HVAC technicians

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by GetLifted20, Jul 23, 2011.

1. GetLifted20

GetLifted20 Member

Is anybody on here an HVAC technician, I'm thinking about going to college for this, I know I change my mind a lot but I'm trying to decide what I want to do for a career. I heard that HVAC techs are in high demand, that it will be really easy to find a job. Anyway does anybody know if HVAC techs are only drug tested upon employment and in work related accidents, or are they randomly drug tested all the time?

2. deleted

deleted Visitor

Hvac is one the simplest trades you can have skill in and make tons of money. Everyone needs heat and cooling..
    from service, to electrical, plumbing, duct working and construction..
    but remember youll need learn many these fields here to be cert HVAC.

3. GetLifted20

GetLifted20 Member

Yeah I was looking into a tech school to go for restaraunt management and then I saw that the HVAC technology program is only 15 months long and that the job is in high demand so I thought it would be a good idea. Are you an HVAC technician...do you know anything about drug testing policies of these companies I'm not planning on going to work stoned or anything, but I just want to get high once in a while after work.

4. Mason Grey

Mason Grey Member

HVAC is a real reliable and solid trade. :2thumbsup: it is fairly easy to get jobs in...
    everyone does drug testing very different...

i do HVAC as part of my job, i do apartment maintenance and management.
    HVAC is a really good trade.

5. GetLifted20

GetLifted20 Member

Oh cool, are you still able to smoke weed?...and how much do you make an hour?

6. indydude

indydude Senior Member

HVAC is a good trade. Little worry your job will be off shored to China. Expect to be drug tested when your hired. After your in the job for awhile you can relax and toke up. Dont get injured though. IT's getting more common employers will drug test when you get injured on the job.

7. GetLifted20

GetLifted20 Member

Yeah I figured they'd drug test me when I got hired, I was worried about random drug tests cuz that pretty much guarantees that I wouldn't be able to smoke, but I have to problem with quitting for a while until after I get the job.

8. deleted

deleted Visitor

9. GetLifted20

GetLifted20 Member

Nice haha I've never done nitrous doesn't it kill brain cells or something. I just hope I don't have to give up smoking, hopefully the company I work for doesn't drug test randomly.

10. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

the rate of pay varies

the rate of drug testing depends on the company

11. GetLifted20

GetLifted20 Member

Yeah I guess that's the way it is for most careers though.

12. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

Id classify HVAC as a job or a business (if you start your own)..Id definitely not call it a career choice lol

its a trade

13. GetLifted20

GetLifted20 Member

Well yeah I'm definitely gunna go back to college but I want to earn some money first.

14. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

college is a waste of time...if you want to be an HVAC tech just try and see if any local companies will hire you as an apprentice...some will without any college...some wont

if you can start now do it...better to be a paid apprentice than to pay for college and delay it all for a year if the college shit isnt even needed

15. GetLifted20

GetLifted20 Member

Well if I go to school for a year, I will be certified and can work as HVAC anywhere in the country...but what I meant was I was gunna work for a while and save up money and then go back to college to be something else.

16. Justin_Hale

Justin_Hale ( •_•)⌐■-■ ...(⌐■_■)

A lot of tech jobs require you to have complete installation skills also.

I recommend you spend a little time in a sheetmetal shop, and some time installing ductwork in the field. Before, or while you're in school.

Don't expect big money popping fresh out of tech school. Employers are usually looking for experienced techs. The more you know, the more money you'll get.

Where I live they are always hiring 'retrofitters'.

And if the company drug tests when they hire, they can do it again for no reason given to you and whenever they want. But it costs them money so you would have to give them a reason to, really.

I'm a commercial installer, btw.

17. Mothman

Mothman Senior Member

Call a few HVAC companies and ask what they are looking for and what it pays. You might get someone who will answer a few questions for you. Make sure you would like that kind of work before you invest yourself into it. It's a great idea though.

18. debka

debka Guest

Yep...HVAC technician is definitely a good choice for your careere path. Regarding a good college - try this HVACR Technician School in Phoenix, AZ. I know a friend who studied there and loved every minute of it. Best of luck.

19. desert-rat

desert-rat Senior Member

Do drugs and you run the risk of falling off a roof , a lot of stuff in on roofs. Even a little beer will cut down your ability to think . Sniffing freon can make your heart stop beating . Its not posinious , but not the best stuff to inhale . People would do r12 a few years ago , I am not sure if any does r 22 , 134a , or r 410 . This would be a violation of the sec 608 and 609 laws http://www.epa.gov/ozone/title6/608/technicians/608certs.html You must enjoy cooking your brain in the heat while hauling heavy parts and equment around . Who needs drugs when you can fry your brain in the hot sun ! desert rat