if you could domesticate any animal to be your pet..

Discussion in 'Pure Bull' started by i_was_in_shroom_land, Jan 8, 2008.

1. the highway terror

the highway terror Member

I'd have to have a pet Triceratops as far as fantasy animals go

a Black Rhino would be cool too

2. Bassline514

Bassline514 Member

My answer has already been said, I'd LOVE to have a hyena. They're in the same family than wolves and dogs so it could really be possible to keep one as a pet, taking for granted it's found as a baby and raised with humans from then on. (And never being fed raw meat ever! If they're just a bit like wolves it'd be a mandatory condition to keep one as a pet, as exposure to blood will wake up their hunter instincts.) That'd be badass to walk around the neighborhood with my hyena on a leash. I would sure have loved to have one when I was a street punk, nobody would have dared to fuck with me ahah! :D

3. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i would rather accept the company of a creature willing to accept mine, allowing each other to come and go freely, then to domesticate anything. one of the reasons i like cats. there's is a physiological aspect to domestication. principally the atrification of the prefrontal lobe of the brain. cats, though friendly and mostly harmless, are not physiologically domesticated at all. other small, mostly harmless creatures can simalrly choose to companion a human. there is a reason i say small though. because what would be harmless play among its own kind, without being meant to cause real harm, can be life threatening to their human companion when it is a large creature. though even they can choose to be gentle. if they're smart enough. individually.

red pandas aren't as big as all that fluff. they're not related to giant pandas either. the name just means bamboo eater, which they both happen to be. giant pandas are indeed bears. red pandas though, are mustalids. under all that fur, they are skellitally identical to a pine martin. mustalids make wonderful 'pets'. i prefer the term comensils. as in companions rather then property.

ferrets and foxes also. reptiles and rodents of course aren't that unusual any more. laws are wierd about though. and are drastically different from one place to another.

laws that allow some species to be raised and killed for their fur, but not allowed to be kept as companions, just who or what are they supposedly protecting?

people should really get to know the particulars of any species they wish to share their home with. you probably won't find fox or ferret food that's actually healthy for them at petsmart and petco.

4. katkin

katkin Member

Hmm, perhaps an octopus, the way they move is just beautiful and they are very clever (have been known to escape from their tanks, get into another one, eat everything in it then put the lid back and go back to their own tank again, sneaky!) They also have a rough time out at sea being pretty much everyone's prey (apart from crabs), and they don't live long, 18 months, poor things.

2 people like this.
  5. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i've never understood the gratification people expect to find in being or having living beings or other things, for the sake of their being intimidating.

i prefer things, and beings, that will cheer me up, without having to be too dependent on me to do so.

that's why i like cats, possibly ferrets, maaaaby a fox, and probably a red panda or other mustalid.

even dogs. dogs are sweet and mean well, but they're just too dependent as well as generally too rambunctious.

reptiles are ok. they generally mean well. but mostly they just sort of sit there.

now of course all that changes when we can genetically create creatures out of fantasy.

what attracts me doesn't. but the species limitations do.

it would also be fun to have companions as smart and creative as myself, and myself having more of their appearance then that of tired old mundane human.

(hence of course the whole furry thing. well that, and for me environment too. because everything including ourselves depends on environment too.)

6. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Different things for different folks. I love dogs as pets, even to have one myself. Dependant or not, they are real good friends. Cats on the other hand.... I would never get one myself. Not saying they can't be friendly or entertaining and fun. But they really stink as a companion in my humble opinion.

Wow rarely older than 18 months? All kinds of them? Never knew that, I thought they got much older! I like their cleverness too, very intriguing animal any way!

7. katkin

katkin Member

Yeah for the most, think they've recently found a much bigger octopus that can live up to 5years, but they don't have a long life as they die after they give birth :( and you could make challenges and stuff, be pretty interesting.

And I did want a dog, but they are a bit needy, so I got a bird, which is a bit noisy, should of gone with the octopus.

8. Asmodean

Yeah one of my friend got some canaries, I find them only bearable because I don't live there. They'd drive me crazy. He also has 2 goldfish in a fish bowl. Frankly I think he always gets the most boring and depressive pets ever. The canaries seem to have a good time when they're in company but he had just one for a long time and it just seemed sad, lonely and extremely misunderstood to me :p (but to be honest I don't know shit about a canary's behaviour)

9. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

Mike Tyson

2 people like this.
  10. Asmodean

Luis Suarez

1 person likes this.
  11. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Imagine how much respect you'd get when walking it. Absolutely nobody would mess with you.

2 people like this.
  12. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

Provided it could be domesticated to that extent. Could even rent it out to former associates of M. Vick.

13. Asmodean

If on a leash people would probably consider him a racist though :D

14. Bassline514

Bassline514 Member

Don't forget the muzzle!

15. storch

storch banned

An elephant seal.

16. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

elephant
    famingo
    tiger

17. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

This is what I'd like:

To have/train either a hawk or an owl to sit on the roof of the house or in a tree over the cars and SCREECH when they saw trouble coming...and also to get every single snake on this property.

That's all. Let them otherwise live their wild lives.

:)

1 person likes this.
  18. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

You just reminded me...I want a crow.....one who can fly around all day and come back to visit and stay as long as it likes......
    This dream is in the realm of possibility.

19. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

Oh, I'd like to change my post just a bit, but don't want to "EDIT"...

I don't want to "train" this owl or hawk...I just want it to be sent by Spirit when it is supposed to warn me of stuff...and I'd have enough sense to see and hear it.

It is also supposed to feed off ALL of the snakes on this property. <--------< *Important Point!

That is my imaginary "domestication". :)

20. katkin

katkin Member

I got talked into taking this budgie, he can be quite comical and is trying to talk at the moment, hope he gets better at it!

And if we are talking about animals of the magical kind...

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.