If you ever feel suicidal,you should read this!

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by Dude111, Apr 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

www.metanoia.org/suicide

Very good stuff on that page for sure..

God bless all AND I HOPE NO ONE HERE IS EVER IN THIS SITUATION!!

2. abarambling

abarambling Banned

This was an awesome read. Very logical and nonjudgemental. There are a few things I do want to address, though.

1. This section; "People often turn to suicide because they are seeking relief from pain. Remember that relief is a feeling. And you have to be alive to feel it. You will not feel the relief you so desperately seek, if you are dead". I agree because people often consider suicide to escape pain, but to assume that the only way not to feel pain is to be alive is counterintuitive. I think, in some situations, not all, that being dead actually stops the pain, because you're not encountering anymore the situation that has caused you such great pain. Granted, because we don't know what happens after we die, the writer could have said something like this, "People often turn to suicide because they are seeking relief from pain. You're in pain due not having enough coping resources to deal with or terminate the situation that is causing you pain. Therefore, you think to yourself in order to escape your pain you need to stop having to deal with the situation that causes you pain. You can't terminate it, and you're deal with it. So, logically suicide is the answer. However, what if there is a new pain after death?" That probably will stop a lot of people from committing suicide, because that's one of the reasons, besides doing it incorrectly, and simply changing your mind, that prevents people from committing suicide. They just don't know what afterwards. And they don't want to go through all the time and effort killing themselves, only to screw themselves over after death, if there is something after death.

2. If I was suicidal , I would not have been too happy with reading, "It's only going to take you five minutes". Reading that, did not take me five minutes, and I consider myself a fast reader. Heck, I didn't even finish it, because I figured by the time I'm done I'll forget everything I wanted to say in this post. It's that long. Okay, it's not a long post. Its certainly not one those 'tldr',rambling about things that barely relate, if at all to the topic at hand, kind of posts. But, it's more than a five minute read, that's for sure. I think if a suicidal person was to read this they would think they're being lied to. And that probably would make them not take the post seriously, because now they're now annoyed. It sounds stupid. But, think about it, when you're already in a bad mood don't get upset by every little thing? Lol.

3. I will finish it, by the way. It's a good read.

4. I think that the writer's use of giving small encouragement to the reader, such as that it's great that the reader is still reading said post is so precious. I love when people do this, because it puts a smile on my face. I smiled every time I read it in this post. I simply love when people are nice, that's why I think it's precious. But. I think it would piss the shit out of someone who is suicidal.

I think that when things really suck it doesn't help to focus on the small things that are good in life. I also think that people who use or tell others to use this coping resource are people who actually have other coping resources to fall back on. For example, it's easy for someone who has a home, has income... not only to suvive, but to spend, to tell someone who doesn't have those things to focus on their good health. I think that coping resource is totally for someone who encounters occasional depression. It works for those people, but, I think it's such a slap in the face to someone who suffers daily depression. I agree with the writer that it doesn't matter what the situation is that causes pain, what I just called depression. What matters is the pain outweighing the resources. Basically, I think someone who has a house, and sufficient income, when they encounter depression it's the same as someone who doesn't have a house and sufficient income. We all feel and think the same. And we feel and think the same in many of the same situations. That's why I don't really care for people who are like, "I totally think and the same thing. You totally get me." No, we're predictable. You and I are thinking and feeling the same in this situation, just like 1,000, plus other individuals would, have before us, and will do after us. But, I'm going off topic a bit with that. Back to topic, we all bleed the same. That's basically what I'm saying. However, what we feel pain for AKA depression, and how frequency we feel it varies. Everyone has a sad story to tell, from their parents getting divorced, to rape, to getting kidnapped at a young age and raised in captivity from that point on. We all felt pain, depression, whatever you want to call. But, the situations, mentioning a few above, are different, as you can clearly tell. And depending on the situation, the means for coping resources in order to deal or terminate the pain is high, low, or nonexistent. Therefore, the frequency of the pain changes, AKA occasional depression vs. daily depression.

