Instructor Signups

Discussion in 'Free School' started by skip, Sep 20, 2007.

1. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Anyone wishing to teach a class, please go to Suggest a Class.
    When you have enough students (at least 3), and your syllabus ready, you can PM me to ask me to start the class.

Tell us the title and description of the course. Courses should have a specific focus, rather than a broad subject. Like "Particle Physics" instead of "Science."

You can be as detailed as you like in the description, including what kind of response you'll be expecting from the students if any. I'm thinking of research, reports, etc.

Remember we won't be grading students, so if you want more response from them, you'll have to be clear what you expect.

Instructors will also be moderators of their class, so you have the responsibility of checking the class forum on a regular basis and responding to students in a timely fashion.

Take your time thinking about this, as it is a commitment of time to the class.

Thanks to all who have expressed enthusiasm for this new project! :)

2. shameless_heifer

shameless_heifer Super Moderator

I'd like to teach a Basic Iridology Class, Learn to Read the Iris To Find Weakness In The Body. Submit Your Eye Picture And Learn From Others Eye Pictures. Reports on the basic signs in the Iris.

sh

3. skip

I suppose we also would like to know what qualifications and/or experience each instructor has in the subject. This info should also appear along with the course description in the first post made in the new class so students can decide whether to signup or not. :)

4. usfcat

usfcat CaterCreeps

I'd enjoy teaching sewing and crafting. I can teach basic sewing techniques with detailed pictures and instruction and give out simple projects. I could also teach some knitting/crocheting and jewelry making.
    My experience:
    Design - entire life basically
    Sewing - 11 years
    Knitting - 5 years
    Crochet - 1 year
    Jewelry/beading - a few years

Let me know if I can be of any help :)

I also know some stuff about Poi/fire dancing. This would be hard to teach over the net but if there was interest I would try! I could take pics and video of basic moves or something.

5. shameless_heifer

shameless_heifer Super Moderator

I'm ready when you are

6. nynysuts

nynysuts No Gods, No Masters

I would like to teach a class on growing up and dealing with the stress of being a teenager.

7. skip

I like this idea... Very practical, and something you RARELY learn in school, although you'd think that would be the most important thing they could teach kids! :)

Not sure what one would call this type of class.

Perhaps under the category, "Real Life"?

I think we also need a class for the other end of the spectrum (I've been thinking about this one for awhile), A class for those who are AGING, getting older, who need to know how to cope with the issues that come up for senior citizens. Things like SS, medicare, retirement, finding a job, assisted living, coping with loss of spouse, dealing with various illnesses, etc...

Anyone interested in that?

8. poor_old_dad

poor_old_dad Senior Member

A couple folks have asked me if I would "teach", or lead, a class or classes about Organic Gardening. I've been thinking about Organic Gardening "classes" too. Here's my thoughts so far. First, and in no order, I really love helping folks who want to do it or more of it. Next, teaching gardening is more than reading and writting, things the internet is able to provide. But it is also about getting out and doing it, getting dirty & sweaty, and it's about feel, smell & even taste. And those are things that you can't do over the internet.

Another thing is that different people are at different levels of what they need or want to know, some are beginners, some have been at it a while and have a certain problem(bug, disease, plant identification, varitey selection, etc.) they need help with. And helping with the need & want to know and problems is what is already going on in the Gardening Forum. There are a lot of folks in the Gardening Forum that have said they've been helped there. So a lot of what would go on in a "school" already goes on in the Gardening Forum, and so it's hard for me to imagaine "classes" not going somehow hand in hand with the Gardening Forum.

I've tried to figure out what could be in a "class". Perhaps a series of posts about the basic whys and hows of Organic Gardening, perhaps a FAQ post, a post for organic resources (both materials like seeds, etc., and information like insect identification), those sorts of things. Then instead of an instructor, having a group of advisors, some of the (once again) Gardening Forum regulars.

However, another thing is that in the "What subjects are you interested in?" thread, no one has expressed an interest. There have been a couple mentions about foraging and "living off the land", those are good too but a different from agriculture.

As to qualifications, I've been Organic Gardening for over 50 years & have a really large reference library and an extensive system of bookmarked web sites that are good for further info.

