I need to broaden my taste....or find a nice substitute...

Discussion in 'Beverages' started by TakeruInudo, Dec 28, 2013.

1. TakeruInudo

TakeruInudo Guest

so far, ive tried

beer (bleh) tried

vodka (nvr again 'o_O' )

wine (y u betray me!?)

Forloco (doesn't last long at all)

so far, only one drink actually taste good to me and I enjoy getting drunk from, good old Sake (the junmai kind). why cant i find a good drink that does the same or at least be remotely good for me T.T every other drink ive had besides Sake just end bad for me, nothing taste good to me and makes me feel all good like sake does, and it lasts for a few hours in my system (at least) than all the other stuff.

I really need to figure something out, since a huge thing of Wild Irish Rose (17%) cost the same as my Sake (16%), and my Sake is only a quarter size of the Irish Rose bottle DX it makes me so mad

anyone ever had this problem before, or know anything that might work for me? i was thinking of trying rum..hehehe rum XD (captain jack sparrow, love the man)

2. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

Try some Cristal...

3. sunshine186

sunshine186 midnight toker

all you had was vodka? straight? unless it was an outstanding bottle you might as well have drank some rubbing alcohol. It sounds like you don't enjoy the taste, so try mixing drinks.

vodka and pineapple juice
    whiskey sour or ginger
    simple rum and coke
    irish coffees are pretty tasty.

I'm a fan of hard cider if I'm being picky.

4. TakeruInudo

TakeruInudo Guest

ive tried mixing vodka, but its that distinct flavor that comes from vodka that just gets my stomach rolling, and even after i just chug it to get it over with so i can try to get drunk a little, the experience wasnt too fun for me, but when i have Sake everything feels just great.

5. MochaMood

MochaMood Member

Stop buying shitty vodka. Seriously. Vodka is meant to be as flavorless as possible, unless it is flavored vodka, in which case it is meant to taste good when mixed. The best vodka value I have found is Tito's. It is almost completely bereft of flavor, does not have that typical rubbing alcohol finish, and since it is produced in the USA, is less expensive than its imported peers. There are some imports that are really good, but they taste just like Tito's, and cost much more. An honorable mention is Rain. I haven't bought a bottle in years, but they still produce it, and I remember it being really clean tasting. BUT: Rain is made from corn, not potato or wheat like most brands. Skip Rain if you're looking for flavored vodka. Theirs is extremely meh. For flavored vodka, my pick is actually an import. I like Pinnacle. The French are doing amazing things to vodka these days. I have tried some other French Brands, and they seemed decent too, but I don't remember much about them beyond a general surprise about how much decent vodka is coming from France.

Speaking of France, have you tried cognac? I like Courvoisier VSOP. Stay away from Hennessy. It tastes vile. Courvoisier tastes great on its own, and gives a lovely burn going down, but my favorite way to drink it is with a bit of Amaretto Di Sarono.

For a cheap tasty drunken spell, find the darkest rum you can afford, brand is really not gonna be important, and add a bunch of sweet, sugary nonsense to it. Juice, triple sec, grenadine, soda, syrup, pureed pie filling, whatever you want. As long as it is very sweet, and easy to drink, if you mix it with dark rum, you're gonna be plastered before your stomach knows what happened. I say dark rum because it is easier on the stomach. If you don't suffer from alcohol induced stomach upset, or white rum isn't a problem for you, try flavored rums like Malibu or Midori. Drink those straight on ice or mix them with something (try a Malibu sour!)

My favorite cocktail involves Gin. Right now, I drink BeefEater. Fill an 8 oz glass with ice, 2oz gin, 1.5 oz Chambord (raspberry liqueur) and the squeezings and spent rind of a wedge of lime. Cover the glass, and give it a few shakes. Top with grapefruit soda. Yes, it'll be pink. There's nothing I can do about that. But it tastes good, and has a very sneaky intoxication. The other downside is Chambord costs a pretty penny.

No matter what you drink, even if you keep trying shitty vodka, cocktails never taste good when improperly mixed. Try one or two ounces of hard liquor for every six ounces of non-alcoholic mixer. The whole point of cocktails is to avoid having to taste shitty booze.

6. happilyinlove

happilyinlove with myself :p

Hahah that stomach rolling happens to me with Southern Comfort (bad experience as a teen) and most whiskey, though I do like whiskey sours to an extent (they have way too much sugar for my taste).

I like Rose wine. Especially with ice. Its nice to just chill at home with a glass. Also wine spritzers.

You say you chug, maybe slow your roll on chugging? Liquor isn't really meant to be chugged, per say. You're young, idk how experienced you are with drinking. I've been doing it for about 14 years. Chugging liquor can be very dangerous. Please be careful.

Other than that, I agree that you should try some mixed drinks. Get a booklet or look online for a bartenders mixer guide. That will help since you're not old enough to order them from a bar yet.

7. M2D

M2D Member

if you're going to do vodka do goose and maybe cranberry juice

if you're going to do whiskey try rye whiskey (crown royal, canadian club) and coke or ginger

if you're going to do rum try something like appleton and coke