Is Music Universal?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Jimbee68, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

Just purely scientifically-speaking, is music universal?

I mean, is it reducible to some other science--like math? If some advanced extraterrestrial came to earth, would he recognize our music? And would he like it too?

I'm watching Close Encounters of the Third Kind on the Sci-Fi channel as I post this. And it is integral to that story. But that movie doesn't score well in the accuracy department anyways. (I think they are the first to depict advanced ET's as greys.) So that isn't the best example.

But back to my original question: music--yes or no?

:) :) :)

2. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

In the sense that waves are created from sound it is universal, however there is probably only a portion of animals biologically equipped to respond to music as sound and even less that probably respond to it as an organized collection of sounds, which may be a generic definition for "music."

So we would have to make some assumptions as to what the aliens are like, such as possessing bodies and brains that respond to sound waves from music in some way.

tumbling.dice likes this.
  3. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I doubt that one species' music would be recognizable by another species. Or should I say 'music'? It's possible that another intelligent species would use a completely different medium than sound to create what it would consider music...light waves maybe. Who knows? Evolution takes some strange paths.

clark32 likes this.
  4. magickman

magickman Supporters HipForums Supporter

I believe it's all universal to some degree. You take some of our music to a third-world country, and although some may not like it, or the idea of playing it for them, you can bet someone will like it.

5. egger

egger Member

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  6. egger

egger Member

clark32 likes this.
  7. Yes we...I mean they like "our" music. It's not like that, we, I mean, they can really relate to people.

8. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

If aliens parked their spaceship in my back garden, I would invite them to watch Gotterdammerung with me and ask them if they had any part in it.

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I'm sure if any being had ears it could hear music but whether or not they interpret it as music I'm not sure. Personally, what some people call music I call rubbish and what I listen to is also rubbish when I call it music. :p

I think aliens would sing rather than have musical instruments. In all the years I've watched TV and movies I've never seen an alien come out with a guitar strapped over the shoulder. But they often utter harmonic noises.

DeNuttySquirrel likes this.
  10. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

11. clark32

clark32 D`oh!

hahahahha. LOL!

12. Little Old Wine Drinker

Little Old Wine Drinker Senior Member

I’d hazard a guess that it is universal.

Music is based on simple ratios between the wavelengths of sound giving recognisable intervals, scales and harmony. The octave interval of halving the wavelength we easily discern as the start of Over the Rainbow would be just as obvious to an alien with hearing that detects pitch. Therefore, it seems entirely possible that other intelligent lifeforms would hit upon a roughly similar arrangement of notes and find it pleasing.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  13. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

wilsjane likes this.
  14. DeNuttySquirrel

DeNuttySquirrel Members

Consider whales, they communicate through water. Music in its purest form is sound in a specific pattern. Unless we have special equipment we can not hear it. This also brings up the thought, can whales hear our music if we play it in a boat?

15. wilsjane

What grows best on opera. Hopefully it will be something that I like. :yum::yum::yum::yum:

DeNuttySquirrel likes this.
  16. wilsjane

This is a far better example of film scoring.
    Although Alex North scored the film, Kubrick rejected much of the score and added the classical sections himself.

Asmodean likes this.
  17. Asmodean

Stinging-nettle

wilsjane and Mallyboppa like this.
  18. wilsjane

Great. Now all I need to do is get Jane to bake them into a quiche.
    She baked a nettle and mushroom quiche for a party some years ago. Everyone loved it and she never revealed her secret recipe. LOL.

19. Asmodean

I really need to rewatch 2001: a space odyssey. Its been over a decade i think, and it was one of my favorites!

20. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Modern music theory emphasizes the silences between the notes which, unlike the notes themselves, can represent any emotion. This is also my specialty with the poetry I write, which can treat the passage of time as merely a variable, with no intrinsic meaning or value. For music to have any meaning it must embrace the silence and transcend metaphysics.