Another class I may be able to help with is one about getting back to the land, self sustaining, self supporting farm type thing. There are lot of posts all the time in the Camping/Outdoor Living, Communal Living, and Living on the Earth forums (and other places too) by folks wanting to get "back to the land" even though they weren't ever on the land. Again, I'm not sure how this would be taught. So many people have had so many experiences, and what worked for some didn't or won't work for others. But there seems to be an awful lot of hippies and "hippies" and others who are looking for a simpler, natural, self-sustaining life and life style. And there are several folks around the forums who have as they say, been there and done that, who could act as advisors to the seekers. This class, or these classes, would include gardening, but would also include philosophy, bartering, animal care, locating and acquiring land, locating markets for what you produce, other economics issues, equipment care and use, lots & lots of things.

As to qualifications, other than the above mentioned, I have been living and working on my own self sustaining (by my definition) farm for a dozen years or so. This is my third farm. Due to too little rain & too many thieves, I'm now also working for a short while in a "real job" too. But then again, that's part of the doing what you've got to do to keep the dream alive.

Peace,
    poor_old_dad

9. mighty_thor

mighty_thor Member

Excellent idea... I have many question about what to expect and how to cope with these issues and the body changes, etc, as I start to fade away.

Also, propers to poor_old_dad. Everything he says above sound right on point. :) There are a lot of wanna-be's on this form (probably including me), but he seems to be one of the few who actually tries to live out his ideals. Good work! :)

10. poor_old_dad

poor_old_dad Senior Member

Namaste

Thank you for the kind words. They brightened what was a rough day.

Peace,
    poor_old_dad

11. skip

See there are a lot of things you can teach via the Internet without getting one's hands dirty... ;)

The philosophy and concepts behind organic gardening, sustainable living, self-sufficiency don't require an actual garden.

Plus all the resources and experiences you bring to the class are invaluable.

I've been considering the best way to tie some classes with existing forums. Haven't found the best way yet.

One thing I want to remind all facilitators (I think that might be the best word, we'll let ppl vote on it later), is that you have control over the class. So that you can decide the best method for learning, be it a controlled situation with facilitator-to-student info download, or a more SEMINAR type arrangement where there's more equal footing if many have knowledge to share.

It might be good to see what the students bring to the class before deciding which way to go with the info exchange.

I think the best thing about the classes that sets them apart from forums on the same general topic, is going to be the clearly defined focus, the orderly step-by-step progression in acquiring the knowledge and the respect for the facilitator's role.

The beauty of it will be the permanence of the class. Even after the class is finished the record of the class will remain for all who have an interest. Unlike forum threads that disappear into oblivion or classes which end or get repeated over and over each year.

I suppose once a class is done, newbies who have questions about the class can then take it to that related forum (like gardening) and find answers there.

Thus each class will have a life of its own long after it's over. :)

I don't think any other Free School can say that!

12. wyldwynd

wyldwynd ~*~ Super Moderator

This is a great idea Skip. Especially since too seniors are the biggest targets of scams,,,soo it is good to be informed also in this area, which the most recent fax sent to all senior centers was issused by the IRS Involving a telephone scam. The scam begins with a caller who intends to fool people into believing the IRS will be issuing a tax refund and medical card. All you have to do, says the scammer(pretending to be a IRS agent), is provide some personal information.(i did not quote the entire bulletin in this post) NEVER GIVE PERSONAL INFO OVER THE PHONE. Anyways There is always bulletins like this every month or soo alerting senior centers of new scams that are targeting seniors,,soo this subject would be a must. I would be able to help in this area, since i do have over ten years experience of working with seniors and have dealt with assisting seniors in all areas you have mentioned above.

13. skip

That's very COOL, Wyldwynd! ;)

Yes, seniors are targeted because they're usually naive about scams like those. Fortunately us "hippie types" are a bit more on the ball, however as we age, it's more difficult to keep up with the latest scams being invented almost daily.