Another reason I don't think it works to focus on the small accomplishments, encouragement, and in general the same wonders in life, for people with things that really suck, is because when people dish out this coping resource to other people. they often focus on 'default wonders in life'. For example, telling someone to focus on how wonderful of a day it is today. What does that have to do with me, my accomplishments, etc? Why should I be happy about this small wonder, when I would have obtained it, anyways? It's one to focus on the small wonders of good health, having family, etc. Some would even argue that those small wonders are not small wonders at all. Those are things many, on Facebook tell you that you're 'blessed' for, or should be blessed for. Okay, fine, you want me to focus on having dogs while I have cancer. Fine, you do that. But, don't tell me to focus on things that most all people will get by default, like a sunny day. Again, I don't think it would work. It works for someone with occasional pain, depression, but overall a good life, with many coping resources, but not someone with daily, pain depression, that rightly would declare that their life sucks major balls, because they don't have enough, if any coping recourses.

I just think the whole 'Good job for still reading' would rub people who are suicidal the wrong way. Granted, that's not at all how the writer wrote it. That sounds more belittling than what the writer was trying to do with that statement.

Other than those little things I mention, I really liked the post. It took a logical approach to solving the problem of feeling suicidal. It wasn't judgmental at all, and we all know that this topic is very taboo. The writer didn't add their own experience. I know many people think that helps, because you're showing the person that is suicidal that they're not alone. But, I think it doesn't help because most people know they're not alone in whatever they're experiencing. That's the problem. They feel alone when they know they're not alone. Here are a lot of other people going through things or have gone through things, and came out of it, but HERE I AM SUCKING! You know? Anyways, the writer didn't argue or share their opinions, experiences as if their standing on the soapbox, which I think that's what most people would do when talking about this topic. Most importantly, I loved the post because someone, out there, took the time to write about something most people don't give a damn about. They have a generalized opinion of NO ONE SHOULD KILL THEMSELVES, IT'S JUST WRONG, BUT I AM NOT GOING TO GIVE YOU A REASON WHY IT'S WRONG, IT JUST IS WRONG, but that's it. Like I save above, I love it when people are kind to one another. Overall, good read. Me likey.

Dude111 likes this.
  3. broony

broony Banned

I feel suicidal every day. My bad days I will strait up call out someone in the street.

I can walk the street, work my ass off, give love to those I want to protect.

I still have the ticket to get out of it all.

Its not wrong to kill yourself. Ive worked with a lot of people in nursing homes who WANT to die but cant. They are forced to live.

Its sad when someone takes their own life. I know several who have. Jumping, and gunshots.

Some people are in a prison every thinking moment. They want to take the leap to see what is next cause the current is just depressing.

I don't want to come across to anyone that suicide is a answer cause its not. Get some life experience first.

If however you take your own life. Well I understand.

Their is a part of me that has always believed I will kill myself unless I die suddenly. I could be 45, 70, nothing wrong with going out your own way. Just live a little first.

4. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

I'm sure someone would miss you. I have been there too and I hope you feel better. Some sad stuff written there.

Dude111 likes this.
  5. storch

storch banned

I've been there, too. I recall several years back when you said something about waiting in the morning to go to work and wondering why you don't blow your head off. But you haven't so far. That's good. I don't know you but I would miss you just because we're connected through this forum. And by the way, I would not vote you off the island/forum. My point with that post in another thread was to put the bullying of others on display. By the time I got to that thread, your post signature was gone. I guess others were offended.

Anyway, look at it as if you have a terminal illness and are going to die and be out of this world. The truth is that that's the truth . . . for all of us.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    broony likes this.
  6. storch

storch banned

Here is something that helped me in my darker years. It's a Zen koan that goes like this:

A man traveling across a field encountered a tiger. He fled, with the tiger hot on his tail. Coming to a cliff, he caught hold of the root of a wild vine and swung himself down over the edge of the cliff. The tiger sniffed at him from above. Trembling, the man looked down, and there, far below, another tiger was waiting to eat him. Only the vine sustained him.

