Home-Made Utterly Butterly Margarine?

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by The Walking Dickhead, Dec 2, 2016.

1. The Walking Dickhead

The Walking Dickhead orbiter of helion

No way! I like the marmite sparingly with loads of margarine.

Probably. Yeah it'll probably separate out as it cools... never thought about that.

2. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Not if its whipped well. That will emulsify the mixture.

3. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Food fraud alert. There is a great deal of fake olive oil, ie adulterated or mislabeled. Ever tried coconut oil? Margarine is not food.

4. drumminmama

I'm spoiled. I get olive oil from a neighbor who collects and presses her own from local trees,

1 person likes this.
  5. The Walking Dickhead

Margerine is food, it's just not butter.

Don't think fake olive oil is an issue, I buy all mine from reputable supermarket chains.

I have bought cheaper brands from Aldi and that in the past, and once in Holland I bought some and it was like normal vegetable oil with green colouring, didn't look or taste right.

Can't got wrong with Bertolli though.

6. The Walking Dickhead

Tell you fucking what, if I could I'd probably use hemp oil most of the time. Love that stuff, it's bloody good for you as well.

7. drumminmama

From what I've read, there are some cases of importers mislabeling olive oil as either pure, and being a blend, or simply getting the grading wrong. Some has been Turkish, some Italian, and no real emphasis on any price point.
    I did not get the impression from my admittedly shallow reading (half a dozen reputable sources), that it was encompassing the entire trade.
    I've tried for local (and in the US that means California olives) when I can. They don't have the depth of Turkish oils, but they are pretty good. Lighter, and perhaps more crisp than fruity.

Margarine is not a whole food. It has its place (dairy avoidant or allergic people, dairy shortage).

8. The Walking Dickhead

You are there aren't some margarines that are whole food?

This is what I used to buy-

[​IMG]

Before they changed the ingredients, or decided to be more honest about them. Maybe vegetable oil was palm oil all along, I don't know.

[​IMG]

It used to be a 59% vegetable oil spread, now it's 54%.

This shit always happens to nice vegetarian/vegan foods. Supermarkets start buying them in, selling them low price, then one of the bigger companies buys the brand name and fucks it up, if that's what happened here. Happened with Cauldron, they used to do amazing tofu sausages, now they are mycoprotien or something. Real Eat used to do a nice veggie mince alternative that was quite chewy like seitan. Nice fried up crispy in a bit of olive oil and pepper and eated in a warm pita bread with mayonnaise. Then cancer food Linda McCartney bought it and "improved" the recipe, everyone stopped buying it and so now all you can get is either quorn or supermarket brand veggie mince, which I've tried and it's disgusting.

1 person likes this.
  9. drumminmama

Mock meats rarely work for me. As a once a year tip of a hat to memory, maybe.
    I'd say the color ants, added vitamins and flavor stake your two products out of whole food. But they are close, OF and that's a big if,mprocessed oils count. To some they don't.

What's interesting to me is the difference in the nutrition labels.

10. The Walking Dickhead

I prefer to stay away from the synthetics as well, but a little here and there doesn't hurt. I wish I knew how to make seitan, someone showed me once in Holland but I wasn't paying attention. Quorn is just an emergency, something to cook quick option to keep in the freezer. I only tend to use the mince, it's a bit less full of crap than all the other things they make.

11. drumminmama

The seitan recipe from Post Punk kitchen was pretty good, iirc.

1 person likes this.
  12. Bilby

Food fraud has been around for eons. https://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/484/doppelgangers

13. drumminmama

Right. That's why the US had the Pure food and drug act. And why it's a big deal to hear of it in the west, particularly.

14. Bilby

What there is legislation for and what people get away with are not always the same thing. Where I live any suspected cases of food fraud can be reported to the NSW Food Authority and they have the power to prosecute. The entire food business is complex and difficult to understand.