You're welcome to do a Seniors Survival class or something like that! :)

14. HippyFreek

HippyFreek Vintage Member

I'd like to lead an Attachment Parenting class, more of an open-ended discussion where new parents, born and raised in a mainstream-detached culture, can have a full discussion of all things related to:

1. The Post-Partum Period
    2. Breastfeeding Basics
    3. Co-sleeping and its many forms
    4. Babywearing and its benefits
    5. Parenting a high-needs child
    6. Parental debates (vaccination, alternative diets and children, cow-milk in a human diet, etc)

I want to keep this seperate from the Parenting forum, mostly because it is so easy to spam that forum or get advice from detached persons with no background in the forums. This is to be a pure AP classroom.

My experience includes 16 months of parenting, extensive research concerning the different methods of parenting an attached child, strategies to cope with being AP in a detached world, building intentional parenting communities, 2 years+ research on vaccinations, and a full-spectrum experience with wearing a newborn/infant/toddler.

I believe the vaccination class could be a class to itself, but I'd like input on that end.

ETA: Other issues to discuss: AP while working, tantrums and you, Ap as it relates to religion (as a PM-only discussion, emphasis on Christianity and how it could benefit from a peaceful parenting approach)

Do you require a full syllabus and reading list?

ETA again: I would also periodically have guest "speakers", other forums members either currently parenting AP-style or adult products of AP-style lifes.

One example: Drumminmama has a teenaged son, whom she has parented in a very attached way. Since my knowledge of AP-ing a teen is somewhat limited, she, as a guest speaker, could offer insight into the world of parenting older children.

Again, i would want to keep this where the main answers are from known forums voices with known backgrounds in parenting AP.

15. skip

I'm going to teach a class about Healthy Diets. I think I'll call it, "You Are What You Eat".

I'll cover how what we eat affects our bodies, minds, spirit and society. A holistic approach to eating.

I'll be including such diets as Raw Foods, Mucusless, Vegan, Organic, Fruitarian, Fasting and a lot more.

Students will choose a diet to research and try and report to the class about it.

How's that sound? :)

16. Musikero

Musikero Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Sounds good.:)

17. thechokecherry

thechokecherry Member

Hey guys. I could teach about a couple things. I'm probably not to knowledgable but I can provide the basics on the following:
    draft horse power
    Ecoagriculture/ sustianable farming
    community living (i'm in the process of starting a community as we type)
    herbalism
    cooking/baking/preserving
    homesteading

I've got a killer library to recomend as well.

p.s. this was an awesome idea

18. lovelyxmalia

lovelyxmalia Banana Hammock Lifetime Supporter

Skip,

I've taught stress management seminars. I'm very well trained in priority managing and stress management. I've also done seminars on divorce and coping with it, release through writing, and a few creative writing seminars. I taught one seminar on rape counseling and coping with rape.

My length of experience:
    Creative writing (teaching and practicing combined) 8 years (I've taught about 48 seminars)
    Stress management and Priority management-3 years (taught about 6 seminars)
    Coping with Rape-8 years (taught about 175 seminars)
    Coping with divorce-11 years (taught about 200 seminars)

And if anyone else may be interested in Human Resources, I have a TON of information (legal, etc) on Human Resources functions...I'd be willing to teach that, also.

19. lovelyxmalia

Haha thanks for reminding me about books-I have more!

I'm skilled in palmistry, astrology, metaphysiology, yoga, meditation, resolving karma, tarot, etc.

I am skilled in those things and I have books on them...so if someone else wants to teach those things, go right ahead, but if no one else wants them, I'll take them.

20. lovelyxmalia

What about the most important topic of all? Peace practices?

What if more than one person wants to sign up as an instructor to something? Maybe some of them should have more than one instructor so the students have a bunch of different learning techniques-and I'm sure the instructors will learn something from each other as well...

Are we going to create boards for each topic? Or should we have an email base to the course and maybe post assignments and finished work/essays (post grading of course, so no one steals) in the forum?

Courses shouldn't run for like 6 months, more like 6 or 7 weeks at a time, then afterwards have a second course on it i.e. herbology I and herbology II . Also, we should have a trial and like most colleges offer the add/drop period (maybe 2 weeks after signing up for the class?) so students can see if they like it?

Instructors should make a syllabus, also, letting the students know what will be happening...create the assignments throughout the entire class.

I think once we get the instructors and organize a little, we should have instructor rules and student rules.

What will happen after the class? Will students get a certificate or will this basically be for personal knowledge?

Stop me now! I'm on a roll! haha