Have You Ever Ended Up Hating Your Idols As People?

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by Ged, Oct 4, 2018.

1. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I think part of it is how prolific he has been in making music with Foo Fighters and other projects and how much he embodies rock.

Out of his contemporaries, who else is there that has not broken up and/or stayed relatively true to their origins?

Some of the bands have disbanded and gotten back together but with significant lineup changes: Alice in Chains, Smashing Pumpkins.

Radiohead has a tendency towards experimention that deviates from rock ethos.

Tool is more metal anyways but regardless they release an album once every ice age.

I think he was a really good drummer in Nirvana, I agree with @Meliai in regards to Foo Fighters. It's mostly ok music but it's played on the radio ALOT and I don't find myself seeking to listen to it otherwise now.

Mallyboppa likes this.
  2. ArtyB

ArtyB Members

Sammy Davis my idol, I like him even more with all this crap around

3. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Cannot stand Green Gartside, even though I used to like his music. I've had enough of the funt.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  4. papa-bear

papa-bear Members

Dead on the money sir!

5. Fixes_big_yellow_things

Fixes_big_yellow_things Members

Rewind to 1994, I was 14 and seriously In to West coast grunge scene. nirvana had gone double platimun and like a lot of youngsters I idolized my favourite band...something that kobaine actually hated lol.

And then he made the news for going in to drug rehab, and few months later for blowing off his head with a shot gun. I Hanvt idolized a person since that day
    They're just people, no person should be put on pedestal. Any person can be both amazing at something and complete idiot at the same time.

I some times wonder how kids would react these days to such a thing. Say if beaber had offed himself right at his peak.

6. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

He never bothered or annoyed me, but his music does.

7. Asmodean

The closest thing I had to an idol must be certain rockers in my early teens. I recall a mention in some news of Ozzy shitting on a white carpet in a hotel hallway while being wasted and my mom thought 'this kind of news will enlighten the boy', yet I only thought: yeah, that's my hero :grinning:

8. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

The first CD I ever bought was Smashing Pumpkins. I was disappointed to find out their singer is very right wing and hateful now. I decided to not go their concert because of this even though it was the original lineup that I felt made the good songs. It was just not worth it to me.

MochaMood likes this.
  9. new Athenian

new Athenian Members

I thoroughly detest anyone using stardom as a tool to grandstand for political causes right or left, I don't listen to anyone's music based on political viewpoint nor will I. It's the music , only the music but once they open their yaps about politics I'm done.

Furthermore I join the millions of others who're pulling the plug on politics being poured into everything. Enough already how about some peace and quiet without a bunch of blowhards yammering away about what is or is not the right way to view things.

Enough !

10. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Ozzy is an inspiration in the sense that he shows you can be drug-addled to the point of dementia yet still make good music.

Asmodean likes this.
  11. Asmodean

Haha kind of. I have the feeling the music was often saved or pulled to a higher level thanks to his band members

MochaMood likes this.
  12. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Hard to imagine a man who speaks in only vowels being capable of so many good songs on his own, for sure.

MochaMood likes this.
  13. MochaMood

MochaMood Member

Maybe this helps. In the 90's, I had a subscription to "Seventeen". It was appropriate at the time. LOL. There was a section for teens to write in about embarassing moments. One such involved Tyler being really gracious to a young lady who was too star struck to speak, thus, her embarrassment. She and a friend were shopping to kill time before the Aerosmith show to which they had tickets. They spotted him shopping, sifting through racks of jeans. They followed him at a distance, fully awed by his existence. He noticed them, but said nothing. Eventually, with a few pairs slung over his arms, he approached them and asked their advice. They squealed and squeaked, but could form no words. Exasperated, he sighed. He tried to ask again for theor opinions. They still were no use. Shaking his head, and wishing them a good afternoon, he walked away, apparently content to buy them all.

I never forgot the anecdote, and always thought it was sweet of him to attempt to engage them like that.

I also saw a YouTube video. A street performer was singing "Dream On". He was okay, not amazing. Tyler walks by, and starts singing backup! I don't think the dude recognized him. In the end, Tyler gave him his scarf or hat or something. So cool. I never watched Idol. I don't do television. But I habe a good impression of him.

rollingalong and Asmodean like this.
  14. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

I did several Aerosmith shows as a union stagehand one in particular at CNE stadium in Toronto when we were setting up their stage it was part of my gig to help Steven Tyler's roadie
    .... This was before he admitted being a sex addict under the stage it was a small room with an oxygen tank and some kind of fancy Brandy and one of those kinds of beds that you sort of seeing a doctor's office....
    During Joe Perry's solo Steven Tyler would retire under the stage where his trusted Rody would have two young ladies fully engaged and ready if you know what I mean.
    I was into Aerosmith's as a teenager trust me... ;)

MochaMood likes this.
  15. Asmodean

I lost a bit of respect for Aerosmith ever since they did that fusion rap rock song. I think it became a (comeback) hit?

16. Asmodean

Your mom should be unplugged

17. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Were you devastated by the move? Were you sitting in preschool yearning for Aerosmith to return to their roots like you remembered them pre-preschool?

MochaMood likes this.
  18. MochaMood

MochaMood Member

"Walk This Way"? It's the only reason some of us ever paid attention to them. The bassline is unforgettable. The lyrics are hilarious. For that matter, that was my introduction to hip hop. I worked backwards and then forward from there.

19. new Athenian

new Athenian Members

It's my view that we should be able to live our lives being able to attend sporting events, social gatherings and concerts etc. without being bombarded with political messaging of any sort. The people who do want this I suppose would be happy with billboards on their front lawn, or political adds on the dinner menu at their favorite restaurant.
    Some people have made every waking moment political , it's nauseating.
    It's total BS.
    Not me baby !

20. I try not to perceive idols, not I.
    I have friends & family.
    I have spirits.
    We're all part of the same thing any way...
    The actuality of anything is commensurable to the sincerity in the belief of it.
    I can hear Jimi some mornings when I pick up the guitar
    Some mornings I think that I hear Orpheus

"Follow my intentions, but don't follow me."

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2019