Imposing age restrictions on gun ownership Unconstitutional?

Discussion in 'Activist Polls' started by Applespark, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Applespark

Applespark Ingredients:*Sugar*

Yes ?

No?

(Food for thought)

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I was taught how to fire a .22 before I was 10. The problem isn't age factored, it's the teaching and learning involved.

A 90 year old can just easily shoot someone as a 15 year old.

3. Applespark

There are age restrictions and I am wondering if people understand that those restrictions imposed are unconstitutional? Or if I am wrong please let me know.

4. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

There are age restrictions on everything else, driving, voting, drinking. And I think there is a age restriction already.

5. Applespark

My point is that lately many people have been arguing that imposing laws on the ownership of guns is unconstitutional. They are correct.

On the other side of the debate the argument is for a better safety net for people. BUT people are sayin no to it because its unconstitutional to infringe on the right to have firearms.

My post is about just that. The reason we have laws and rules is for public safety. People try to pick and choose though not realizing that they have just made a comment that contradicts their own best interest.

Imposing a rule about an age limit on ownership of a firearm is unconstitutional but for some reason it is accepted for safety reasons..and yet other things currently being proposed are said to be unconstitutional by many and unacceptable even if for safety reasons. Makes no sense to me.

6. Applespark

Because under the same logic the fact that children are citizens too implies that they have rights to firearms as well. Do you see what I'm saying?

7. Bonkai

Bonkai Later guys

There are already age restrictions on guns, so this food for thought is sort of bland.

Yes children are citizens but they still can't vote, join the army, get a job (legally without parental consent) - most of the things that actively show your patriotism you can't do until you're an adult in the laws eyes, not surprised guns are no different.

If children were able to legally own guns or they removed the age restrictions on firearms (specifically handguns and heavy magazine guns) - juvenile crime laws (involving guns of course) IMO would have to change across the board, automatically charged as adults. I don't think that's a dramatic change.

8. DrummingJoey

DrummingJoey Member

It's a good thing that children can't have guns. They have less developed judgement and emotional turbulence. I sure as hell wouldn't trust a 15-year-old me with a gun.

9. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

Yes. What is it about "shall not be infringed" that people do not understand?
    The government is out of bounds.

mike1957 likes this.