Two mice, one black and one white, little by little, started to gnaw away at the vine. The man noticed a luscious strawberry near him. Grasping the vine with one hand, he plucked the strawberry with the other hand. How sweet it tasted.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________

To me, the tiger above represented birth--from which you cannot return. And I thought the tiger below represented death--from which there is no escape. I surmised that the vine represented our physical life force from which we hang between birth and death.

I imagined that the mice represented time, gnawing away at the life force, making our appointment with the tiger below an inevitable conclusion; the fact that they were black and white pointed to the ever-present duality--up-down, left-right, this-that, happy-sad, and hence, life-death; can't have one without the other.

And I imagined that the strawberry represented any and every thing that was in front of us in the now. With nothing to look back at and nothing to look forward to, the only thing that makes sense is to enjoy the strawberry in front of us; there really is nothing else--only the moment. Following that line of thought, I started seeing other humans as strawberries--some ripe; some not; some having gotten not enough sun, etc.

Of course, the meaning could be that you should never cross an open field without a high-powered rifle . . . especially in tiger country. Well yeah, come to think of it, my first thoughts on this koan was me not seeing the forest for the trees.

7. broony

broony Banned

Well someone would always miss me.

Its not 'i have been there"

We are 'here' everyday.

Some people are not meant to socialize with others.

You put me ANYWHERE in a group setting and I will crush their thinking. Not because I want to. I was born this way.

Because ill give ya so much truth you will either hate, or fight back.

So when your the minority, the parasite grows in your mind, you are always alone due to the fact you can't connect with others.

I can make friends, I can get women, im told im attractive, I can make money. Doesn't change the fact I got a ticket. I was given the ticket at too young of age, no idea why, didnt ask for it.

A ticket to escape reality to see whats on the other side.

Nothing wrong in that. How you check out is your choice.

8. broony

broony Banned

Thank you storch.

Dont listen to this song on laptop speakers.

9. broony

broony Banned

Ok now here this.

Ever been lost in the woods?

Here you are in a grass field looking into the woods. Its filled with color, looks beautiful, cause it is, you will see something in there you have never seen.

So you start walking into the woods.

You are on the trail. To where? No clue, but you are happy for the exploration.

Soon you get lost. You panic. You can't see the sky, the north star, the moon, no idea how to find the path to get your way out.

Then... just then.. you find a flashlight. So you sit, and think hard where the path was. You look up and see a single star. So now you FIGHT AND FIGHT, cause their is hope, their is light.

You come across the path, it becomes clear which way to go, you take your best call and go that way.

Then you realize the hard part.

If I walked 7 miles in, I have to walk 7 out.

How do I know if I walked 7? did I walk 20? 48? 2000? No idea.

I am in the woods a long time, will I ever get out?

At least I have the 9mm..

All im trying to find is the field for the stars.

I was looking into the woods before puberty. I believe that, so I took a walk.

Writing this makes me want to cry.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  10. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

if you go for a really long walk... like a hike, once you're done, it feels very satisfying

more so than a walk to the shops... something routine

life isn't easy, but maybe that's what makes it worthwhile in the end.

personally, having had both some dreadful experiences and some humdrum ones
    at least the hard ones i felt like i was moving forwards
    sometimes a simple life can be like entering a forest and just standing still

11. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

Someone once advised the following anti-suicide remedy: a sip of wine, a bite of bread and cheese, a puff of pipe. Can't fathom what the hell that chap was thinking.
    Personally suicidal thoughts now are practically gone because they've been made obsolete by new feelings of impending doom. This recent virus driven widespread paranoia and fear among the public is nothing but a clever joke of the fate on me

12. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Looked at the percentage of banned users in this thread.

Bilby likes this.
  13. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

Ah man!!

14. rasta g child

rasta g child flower power

LETS ALL LIVE FOREVER

15. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Studies have shown low fat diets have been shown to be associated with depression. As far as I can make out the promotion of low fat diets is because the US Government buys up skimmed milk powder because there is votes in doing so and has 600,000 tons of the stuff they don't know what to do with.
    The Risks of Low-Fat Diets

16. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

I was just thinking the same thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.