Homeschooling for the sensitive child

Discussion in 'Home Schooling' started by daisymelan, Oct 2, 2009.

1. daisymelan

daisymelan Professional fence sitter

I'm just looking for ppl to share thier experiences on this. My ds (age 4) did not cope with the junior kindergarten program available where we currently are. We are moving back to our old region to try and get him enrolled in a school that has much more access to aids and help for him. He has general anxiety and gets frozen with terror when in a group situation with children. (It does not happen around adults even when not wtih his parents).

Anyone have a story to share? Whether successful or unsuccessful?

I had to stay at the school because he could not cope. I was there for 2.5 hours for three days and nothing imrpoved. Last year at his special needs school it took 6 weeks for me to drop him off without crying. I cannot put him through it without the support of an aid ro adult support and I simply cannot be there because I have another child that is still at home. Plus, it doesn't seem to healthy for me to be the transitional object.

Thanks.

2. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

We're homeschooling our 4 grader and our highschool senior at the moment. Though we've not had to deal with the same issues you are dealing with, I can see a homeschool environment coupled with activities with a homeschoolers group being a positive thing for your son.

Have you looked into homeschool groups in your are at all? We came from California to Alaska and both places had quite a few options for groups to get together with, from basically just play groups to actual learning coops. So they get the benefits of homeschooling with as much group socialization as you choose.

I've found these homeschool groups vary in what kind of people they are made of. Alot of different types of people homeschool, but It seem very right-wing, conservative Christians or quite liberal hippie types make up a large percentage of these. I've found it much more comfortable to hang out with more like minded people, so we've chosen our groups carefully.

3. daisymelan

Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it.

We're in the process of choosing a permanent location for our family and are waiting for our house to sell. I'm nervous that I will just get into teh swing of things and then end up doing a huge move across country... (our goal is to make it to Ontario but boucning between here and Alberta).

I will certainly look into groups in my area. I know a family that is homeschooling in our current location and have received a lot of advice and support from them already.

I agree with your statement about how the mix would do well for my son. He does well even if children are aged 10-12... just not peers. I hope I have the luck of having many groups to choose from if this is the way we go.

Thank you again. =)

4. raz5

raz5 زینب

have you ever though about getting him an occupational therapists through the school? my one nephew is 3 years old now, and had teachers come to his house to get him ready for going to pre-school to help his senses and feelings

5. daisymelan

I would love if that could happen. I could possibly try it by accessing my hubby's benefits... but the school he tried to attend offered very little support. The only suggestion was a modified school day... which we were already doing. In fact, I'm absolutely disgusted with teh treatment we have received here. In Alberta he was awarded funding by the provincial gov to help him with various issues he has and they were completely willing ot work with us. Where we are in Ontario... nothing. Absolutely nothing other than a speech pathologist. They put him in a class with 17 other kids and that was about what they were willing ot offer. Pathetic.

6. raz5

raz5 زینب

oh wow, well you see my youngest nephew (boston) he had very bad social problems, and didn't like to be around many people so my sister arranged these two occupational therapist teachers that analyzed him, then they would come to the house once or twice a week and work with any skills he needed help with. when the visits were over they sent him to about a month long summer camp/school, where he freaked out the first few days getting on the bus and my sister would have to help him, but then started to love it. he'd come home very happy and now he's enrolled in preschool.

my oldest nephew (anthony) he has aspergers syndrome so his social skills are off very much, he wasn't diagnosed with this until last year, not that long ago and he is 9 years old. he started going to a therapist also, and now he's taking special classes in school that he should be out of by next year. they wanted to put him on medication but my sister opted not to.
    it could have been treated if we got him in earlier to see a neurologist...

but see what you can do, especially since your son is young right now, try and help treat it earlier than later...
    what i always say to my sister is that now that anthony is older he is going to remember this stuff and it may make him feel weird and confused as he gets older, with boston he is still young and wont remember much of the counseling and tantrums

:)

7. daisymelan

Thanks for the comments raz. It sounds like it worked out very well for the younger child. My son was in a special school for an entire year where there was a pyschologist, occupational therapist, speech therapist, teacher in his classroom and he also had a dedicated aid with him while at the school. Even with all this support, ti took 6 weeks for him to even be dropped off without tears. Trust that we have sought much help and received tons, but I cannot see school as being truly effective if we cannot receive more support.

He has been diagnosed with general anxiety so you can see we already understand and know what we are dealign with, but do not have any resources at our disposal where we live. Unless we can have a full time aid or something similar dedicated, I'm afraid school will not be an option for him until he is older.