I Am So Old ...

Discussion in 'Remember When?' started by Shale, Apr 25, 2013.

1. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Lots of chrome too! No seatbelts! No bluetooth!

rollingalong likes this.
  2. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

i remember when waking up was a good feeling

3. Just got a new car (old one died a natural death) It's got screens and lots of things that are beeping at us. We are fucking nervous wrecks by the time we get to our destination! The fucking handbook is the size of an old fashioned telephone directory!
    the best (or worse) of it is that this is the standard, no bells or whistles model!

skip, creampie00 and rollingalong like this.
  4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I don't remember that...

themnax, rollingalong and Ged like this.
  5. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Harry's Pizza, 10 cents a slice, favorite stop when the munchies hit.

Draft beer 10 cents at the Polish club in the early 70's, boilermaker (shot and a beer) 35 cents.
    We got in with fake ID's and we often watched the bartender and his wife get in fights behind the bar and throw things at each other.

Winkys was also a favorite destination while cruising on weekends.
    [​IMG]

skip, rollingalong and GLENGLEN like this.
  6. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i used to drink a lot more. waking up was the worst back then.

7. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

............A candy bar used to cost 25 cents

rollingalong likes this.
  8. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

i am so old other posters remember a 25 cent candy bar when i can clearly remember buying 2 candy bars plus a 5 cent pack of gum for that same 25 cents....those candy bars are now a dollar and a half at least

9. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

So old I can't remember any candy bars.

rollingalong likes this.
  10. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

They were a nickle for me. I and my friends shot pool where they still had brass spitoons! Free swimming lessons at the high school pool on summer mornings and then 10 cents to swim from 1:eek:clock until 5 and then another 10 cents to swim from 7 to 9. It was always in the high 90s and in the late summer, well over a hundred, so swimming was important.

11. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

to get on a city bus it was 10 cents.......by the time i was 16 it was up to a quarter...2.50 now where i live

1000 lsd tabs for 300 dollars also when i was 16....white barrel...it was mild but clean

i remember when an ounce of gold and an ounce of blond leb hash were the same price....110 dollars

skip and scratcho like this.
  12. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Here's one.
    How many people remember dancing around a Maypole in elementary school?

Does anybody still do this? We had one on a little stage in the basement of our elementary school. The school was originally a four room schoolhouse, from who knows when, that had four additional rooms built on in about 1957.
    Seems to me the Maypole dance was thrown out in, like, 1960 or so because it was a pagan ritual or something.

skip likes this.
  13. themnax

themnax Senior Member

when i was little it was a dime. when my parents were kids it was a nickle.
    when it first went up to 20 cents, i think that was the same day i saw the movie close encounters, i thought they were being ridiculous.

never saw rain man. flowers for algernon was too heavy for me. read the book first though.

14. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

The Movie Charly 1968 was based on the book Flowers for Algernon

15. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i had forgotten the name of the movie. i'm pretty sure i read the story serialized in analog or one of the other science fiction periodicals, at least a year or two before 68.

16. A bag of sweets with a small toy was 3d which was a quarter of a shilling. there were 20 shillings in a pound so 1/80th of a pound which is equivalent to in today's parlance is 1.25 pence. Today's price maybe 75p - £1 if your lucky and shop at the cheap stores.

17. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

When gas was under $3

18. themnax

themnax Senior Member

gas was 90 cents, diesel was 25, but the only place you had to drive was if you were going out in the woods somewhere.
    any place there was a major highway there were greyhound and trailways and usually a railroad that ran passenger trains too.

and before the interstate, the train would get you there often as soon or sooner then driving or the bus.
    at least up in the mountains where i lived.

my ideas about freedom though, come from a time when the u.s. bragged about letting people in
    and if you didn't live in a city, you didn't need a permit to build any damd thing you felt like,
    and land was cheap enough in relation to income, it was like the way computers are now.

(and if you did live in a city there were lots of public transit, and dozens of 'intercity' trains and buses out of town.
    and these included local schedules that would stop at even the smallest wide places in the road,
    and even people who had a car would ride them for long trips and not have to deal with driving)

so many things have changed their whole way of doing things more then once.
    the demographics of business for example.

schools providing transportation as well as lunches was a given. even secondary schools.
    there was no such thing as a student parking lot until you got to college.

as for how much things cost though, that's kind of a give that the majority of things will always continue costing more.

i've been told in principal you can have capitalism without inflation. i've never seen that happen any time in my life though. i've seen it dip below ten percent occasionally, but i've never seen it go all the way to zero or beyond.

might have something to do with i've never seen population increase do so either.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  19. Badamy

Badamy Visitor

$1.10 for a pack of Marlboros
    $1.12 for a gallon of gas
    Atari game console
    4 channels on TV
    The house phone
    Oh..MTV! First video? "Video killed the radio star"
    fuck I'm old.

20. old tiger

old tiger Senior Member

old rockn'rollers never die..me and my friend Glen Glen are over 70...and still horny as hell(ahah)

GLENGLEN and Badamy like this.