Help Im 16

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by BeboSour, Jun 2, 2012.

1. BeboSour

BeboSour Guest

I am a 7th grade drop out

In the 7th grade I dropped out of school I thought I had good reasons. One off those reasons was
    my teacher Ms.Kurtz. Funny thing about Ms.Kurtz is that she always had something to say to me.
    She always had to say something when I walked in her class but truth is I wasn’t a good student.
    I didn’t listen, I talked during class, and I use make jokes about her during class. Another Reason is
    that I’m lazy I hated wakening up in the morning and going to school to hear Ms.Kurtz talk she
    was really annoying. I didn’t have much friends in school I was kinda of an outcast. I didn’t go to
    school very often but when I did I had fun. I thought when I dropped out that I was gunna be
    ok. I said I was gunna get a GED or go to JobCorps but I didn’t motivate :(. Now I’m 16 years old don’t know what to do I don’t wanna go back to the 7th grade being 16 what should I do .

I regret dropping out till this day even tho im 16 I don’t know what to do Please give me some advice

2. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

Get an education now. It'll be extremely difficult to get one later.

3. walsh

walsh Senior Member

You could become a modern Diogenes. Diogenes lived in ancient Greece and rejected social and educational institutions. He debated with philosophers like Plato and lived in a barrel to demonstrate man had no need for anything from society.

[​IMG]

4. BTS

BTS Member

help im 42, meaning of life?

5. BeboSour

BeboSour Guest

but how i dont know what to do

6. Death

Death Grim Reaper Lifetime Supporter

go to the office and say "i want to go back to school. I don't think they'll put you in a regular class full of 7th graders, being 16 and all. They probably have a remedial class for you that eventually you can work out of into regular grade with other 16 year olds.

7. redcloud

redcloud Member

All hobos are like Diogenes, of course!

Get back to school is my piece of advice. The longer you wait, the harder it will be. If you really can't, then get schooling from home. I'm not saying home-schooling because not everyone can be home-schooled by their parents, it takes a lot of qualities.

You may regret this now, but you may regret it even more if you thought about going back at 16 and not doing it. At 30, it won't matter at what age you stopped studying. What will matter is your final level of education.

8. pita225

pita225 Member

Most schools kick you out once you hit 21. you can see if they will test and put you in the grade you test into but who knows. honestly you are probably better off getting your GED.

9. pipgirl

pipgirl Member

just go back to school

10. Eavesdrop

Eavesdrop Member

Read The Teenage Liberation Handbook by Grace Llewellyn.

11. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

I don't know where you are but in Ohio they have online high schools. I have seen commercials that indicate they are free and you certainly are still young enough to qualify. Perhaps you could look into something like that in your area.

12. Death

Death Grim Reaper Lifetime Supporter

13. arthur itis

arthur itis Senior Member

Our youngest was home-schooled from 2nd grade up to 11th, when he wanted to get back into public school. We tried, but they wanted to put him, firstly, in a "continuation school", which is an adjunct to the public school, for kids that aren't compliant, or need remedial help. It was too much like a "kids jail", in our opinion, so we decided not to go there.

Then, a friend of mine, the bass player in a band I was playing in, told me about a local public/private/online school, with accreditation. Called "Pacific Coast High School", it is located in Tustin, California, and serves the Orange County area here in SoCal. He enrolled there, just a few years ago, and then transferred to a local J.C. (junior college). From there, he went to a 4 yr state college nearby, and just graduated with a Bachelor of Arts, emphasis on classical guitar performance. He graduated "magna cum laude", which is a great honor. We're very happy for him. He plans to return to get his Master's degree.

And essentially, he was not in public school, all the way from 2nd to 11th grade. We did do some home schooling, mostly my wife, during that time, but mostly it was reading, literature-based stuff. But since getting back into school, and especially since he could do a lot of it online, he excelled. He was highly motivated to be as educated as anyone else, so he put forth the effort needed, and has gotten almost straight "A"s ever since.

When you have a goal, you do what you gotta do,,,

For another educational option, there's http://www.khanacademy.org/, if you simply want to learn. There's no diploma, however, just online learning, based on clips on Youtube and on-site quizzes.

I'm going there to brush up on my math skills, and make some headway in more advanced areas of math than my public schooling covered.

They have areas for math, business, economics, chemistry, etc. etc. Lots of areas to explore. And it guides you to where you need to be, starting with the basics.

14. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

15. andrew45

andrew45 Member

looser , you can't fight the system alone .
    except if you already know how it works .

16. babyjay

babyjay Senior Member

how do you pronounce that name? i just realized that i'm diogenes.

17. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Are you ready to work and work hard? Get up early and get to class on time everyday?
    Even if you take online classes, you need the discipline to actually DO it.

So, check out JobCorps, check out GED classes, see what alternative schools your district has. And check out online schools.
    Find out options and see which one/ones fit your need. Likely you can use online to catch up and then take a GED, or, if you find you are fast, go for a diploma.

18. redcloud

redcloud Member

[dīˈäjəˌnēz]

19. Advaya

Advaya Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I agree with the person who recommended reading The Teenage Liberation Handbook.

For the record, I am a college educated 8th grade drop out. I quit school before age 16, did some minor traveling and LOTS of living. I don't regret it at all. I went back to school part time at 20, then attended midwifery school at 22. Here I am still trucking along at 26 but that's with a LOT of educational side trips (midwifery, herbs, etc). I went without a GED but that's only because they never asked to see it, had I needed one I would have taken it.

Don't give up hope, just use it as a way to develop yourself. It CAN be a blessing if you look at it right. Hell, I had a college professor tell me he would not have done any different and I was all the better for it.

I really don't feel like I'm an exception to some rule here, I see people who have dropped out and made nothing of their lives, and I see others who have made great success of their situation. High school is not the end of the world, there is always higher education and alternatives. What do you want to do for a living? Is it something that you can be an apprentice to someone? What are your INTERESTS! How can you incorporate those interests into an educational plan? Write them down, post them here even and we can all look at them and help you with some options.

20. Peacefulove13

Peacefulove13 Member

Find out the laws for your state but usaually you can not be older than 16 and in the 8th grade or below so therefore most likely they would start you out in high school-9th grade which at the age 16 isnt really all that behind. Plus I would suggest at looking into local credit recovery programs in your area and/or online school programs.
    Its never to late brother.
    I hated school but maneged to finish a year ahead.
    I hope it all works out and for your benifit you choose to do the best.