H.P. Lovecraft anyone?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Books' started by Allie_oop, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Allie_oop

Allie_oop Member

So I was just wondering if there were any Lovecraft fans out there. I personally love the guy. Nyarlathotep has to be my favorite god. How about you?

2. WanderingturnupII

WanderingturnupII Grouchy Old Fart

Too bad he only uses one plot....Man finds ACCURSED THING in (basement, attic, archeological dig in Antarctica, etc) He fucks with it. It drives him insane, and/or turns him into a giant fungus.

Lovecraft references turn up everywhere, though, like the Arkham Assylum in Batman. And the Necronomicon has to be the most fameous fictional book never written.

3. Allie_oop

Allie_oop Member

Yea, maybe if he had lived longer he woulda broken that habit. Although Randolph Carter lasted pretty long.

4. TheGrayRaven

TheGrayRaven Member

Have you seen the comic series (also being released in graphic novel form) by Boom! Studios?

They do a modern telling where they mix many of the Mythos that Lovecraft created. Think Cthulhu, Nyarlothotep, the Dreamlands, and the previous two's return to earth bringing on an apocalypse.

I have just started, but it is a different take that is quite interesting, IMO.

5. ShamanistiK

ShamanistiK Member

I have read just about every story he ever had published. He is the only author that can write the way he does. It is the creepiest and most interesting and unique stories I have ever come across. I can't think of a favorite God, just a favorite story maybe, or a few...

Dagon, The Colour out of Space, The thing on the Doorstep, The Mountains of Madness...

Ask me and I'll look up what stories I would recommend...there are a lot of really short ones and some like the mountains of madness that are full book length. Lovecraft is most definitely the ruler of supernatural horror!!!

:devil:

6. Woodstock47

Woodstock47 Guest

I was introduced to Lovecraft by a friend in college and he remains a favorite of mine to this day. (Maybe its because I share a birthday with Edgar Allan Poe that I am attracted to this type of literature).
    I disagree that he only had one theme. Besides the well-known block of work of his referred to as the Cthulhu Mythos, he wrote ,especially in his younger days, stories strongly influenced by Lord Dunsany, like The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath.
    And he wrote some more conventional horror too, such as In The Vault.
    Lovecraft's work can perhaps be more accurately labelled science fiction rather than supernatural horror. In fact, he wrote that he had little interest in the more conventional horror stories, like those involving ghosts,vampires,or werewolves.
    Lovecraft, Robert E. Howard, and Clark Ashton Smith were the trio that produced the greatest body of work for Weird Tales magazine in the 20s and 30s. Unlike so many who appeared in that mag, their work remains in print today.

7. Skooky

Skooky Member

Pagan Publishing published a series of 3 books based on Cthulhu Mythos in the late 90's. they also published a modern Call of Cthulhu sourcebooks for the RPG Delta Green and Delta Green:Countdown... awesome material for the modern era... stories and gaming

• Delta Green Eyes Only Volume 1: Machinations of the Mi-go
    • Delta Green Eyes Only Volume 2: The Fate.
    • Delta Green Eyes Only Volume 3: Project Rainbow
    Might be kind of scarce and find thee days tho.

~peace

8. StoneFeather

StoneFeather Member

Just reread Dagon the other night, the works of H.P. Lovecraft are always a good read from time to time.

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I've read a lot of his short story work but none of his novels.
    I bought his whole collection on my kindle for a couple of bucks on Amazon.

10. ClintonsSon

ClintonsSon Yeah......it's Me!!

Have loved Lovecraft's stuff since I was teenager (Remember reading "The Colour Out Of Space" and it scaring the shit out of me). Some of my favorites are:

"The Call Of Cthulu"
    "Herbert West, Reanimator"
    "At The Mountains of Madness"

11. thatblindguy

thatblindguy Member

I just got into Lovecraft. I read The Thing on the Doorstep and now I'm about to start At the Mountains of Madness.

12. HollowedHermit

HollowedHermit Members

Why hello, im a fan of space squids as well. Call of cthulu is a classic. I liked the colour out of space as well. I found his use of dimensions interesting and i enjoy his ability to weave elaborate scenes into small space. He was truly talented

13. Blair44

Blair44 Members

Lovecraft was my first encounter with cosmic horror. Although now I have discovered multiple authors and illustrators. Even within Lovecraft's circle, there are diverse ways of narrating the unimaginable. The dream cycle is by far my favorite, as I am a very curious person when it comes to exploring the depths of the mind.