Happy Fourth Of July

Discussion in 'U.S.A.' started by Mallyboppa, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

This whole time of year is great, not so much this particular weekend. When most people worked in manufacturing, I guess they had to take their vacation whenever the plant was down. Now, most of us have more options. Yet, half the people I know are at Myrtle Beach right now. When they come back, they'll complain about how much time they spent stuck in traffic on US-17, and how they had to get to their favorite restaurant for dinner at 4:00 in the afternoon, only to find out that there was already a 90 minute wait for a table and the bar was so swamped that they couldn't get the bartender's attention to order a drink while they were waiting. That's not my idea of a fun weekend. Locally, fireworks shows usually include a one hour traffic jam, before and after.

If I was at a nearby mountain wilderness destination right now, people would be parking along the road because the lots are full, and they would be standing around on the hiking trails at all the narrow places, waiting for other people to pass in the other direction.

I was in the mountains last weekend and I plan to go back in a few days, after the crowds drop off. All the same things will be there, but with half as many humans.

One of the best July 4 road trips I ever did was to a WV ski resort that was having a fireworks show. We laid down on a beach towel on a steep mountainside, for a perfect viewing angle. All the sounds were different, because of the higher altitude and all the nearby slopes and big trees. Not too many people around, I guess because they assumed that all ski resorts are closed all summer. I would definitely do that trip again.

1 person likes this.
  2. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

Independence Day Bruce Springsteen

Love This Song !
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SypLYXIaciw&feature=youtu.be

3. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Although, not Saturday anymore, I thought of this song yesterday.....

They started fireworks here and there on Friday night. I don't like fireworks....
    I really don't have any feeling for the 4th of July....but am going to the neighbor's party today with lots of kids there......and tomorrow a friend is coming over for my cooking. She is starting to tell me what to cook now, and told me yesterday early in the day to make my spaghetti with garlic bread...so me being the kind soul I am, made spaghetti sauce last night at midnght until the wee hours of the morning here.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLiMy4NaSKc

4. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

I get time and a half tomorrow woot woot.

1 person likes this.
  5. Moonglow181

Well, gotta get ready to go next door....now...see you later, if you are lucky....lol
    :D

6. deleted

deleted Visitor

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  7. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Great movie I watch the DVD every other year around this time but this is my off year,

Now you’ve piqued my interest - but I refuse to give in :)

Hotwater

8. Chigurh

Chigurh Members

Americans are the greatest peoples on the planet. Bow before our badassness!

[​IMG]

We're so awesome we celebrate the 4th on the 3rd, and then again on the 4th. lol happy 4th! :D

9. hotwater

Technically this is the 4th of July weekend so slap another dog on the grill and light up those fireworks

Hotwater

1 person likes this.
  10. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

I think the ghosts of Gettysburg will forgive you.

I'll be on the battlefield in just a few weeks, making the Pickett's Charge walk, starting from the Longstreet monument. The last time I was there on the actual date, it was so hot it broke my car's air conditioner.

11. hotwater

It was 87 degrees at 2 p.m. July 3, 1863 the time of Pickett's Charge.

Lee's retreat from Gettysburg on July 4 was hampered by rain, mud and swollen creeks which suggests either a line of severe thunderstorms rolled through the region or an area of low pressure.

Hotwater

12. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

I'd like to have been a fly on the tent flap when George Meade had to explain to Lincoln in person why he couldn't be bothered with pursuing Lee to pin him against the Potomac River, which was too high for fording. You know Lincoln had to call him ten different kinds of lazy, incompetent pussy. No second chances when you screw up that big. 50,000 people dead, for nothing.

13. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Yeah, i'm with you. I'm pretty meh about this holiday. Usually by July 1 I'm sick of the heat and ready for autumn. If i had a pool it would be fun to grill out and have friends over, but since I dont grilling out usually equates to sweating buckets and avoiding wasps and yellow jackets.

Forget going to any public place, it is always way too crowded this weekend

14. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

Same here. Just enjoy the festive atmosphere, kick back and enjoy the weather.

15. Moonglow181

Hi. I am back, obviously...and now I am loved by 6 children, instead of the 3 that I see all the time. Let me tell you, I love them, too. 3 of them are visiting from Chicago. I had a great time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3fk2gfL9BU

16. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

A friend of mine received this meme from someone in the UK :D :

[​IMG]

240 years ago today, Thomas Jefferson (with a little help from Franklin and Adams) wrote to King George quite possibly the English language's most eloquent and articulate "go fuck yourself" message ever written. Unfortunately, there is no clear evidence of whether or not King George ever received the document or read it. He definitely did not directly respond to it in any way.

The first July 4th celebration in America was held in Salem, NC in 1783, following the end of the war.

1 person likes this.
  17. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

WoW Karen J! That is amazing!

Firstly I truly love the message from the UK... totally appropriate :)

And as to the Declaration...I suppose we the people should expect that after the stirringly eloquent message we sent them a short while ago.

Many thanks for posting that!

18. deleted

deleted Visitor

19. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I've seen a bunch of big trucks driving around with even bigger American flags attached to the back. Nationalism is so annoying.

Sorry to ruin your proud 'murcan party..

1 person likes this.
  20. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

thats it?

up here we get holiday pay plus time and a half

so technically its double and a half....for working on a national holiday