indoor plants--no sunlight

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by melonhead, Apr 18, 2006.

1. melonhead

melonhead Member

hey,
    i live in an apt that gets very little sunlight. i have tried so many plants, and most of them die, due to lack of sunlight......
    i got a chia herb garden for xmas, and they all sprouted wonderfully, but then they needed sun--dead. :(
    i have bamboo, and some other unidentified plant that is doing well, but is small, and i also just bought a SAGE plant. it's small, and i read to only water it weekly. any advice?

can anyone suggest any other plants i could keep? i would LOVE something that flowers.....
    thanks.
    peace.

2. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

You can use flourescent lights or other lights used specifically for plants.

3. Sorsha

Sorsha Member

4. melonhead

melonhead Member

yeah, i know, but my bf's FISH TANKS already have my electric bill sky high! and yeah, there are plants in there! lol

sorsha, those are cool! i wondder where i can get them!

5. ganja fairy

ganja fairy Member

syngonium does well with little light. ive never seen them flower, but theyre very beautiful, some are even pink! google it for pics, you can get them just about anywhere, ive even seen them in supermarkets.
    aloe might do well too, and its good to have around for medicine.

6. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

spider plants and ivy are really hard to kill

7. Sorsha

Sorsha Member

peace lily is a very common houseplant, try anywhere that has houseplants - even the supermarket... just ask for it ( not as recognizable when its not blooming but the clerk should know)

8. passiflora16

passiflora16 Member

sansevaria or Snake Plant you can practically grow in a closet...another one to try would be aglonema or Chinese Evergreen

9. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

philodenren (sp?) will live through mass amounts of plant toture...

10. passiflora16

passiflora16 Member

yeah, you can completely forget about them for weeks and they're still chillin

11. dreadlockswampy

dreadlockswampy Swampmiester

Try a money plant as aposed to a Bonsai Money tree, I've had mine for 2 years & just gets the light from the windows !!!

12. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

you can grow most houseplants in low light, they just need much less water and absolutely no fertilizer. Don't expect them to grow bigger. I'd go for something like a boston fern, you just about can't kill one of those, and they're on sale everywhere because they all stocked up on them for Mom day.