Is There Any Point to Learning Latin?

Discussion in 'Other Languages' started by Jimbee68, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

Believe it or not, it is my favorite language. So much history and culture, associated with it, I think. And it is beautiful, in my opinion at least. The classical version of it is not so pretty. But the modern version seems so poetic, I think.

Anyways, if I should ever decide to learn it, or even just learn more about it, I have one question. Is there any point to learning Latin now?

I mean, how would you use it? Where would you use it? And who would you converse with, it anyone?

Just wondering...

:grinning::grinning::grinning:

2. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

youd converse with Latinos of course

3. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i think the main point of learning latin is because it is the basis of a bunch of other languages, so it will help you understand other languages better. learning just latin seems a little pointless, unless you're into reading ancient texts.

4. inthelibrary

inthelibrary Members

Do it, cause you want to. That's a start.

5. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

it's on the money...

e plu·ri·bus u·num
    ˌē ˌplo͝orəbəs ˈ(y)o͞onəm/
    noun
    1. out of many, one (the motto of the US).

6. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

carcharodon carcharias

7. NoHobo

NoHobo Members

It could be a great starting point to learning Esperanto, another semi-useless dying language.

8. deleted

deleted Visitor

bis in die ..

9. Not everything has to be useful.

kinulpture and Tman58 like this.
  10. virginiaboy

virginiaboy Member

English language is based 70% on Latin, 20% on Greek and the remaining 10% are words from other languages
    It is mostly very regular in it's word forms, as is Greek. The exception are very common words the same in English

11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Yep, polar bear in English is very close to Ursus of Latin.

12. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Learn pig latin if you want to talk to pigs.

13. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

You are what we call in Latin... A dorkus milorkus :D

14. soulpoker

soulpoker Senior Member

It helps in understanding origins of many English words. And since Latin is a strong basis of Indo-European languages, knowing it sets you up to learn others more easily, especially the Romance languages, and heavily inflected languages.

15. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Latin is still the official language of Vatican City. The problem is that it's a dead language so new words are no longer being invented...makes communicating modern ideas difficult. So they occasionally make up new words to describe things such as "rush hour" (tempus maximae frequentiae) and "dishwasher" (escariorum lavatory).

10 secrets of the Vatican exposed

Gul Dukat likes this.
  16. Dax

Dax Members

I took latin in High School. Highest mark I ever got was 18%. My Latin teacher begged me to drop it as a subject and I did after the first year.

17. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I slogged my way thru 2 years of high school Latin. I took Latin because I was interested in biological sciences and Latin was the basis for nomenclature. Also my first choice, German, had been dropped from my Wisconsin high school in a fit of post WW 2 paranoia. In retrospect I have found Latin a useful background in my life and probably a good choice.

18. sherman march

sherman march Members

or reading the copyright date in the credits of movies. for some reason they seem to be in Roman numerals most of the time.

19. soulpoker

soulpoker Senior Member

I hate that shit! You can't count past a few million and you can't do basic arithmetic. And sometimes a number is represented by one character, and sometimes by two. It's so awkward.There's no practical reason to use Roman numerals when we have digits.

20. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

It is easier to read them backwards. We normally know which century the film was made in once we work out the last two digits.