how to build a temescal/sweat lodge

Discussion in 'Free School' started by TheMistress, Jun 4, 2013.

1. TheMistress

TheMistress Senior Member

Hello, I wasn't sure under what category to post this, so I apologize if this is not the right forum.

I would like to build my own temazcal or sweat lodge for the purpose of performing spiritual cleanses. I am unsure of how to go about constructing it. If anyone has some ideas I would really appreciate any suggestions or reading on the topic.

Thank you!

2. desert-rat

desert-rat Senior Member

3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I think the frame is usually birch or another flexible wood that is stuck in the ground and lashed together at the top. Then covered with blankets and hides.

There is a fire pit outside the lodge that is used to heat rocks. Heated rocks are carried inside the lodge and set into a pit inside the lodge and water is poured onto the hot rocks creating steam. Sometimes herbs are tossed on the hot rocks scenting the steam. Those tending the fire and carrying rocks are not part of the "sweat" but they tend and help with the mundane workings of the ceremony. There is also someone that tends the door flap, opening it so fresh rocks can be moved into and out of the lodge. This door warden says prayers every time the flap opens or closes....

Usually it's a good idea to have native guides show you or attend a sweat and be one of the helpers... Cutting wood, tending the fires, etc so you can see some of the inner workings of a real sweat.

4. desert-rat

desert-rat Senior Member