Helium 3

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by 2Quik4U, May 19, 2008.

1. 2Quik4U

2Quik4U Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helium-3

^ That's just some general info on it.

How long do you think it'll be before the world completely denounces petrol and move towards H3? Full Ethanol use isn't realistic imo cuz we use fossil fuels for so many more things besides cars.

Do you think economic and political interests are stopping us from aggressively looking to use H3 in order to break the dependency of foriegn oil?

2. jahmerimaka

jahmerimaka Member

ethanol isnt quite as efficient as people think. yes its renewable, but just as, if not more expensive as regular fossil fuel gasoline. By increasing the ethanol production the price of corn will shoot up because it is being bought by all the ethanol producing industries, therefor all farmers will want their share of income from corn distribution, leaving other fruits and vegetables un-cared for by the growers. Which could eventualy result in not only an abundance of expensive corn, but also a lack of other fruits and vegetables making the prices soar for those as well.

and yes economic and political interests are stopping us from using alternative fuel sources. We have the simple technology that it takes to convert car engines to run on 100% water. And very efficiently at that (something like 100 gallons to 6 or 8 oz of water). But the problem is, the oil companys have been paying so much money to car manufacturers NOT to produce these h20 fueled cars, that we have ended up with a super inflated corrupt economic system (not that we didnt have that prior to this whole gas crisis, but it just made it worse.)

PS. H is hydrogen. He is helium. I havnt heard of helium fuel, but i know when using h20 as a fuel it is runing off of the hydrogen's energy i believe.

3. xexon

xexon Destroyer Of Worlds

Why don't we just do away with internal combustion all together? Hmmmm?

Don't think like you've been programmed to think.

x

4. jahmerimaka

jahmerimaka Member

you must be jesus.

<3

5. XBloodyNailPolishX

XBloodyNailPolishX Forgetful Philosopher

lol, the big oil companies will do everything possible to stop this, just like everything else.

6. xexon

My Jesus powers tell me that in about 20 years, most eveyone will drive solar charged electric vehicles.

The oil company executives will be hanged along side their manwhores, all up and down Independence Avenue several years before this happens.

Alongside all our elected officials who had a weakness for "favors" from them.

The People's Revolution will not be silenced.

x

7. The Scribe

The Scribe Member

I do not think economic interests are stopping us from developing alternatives to petroleum. I think the alternatives are not cost effective. It will take a lot of money to develop them. This discourages private investors.

Major technological break throughs, like nuclear energy and computers required government funding before private industry took the lead. Eventually green sources of energy will become economically competitive with fossil fuels. Unfortunately, by then we may have done irrepairable damage to the environment.

8. jahmerimaka

jahmerimaka Member

Well, it ofcourse depends on what alternatives you speak of. Ethanol, no. H2O, most definetly yes. You can convert your engine to run on water for a one time fee of under $100, and of course some of your time to put into labor. But you would never have to pay for gasoline again. At this point in time, we are spending $100 in gasoline in just over a week. So yes it CAN be extremely cost efficient. Hell, even gasoline can be extremely cost efficient if the price was not being inflated so much. In saudi gas is like 10 cents a gallon and they are still making money.

9. SunLion

SunLion Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Water as a fuel? Why not just put a perpetual motion machine in cars and have them run on magic?

10. xexon

11. SunLion

SunLion Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The future may offer better numbers, but as it stands now, it takes more energy to produce hydrogen than the hydrogen provides when burned. The fossil-fuel method has attained an efficiency of 72%, not counting the cost of the fossil fuel, and the electrolysis method is 21% efficient. Neither anywhere close to the 100% that would be the break-even point. All of this assumes no transporation fuel costs or other costs (and there are a great many major ones) are involved. Efficiencies above 100% are not expected until we can actually control the laws of physics, which I don't see occurring... ever. Combustion is absolutely not the answer, and an alternative is not known.

There is still no perpetual motion machine, magic, or divine intervention available to us at the moment.

12. Astrolog

Astrolog Member

Here is some mayor information about helium 3 and future of it:
    http://www.answers.com/topic/helium-3?cat=technology

The first thermonuclear power plant will be created in France by 2030. And I need to add it is a biggest hope of human kind to resolve energy problem and make it safe.

Please see artilce: http://www.iterfan.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=159&Itemid=2

Like in International Space Station almost every country on the Earth is involved into and this is second biggest project on the Earth: France will build the power plant, Chinese space transporters (H3 needs to be brought from the Moon - it do not exists on the Earth, Japanese will give technology and support and even Poland has small part in science program. England developed some very small experimental tokamaks.

You should definetely read more about it. It is very interesting topic.

Cost is $12 billion - 2x more than ISS!!! Isn't that great?

13. CanniEvergrow

CanniEvergrow Member

I cant think of anything elce to add.