I am listless

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by Americunt, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Americunt

Americunt Corporate Hack

I enjoy my job. It is fast-paced, and new. I'm learning a lot of things. But then work is over and I go home, and nothing is interesting. Food, music, movies, video games- all things I used to enjoy, now it just doesn't do anything for me. I'm too broke at the moment to get a new hobby. I'm not sure if this is simple depression or something deeper. I'm not even sure what else to write at this point. There is no punch line here.

Irminsul likes this.
  2. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

It could be mild depression. Maybe try pushing to work out if you're not already because that can really improve mood and just create a sense of peace. I find it does. :) Meditation may help, too.

1 person likes this.
  3. Americunt

Americunt Corporate Hack

I thought about exercising...does that count?? :D

1 person likes this.
  4. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

lol It's a start! :D

5. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I think exercise is a good idea; it certainly helped me emerge from deep in the doldrums.

Why do you think you are feeling this way? What about work seems to stave off the sadness that is creeping into the rest of your life? I wonder if it is the sense of goal, self-growth and purpose. In that case, you might want to look into taking a few college courses. Perhaps attend an affordable community school or other place of learning?

1 person likes this.
  6. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I have been feeling this way too but I always get like this this time of year. Maybe you have a touch of seasonal depression?

I'm actually going to work out right now, it really does help

Irminsul and Americunt like this.
  7. Americunt

Americunt Corporate Hack

It's a new job. It's mentally challenging, and I'm constantly busy with something. I'm actually learning a lot on the job, which I like better than your typical classroom setting. Plus, I feel more accomplished.

I was wondering if maybe that could be part of it.

8. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

Maybe try reading a few novels? If you have a library near you it won't cost you anything. I find a good novel can really absorb you mentally. I got out of the habit years ago, but am now starting to enjoy reading again. I go through phases of the blues in my life. I think modern life is hard anyway, and artificial in many ways. You just have to keep on keeping on, and good things will eventually come along.

Americunt likes this.
  9. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

BTW don't mistake depression as an explanation. Depression is a mood symptom, and it doesn't exist in isolation from what's going on in someone's life.

Americunt likes this.
  10. Americunt

Americunt Corporate Hack

I actually ended up joining Book of the Month, so I've got a few to read now.
    Part of me wonders if I find modern life so empty because it's not spiritually fulfilling. I've been working on that aspect too.

11. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

When I get involved in a new project, it can completely take over my life and I remember the day that I was getting really frustrated that no one seemed to be answering their phones. Then someone reminded me that it was Sunday. On one occasion this went on for 6 years, by which time I needed to catch up on a few everyday things like getting my hair cut. Some people said that my end product was a miracle, but i did not have to look like Jesus.

Americunt likes this.
  12. Americunt

Americunt Corporate Hack

I got invited to a spiritual healing group session, I'm hoping I can make a few connections there and maybe start doing yoga or something.

Joshua Tree likes this.
  13. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

i make lists

and check them twice

[​IMG]

14. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

You might want to check out the 1st post in this thread
    Treating Depression and Anxiety

Yoga sounds like it would be worth a try. You might want to get checked for a vitamin D deficiency, and a number of other conditions that can mimic, or worsen depression.

15. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Yoga is for people that want to pretend they are exercising, but they are not really, just doing stretches and carry around a silly little purple mat and a beetroot and cucumber smoothie

16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

It brings me the inner peace!

17. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Stretching is really good for you though

Yoga is really just meant to get your body loose so you can relax during meditation, it was never intended as an exercise but it can be a good component to add to an exercise routine to relieve soreness and what not

But the beetroot smoothie though...and $100 yoga leggings and mats with pretty patterns on them and paying $25 to take one class and instagramming yourself to show off your yoga moves..just, ugh. Western culture has perverted the hell out of yoga

18. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

this is me too. it's only a problem when i get into the new project before the old project is finished. or if my new project is something totally unimportant like playing through a new video game.

19. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

Have you ever actually practiced yoga?

20. Americunt

Americunt Corporate Hack

I could benefit from some stretching, and I don't mind beets.