How Do You Clean Your Glass?

Discussion in 'Show Your Piece' started by MayQueen~420~, Oct 6, 2010.

1. MayQueen~420~

MayQueen~420~ ♫♪♫♪

How do you guys clean your glass pipes and stuff? I've used the 420 cleaner before, but it's still really hard to get all the crevasses. Also, are there any ways to clean my glass without harmful chemicals?

2. Spicey Cat

Spicey Cat DMT Witch (says husband)

Depends . . . Thicker glass can take hot water under high pressure. This definately helps. Also, traditional pipe cleaners but with the scratchy wire things in them really help . . .

Regarding harmful chemicals, . . . i do like to clean glass with 99% ISA (isopropyl alcohol), sometimes combined with pipe cleaners. Once it is clean i let it evaporate for a few days, then rinse with plain hot water and let drip dry . . . No chemicals remain.

3. willow79

willow79 Member

I agree. I have used the 420 before and I think it works wonders...but a good ol' pipe cleaner and alcohol works well as does boiling water if the glass is sturdy enough and can handle the pressure.

4. PB_Smith

PB_Smith Huh? What? Who, me?

Make a slurry with salt and iso alcohol, enough salt so it doesn't dissolve completely. Then just shake, rattle and roll that slop around. The salt will help scrub it and get those nooks and crannies.

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I just soak my bong in hot water with dish washing liquid for about half an hour and then use bottle brushes to wipe away the scum. Works pretty well. I only have clear glass bongs because I prefer to see them clean instead of the pottery ones where all sorts of bad monsters could hide inside.

mysticblu21 likes this.
  6. MayQueen~420~

MayQueen~420~ ♫♪♫♪

Thanks guys, those were all very helpful suggestions. I'm gonna try the salt and alcohol slurry.

7. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

you don't? i prefer my pipes to build up.. its like an investment.. dont get me wrong.. once in a blue moon i will boil my pieces.. but overall... they never get cleaned

8. MayQueen~420~

MayQueen~420~ ♫♪♫♪

When pipes get dirty they taste nasty and make me cough more.

HarryD420 and Phanstar like this.
  9. tiny

tiny Member

coughing is good for you and most pipes are meant to be resonated

10. NepKire

NepKire Member

I agree. I like to watch my colors change in my gold/silver fumed pieces but they get cleaned often because I like clean hits.

I clean my bong out with isopropyl alcohol and Epsom salt. I use corks to fill the mouth and down stem holes. It takes about 5-10mins al together but my bongs clean like new each time for fresh green hits.....mmmmm yum.

Lemme see if I can post a pic of my bong(s)

11. Jedite83

Jedite83 Van Dweller

I like to clean my pieces semi-regularly.
    I use 91% rubbing alcohol and Epsom salt. Jus tpore it int he bong (or a bag if cleaning a small pipe) and shake for 30 seconds. Rinse well.

12. MellowViper

MellowViper Member

isopropyl alcohol. I just let it soak in there, then I run hot water through it and put it out to dry. Theoretically, you could let the alcohol completely dry, then scrape the remaining resin off and smoke it. I've never done this though.

13. NepKire

NepKire Member

Yuk, resin is fukin disgusting.

Here are the bongs I use

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Vapemaster

Vapemaster Captain of a sinking ship

Nice slide collection and I like how the 'tubes' on the bongs look "invisible".

15. NepKire

NepKire Member

Thanks vapemaster.
    BTW I am about to order an Aromed Vaporizor. I'm pretty excited.

16. Travis34

Travis34 Member

That is one sick collection dude!

But as said before, isopropyl all the way! Someone said you could let the resin dry out and smoke it? The alcohol doesn't remain?

17. GardenGuy

GardenGuy Senior Member

Isopropyl has an added substance that induces vomiting. The resin is that same stuff after the alcohol is evaporated off, so yes, either wash or scrape it off.

Not sure if this will help, but I used to use glacial acetic acid to clean glassware, but it is wicked stuff full-strength, be real careful if you try it (use gloves, keep nose away from open bottle). Also ask a chemist about potential reaction of acetic acid droplets with anything you add to glassware later on. In theory, your acetic acid would be entirely rinsed away with de-ionized water, but real life is messy, so have a "what if" plan.

18. G0dm4ch1n3

G0dm4ch1n3 Senior Member

19. Nostromo

Nostromo Member

I don't.

But I mainly had one glass pipe, medium size with a full bowl, and I had it for over twenty years - never cleaned it. To me it was well-seasoned. I loved it that way.

Then I left it at a friends house. When he called to tell me I left it over (I hadn't even noticed yet), he asked me if I wanted him to clean it. I politely declined (I said, "NO WAY!! DON'T CLEAN IT! :) ).

Next time I was ove, he brought it out. It was shiny clean. Obviously he had already cleaned it when we talked - and then asked me - hoping for a "yes".

But that wasn't the worst of it. He broke it while he was cleaning it. A large long sliver down the whole side had broken off! Somehow that was it - just one large single piece had broke off. He still has the (lovely clean) parts, and it going to "fix it" one of these days. When he does I'll tell him he can have it. It's his now! :p

20. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

:tearsofjoy: