henry
    Put Me In the Zoo - Robert Lopshire
    Frog and Toad Are Friends - Arnold Lobel
    Mr. Pudgins - Ruth Christoffer Carlsen
    The Story About Ping - Majorie Flack
    Harry the Dirty Dog - Gene Zion
    Bread and Jam for Francis - Russell Hoban
    George and Martha - James Marshall

18. Ron_Retzlaff

Ron_Retzlaff Members

Me and my son love the book "Willy and the Magic Penny" by John Arnold on amazon.com

It's a great simple story and he loves the illustrations. The vocabulary is great for him and we discuss it a lot. He is 6. I find it perfect for some bonding time. He's such a reader.

Here is the link we bought it from:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0154AP0F0?*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Check it out if you'de like. I always like to share a good find.

19. BluePenguin

BluePenguin Members

[SIZE=10.5pt]I like children's books that can range from MANY ages. This one is one of my ABSOLUTE favorites! It has SIMPLE dialogue that little kids can follow, color learning, and problem solving, as well as real educational tidbits that make it fun to learn!! It's only 99 cents![/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Penguin-Sensational-Fujimini-Adventure/dp/B00GEODEXG/ref=sr_1_1_twi_kin_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1443578355&sr=8-1&keywords=blue+penguin+and+the+sensational+surf[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Review of the book here: http://harpieshollow.com/2015/09/blue-penguin-and-the-sensational-surf/[/SIZE]

20. EvilLady88

EvilLady88 Members

Some good little little kids books are Goodnight Moon and Mr. Bump.