I Fought The Law... And I Won?

Discussion in 'Busted!' started by Colimon, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Colimon

Colimon Cheesus Christo

Hey there guys. This is probably going to be a long story that I don't expect you to read and it doesn't necessarily have to do with weed, but it does have to do with getting busted...

Around this time last year, I was thinking of creative side ways to make money. One of the ones I tried out with a bit of success was buying and selling things from classified ads. Through these purchases, I met some questionable, younger characters who would contact me whenever they had any cheap electronics to sell. I asked them person to person about the legitimacy of the source of these items, but they were tight lipped and they seemed bratty and rich enough (from their clothing) to reasonably be trading in these things. Well, one day they offered me some strange items: AEDs. They had no fucking clue what they had nor what those things were worth. I knew something fishy was up, but I took advantage of the situation and offered them a couple hundred for the pair. I asked again if the items were "hot", but they assured me it was from a friend's business that was closing. Since I've taken many a first aid course, I understood exactly what these were and how much I could fetch for them, so my greedy ass went for it.

About a month of them sitting around not doing much, I decided to put an ad up to sell them. I noticed a few people were eager to contact me and they said more or less the same things (as if copy and pasted). At first I thought they were up to something, but I dismissed it as savvy buyers trying to jump on the purchase. Then, the guy kept calling me and talking about how it would be so great to have these for his curling club that he was a member of. Why would a member be buying items that the management should be buying? He was oddly specific that we had to meet at a certain fast food restaurant parking lot. I skipped out on meeting him the first day, a friend's sister also died so I told him I wasn't really feeling in the mood for it.

He calls me up a day or two later wondering if they are still available, saying how sorry he is that I had to attend a funeral. I told him I'd get back to him... I decided to call him back thinking I was letting paranoia get the best of me. Sure enough, he won't accommodate much and insists I meet him at that same brand of restaurant closest to me. Perhaps he was just an odd guy like that? I show up early and have a look see around the parking lot and area. He asks what car I'm in and what I look like. I just told him that I was there and I would be meeting him inside because I felt uncomfortable with the amount of cash that would soon be exchanging hands. He seemed overall uncomfortable with my idea, but any reasonable non-suspicious person would come inside, so he eventually did. He circles around the restaurant after I told him I was in the corner having a coffee. Dude in his 30s, ball cap, looked clueless as ever. Something about this let my guard down. He sits down awkwardly, briefly observes the AEDs but doesn't test their function. Curling was also on the television, but he paid no mind to it when mentioned. I started to become anxious again. The tip of the iceberg is when he nervously said he had the money in his car and I should come out to the lot with him (I hadn't negotiated a price with him yet). As he was going out the one door, I decided "fuck it, this is a robbery or a bust, I'm not sticking around for this!" I took off without the AEDs and out the opposite door.

"Police! Police!" To my sort-of-surprise, I am being grabbed by about 10 officers! It was awkward as all hell cause they all wanted to grab a piece of me but like two of them would have sufficed. I sighed and calmed down instantly because I knew I had been caught and knew I had semi-knowingly gotten myself into this mess by dealing with scumbags. I told them I lived in an apartment nearby even though they had my ID with that info. They drive me to the front of my place at the time and knocked on the door. My landlord answered, let them in for a few moments. He managed to keep them out of the upstairs apartments (thank god), but they still came out with my school bag I had left at the door (they told him he had no choice but to give it to them because he let them in). They look even more pleased with themselves and I wonder what's going on. They told me I had a "Saturday night special" in there. I laughed and clarified that it was essentially a cap gun that could only start flares (it was a signal pistol). It was in a case and had been in the bag because I picked it up from the post office. They wanted to know more, but I stopped talking because they just wanted something out of me and I wasn't helping myself.

At the station, to my dismay, on top of trafficking in items obtained by crime charge, they declared I was also to be charged with possessing synthetic marijuana and several felonious gun charges (everything to do with non registered to prohibited weapon). I didn't really understand the full gravity of the situation, as I was confident there weren't illegal substances in my bag and that the signal pistol I had purchased was legal. It also didn't seem serious because I had a shotgun locked up in my apartment and a license for it (don't have to register shotguns anyways). They would not listen to me when I provided a license and the freakin receipts, saying that I wasn't qualified to have a pistol that small and the charge still stuck. They suggested that since the flare attachment unscrewed, items could be fired out of the barrel propelled by blanks therefore making it a gun. It made no fucking sense, especially because I could just order a real god damn pistol if I wanted to! There is no licensing requirement for signal pistol either which made it that much more ridiculous. I refused to talk any more about that.

