I'm an Old Hippy but I'm not sure if anyone else knows it. "HELP!"

Discussion in 'Old Hippies' started by SafetyPin, May 27, 2007.

1. SafetyPin

SafetyPin Banned

So, there was a group of men and women at one time who called themselves and who were called by some others by the name, "Fish Family".

This group however, may have been so unimportant, insignificant and short lived that nobody in it (but myself) or outside of it, remembers it or has any recollection of it at all.

And even if I could reconnect to one of the people in the group or everyone of the people in it, there is a very good likelihood that none of them would remember me, none of them would remember each other, and none of them would remember anything about ever having been part of a group called the "Fish Family".

Being part of the "Fish Family" may well be the entire reason why I thought of myself as an Old Hippy and why I still think of myself as a hippy now, but if that is the entire reason and no one has ever heard of the "Family," how can I still be a hippy or even an Old Hippy if no one else on planet earth knows it but me?

peter

2. A.B.E.

A.B.E. Member

I don't think that being a Hippie has anything to do with proving it to someone. Many communes and "Families" were small experiments and didn't stick around very long. I lived in many small communities in the 70's and 80's that are no longer in existence, and even though they are an important part of my history, they were just the beginning of a long journey, where I continued to grow in alternative lifesyles, lived in other communal situations, and progressed from a young hippie to an old hippie , naturally.

3. Moving_cloud

Moving_cloud Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Heya SafetyPin,

here is so much in our lifes that is only remembered by our own selfes ... if at all ... but as long as you're here walking your walk doing your thing enjoying your life, life will not forget you either ... don't ya think so ? ... no matter whether or not you consider yourself being an old hippie.

Remember who you are ...

:)

4. MattInVegas

MattInVegas John Denver Mega-Fan

You ARE an old Hippy. Just like I am. Tho I was 5yrs old when it started I was still there dammit! It's not about who you know/knew what you wore or any of that shyt. It's about how you felt and maybe still do! For me, it's about non-voilence and mutual respect.

And music for the sake of the ART.

5. salmon4me

salmon4me Senior Member

If a tree falls in the woods and nobody is there to here it.......it still makes a sound.

6. oink

oink Member

You are what you are. Now, wasn't that profound? I was never part of a formal group and I have found very few people who are aware of the paths I took many years ago and none of those people were ones I remember from that era in my life. I'm no longer a hippie in my actions although I remain that way in my heart. Those that don't know me would not think of me as a hippie but those that know me consider me an old "burnt out hippie". That's not exactly a compliment butI guess it's as good as I get. I yam what I yam.

7. robspace2

robspace2 Banned

"Every generation blames the one before; And all of their frustrations' come beating on your door"--I used to think my parents were way out of the loop as far as what was going in but we don't give our parents enough credit for knowing what they do. We think we are the first ones to do this or that when actually we arent-Only thing thats changed is the year and the name-In the 40s thousands of people loaded up their beat-up cars and trucks and packed up the kids and headed West to start a new life. They came from the dust bowls of Oklahoma and Kansas and other mid-west states. They were seeking freedom and a new start, They lived in camps and slept in shacks and tents and it probably looked alot like the commune I lived on in the 70s. They also smoked pot back then! So' the only difference was th names. They were called Oakies and we were called Hippys-Same ideals and and same longing for freedom and the open road. Before them it was Lois and Clark-They came West looking for free land and smoked pot with the Native Americans as well as mushrooms. The pioneer spirit is in everyone and the names and labels don't mean a thing-It's all about freedom.

8. shameless_heifer

shameless_heifer Super Moderator Super Moderator

I feel a Pete Seger song coming on Rob :) we are all travelers in the universe.. we are part of a continum of time an space, we have journeyed together before and walked the same paths.. it brought us to a likemindedness that beconed us to search for a deeper meaning to our exsistance as thought processing beings, something more profound then material posessions or monatarial gain. We needed to be Spiritually nurished as well. If you have to ask if you are hip or not, I would think that you would know where your values laid. It's like asking someone what color your eyes are, or if your breathing... it's something you know.

No one taught us how to be what we are.. we just are thata way.. if your are thata way too, you know it and pull it closer to you. We all come from the same place and shall all return to it too. We all exsist in this time and this space, together. Those who cut them selves off from the source we are all part of and try to lead themselves are lost before they begin.. creating unrest which leads to war and power players and greed letting ego rule clear thinking.. we flow with the stream of nature.. we gently drift towards the Light, a virbrational pull that keeps us in tune with the universal flow of things.

WE are no saints, we are just as human as anyone else, we have emotions and we have our idiosyncrosies and shortcoming in some areas in our genitic makeup, but it is our Loving Spirit that redeems us.

Bright Blessings
    sh

9. homebudz

homebudz Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

It's always been my belief that we are what we are.If someone wants to call us hippies,thats okay with me.It doesn't matter what people know,or think they know about us as individuals.Bottom line,I am who I am,and how the world percieves me, it just doesn't matter much to me.It's all a label anywayz.Peace,

-homebudz

10. warmhands420

warmhands420 curmudgeon

It only matters that you remember, you tell the story and it lives forever.
    No one remembered ever dies

11. coloradojohnny

coloradojohnny Members

I came from some major conservative people. we experience a lot of influences in life, and the beliefs we incorporate into our value system is a conscious choice. for that, we are responsible.

12. Sfj

Sfj Members

I was a hippie in San Francisco during the late sixties and early seventies. We had a number of communes and families. Many dozens of them spread around town. The first one I beloinged to, lived in was on Fulton Street between Scott and Divis. Also 16th and Sanchez. We moved to Makena Beach in Maui and sold LSD and pot to stay alive. We had other hustles also. I smoked pot with Jimi Hendrix on the side of Haleakala.
    After coming back to the mainland, I got my girfriend pregnant. We got married, I got a job, I went to college and in 1974 it was all over. My hippie days had ended. There's more to the story.
    But in those days, family communes were common. Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll. It truly seemed like there was no down side to that.