They repeatedly tried to say I was admitting to having "synthetics" because they found a label in my bag that read something like "Research chemicals are potentially dangerous. Please read the MSDS provided for additional information. For laboratory use only, do not consume." Yes, because I would keep illegal substances in a bag with that label... Lol. The one detective acted like he knew a lot of information about RCs (even though he only knew the word "synthetic" and that they were "all illegal" apparently). I refused to speak any more about it, even though they tried to trick me over and over by looping back unexpectedly into questions about it.

Eventually, they degraded to straight up cornering me in the cell without recorders since their interview didn't yield much for them. They started yelling at me, calling me a piece of shit who stole the items and urged me to confess to stealing a list more that I had no idea about. They said I was out to rob and shoot people and they would make sure I was going to prison for a long time because I wouldn't sign off on that crap. The one piggy said he was the only one qualified to "clear" my pistol, yet he kept asking me how to unload it. He almost started threatening me because I refused to talk and he went on and on about how inhumane I was because he could be "injured" by a blank gun. I told him that he should be re-qualified for that position if he can't figure out a damn signal pistol. Believe me, I was very calm and collected up until that point, now I was slightly annoyed with the harassment. The one cop said he'd "bet his mortgage" that the items were going to be positive for a gun and drugs. I started saying I felt uncomfortable and that I felt they were threatening me. The supposed gun qualified cop kept going red faced, picking his words wisely and turning away as to not boil over. He had to leave when I called him "hipster cop"! It looked like he hadn't been shopping since high school (skinny jeans that didn't even fit, greased over hair, small alexis on fire band shirt that exposed his beer belly). His partner almost laughed at that, but chose not to! The remaining one then gave me a speech: "The absence of truth is still a lie." I asked him a question that stumped him. "Do you lie to do your job?" He nervously laughed and said no, he was honest. I said "Either A) that's a straight up lie in itself or B) you are the worst detective ever"... Needless to say, he sort of smirked, but at the same time it got to him because he left as well...

They straight up stole my cell phone and some of my college books/papers in attempts to further ruin my day, not even marking them down as evidence (bummer man)! I went to jail and the crown was against bail at first. Funny how quickly that changed as soon as I called in a favor from a family friend who happened to be a lawyer. I got bailed no problems next court day. During the course of my court visits, it was beautiful to see the prosecution's case crumble before them. The drugs came back negative (presumed parsley). Ah! I did have about 0.2g of DPT soaked parsley which must have been left in my bag unbeknownst to me! Oh well, completely legal "synthetic" here in Canada, whadayaknow? Over the next couple visits, the official fire arms officer didn't even have to do a test to determine the signal pistol wasn't a fire arm and was specifically a legal model under Canadian law. Go figure... My lawyer then argued that if over half the charges against me were essentially bogus, I shouldn't face punishment or conviction for the trafficking in stolen items charge.

The crown still wanted something, so they agreed to reduce the charge to minor trafficking and give me a discharge (admittance of guilt but no conviction/punishment). All silly charges to do with guns or drugs were withdrawn. I fully accepted this outcome as I had done something wrong and should have checked my sources better in the first place. It blows my mind that they didn't plant more evidence to seem extra convincing though. The fact that they thought they had a case with such bullshit evidence showed their gross incompetence when it comes to the law. In the detectives own words: "I don't give a fuck, I just charge people. The court decides if you're guilty or not." However, I am really fucking lucky. I realize that. If I didn't have the contacts/finances that I do, I'd pretty much be in prison getting boinked in the bottom for at least 5 years. In this rare case, justice prevailed and I am thankful for that. I am stoked that my gun license is still valid (I guess they didn't even contact my CFO out of pure embarrassment) and that I can finish the semester.

Take care everyone, sorry for the painfully long post.

1 person likes this.
  2. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Sounds like corupt cops.[​IMG]

3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

TL;dr

I'll just..

:Iagree:

4. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

carrying that signal gun around is a dumb thing to do

im sure you already know though that pulling that thing out even in self defense will result in exactly the same charges as if it was a loaded .357

5. Colimon

Colimon Cheesus Christo

That's the problem, it wasn't being carried around. it was in my bag after being picked up from the post office. I didn't have the bag on me at the time of arrest. They coerced my landlord into giving them the bag as it was left at the front door in the foyer. Fire arms are not to be pointed at anybody for any reason in Canada unless you're the cops.

6. SG69

SG69 Member

Sounds like the cops here in a part of Alabama called Pelham. Always trying to get you to admit shit so they get the upper hand. Had like 5 of them on me at a concert one time for a joint. One oinker tried to say he had me on video that the weed I was smoking was mine.

I told him I have the right to remain silent and it wasn't mine just a J getting passed around. I got let go because I have no prior criminal charges or current charges on me and they didn't find anything else on me after a pat fown. The joint was mine though so I lied to a cop, oops! Shit happens. They kicked me out of the concert though, which pissed me off.