Great Artists You Saw Live

Discussion in 'Old Hippies' started by Ethel Murtz, Sep 8, 2015.

1. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I say it speaks to how complex Fareed's compositions are, and his style. Yep, my ex was a Jerry double time dancer. Bouncy, fast.

He was also a really positive person. A very attractive trait.

2. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

Turn on just about any classic rock radio station and I heard most of the bands live, back in their prime years, at the Greensboro Coliseum. The tickets were cheap too.

It's hard to fit John Denver into a standard musical category, but I used to follow him around wherever I could get to a show. More recently, I've done that with Grace Potter and Sara Bareilles.

Classical music, I've taken advantage of a lot of highly subsidized regional performances, many of them connected in some way with the NC School of the Arts. I still do that.

Opportunities have been more limited in jazz. Probably my rarest privilege was seeing Maynard Ferguson the last year he toured extensively with his big band. I've seen Trombone Shorty twice, who will soon reach legend status in jazz trombone.

Blues: Susan Tedeschi on her last national solo tour before combining with the Derek Trucks Band.

Probably the worst way for a new member to get adjusted and fit in is to start fucking with the moderators. I've never seen that go well for anybody.

3. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

I took bass lessons for a couple of months from Kai Eckhardt. To this day when I see him around like at the local guitar shop he still remembers my name.

I've seen String Cheese, Umphrees McGee (with Phil Lesh sitting in), Phil and Friends, Blues Traveler, The Black Crowes, Phish, Govt Mule (The first time with Oteil Burbridge, and Chuck Levell the second time the surviving members of the Dead sat in), The Allman Brothers Band when Allen Woody was still alive, Spearhead, Keller Williams, The Dave Matthews Band, Meshell N'Dege O'cello.

I'm pretty sure I've forgotten a few.

C/S,
    Rev J

4. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

My hubby played drums in a band with connections to Derek Trucks.

His cousin, Valor Trucks, Butch Trucks (Allman Brothers) son, would sit with me and teach me some things to improve my work on soundboard, and Valor's wife played traps and sang in the band with hubby.

At first it made hubby nervous to play in front of Valor, but he was such a really cool guy. He loved the way hubby played.

I don't play, so I ran sound and wrote lyrics.

5. Aerianne

I forgot to show Karen J.

This is Valor when he was a little guy.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Terrapin2190

Terrapin2190 I am nature.

Thanks for the heads up on that! HindiJazz, so I was close with Indian. Seems like he jumped around a lot since Garaj Mahal, after and during. MathGames seems really well put together (my opinion after watching one video haha). And their bassist! Man, I've seen him shred it quite a few times. I love watching band mates' expressions and watching them communicate on stage. Always looked like he was having a fun time.

For anyone that's interested, here's a taste test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNYOcnQ8500

7. Reverand JC

I forgot to mention that I saw King Crimson twice. I also saw a group called "Bruford and Levins Upper Extremities" which was Bill Bruford and Tony Levin (King Crimson, Peter Gabriel, John Lennon etc,) with Chris Botti and David Torn. Before the show they did an autograph signing. I mentioned that someone played me Discipline by King Crimson when I was in high school and it totally changed my life as a musician. Bruford replied "I hope that's a good thing."

C/S,
    Rev J

8. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

but the question that is really on everyone's mind is,
    How is Fred doing and what crazy antics have you and Lucy been up to?

1 person likes this.
  9. little_doe

little_doe Members

I'm a little bit envious of your experiences, man. Seeing as how I'm young and into classic and psychedelic rock, I missed out on that time! Not to say that there's not any good music going around now, but boy... would I have loved to have seen Jim Morrison or Jerry jamming on stage. I do attend a good amount of small festivals every once and a while and I have to say that I've seen some kickass musicians play some face melting sets. Saw String Cheese for the first time recently, seeing them again in October! If you're into string bands, Rumpke Mountain Boys or Yonder Mountain String Band are both phenomenal. Saw them both not too long ago as well and I loved it! Papadosio is pretty funky band as well. Super jammy with lots of synth. They blew me away at the Werk Out Festival. Seen a few badass Zeppelin cover bands too! Even though I missed out on a lot of bands and musicians from the 60'and 70's, I still try and see music that will make me feel like I could of lived through those times :)

10. Aerianne

We're so fortunate to have the recording, listening, and viewing technology that we have!

I wasn't old enough to go to the Atlanta Pop Festival when my brother did; nor, was I old enough to hitchhike to Woodstock with him.

I grew up listening to his music and I loved going through his crates of albums.

I saw some great concerts in the 70's and missed some great ones too. My parents weren't willing to let me go to concerts. Having the 3 older brothers made them too wise, lol. I didn't go to many until I was old enough to do it with my own money and in my own car.

I'm not going to try to list who I did see. I think I may have already done that in another thread we had with the same content.

....but, yeah, I think we're extremely fortunate to have the technology to get some idea of what going to a show is like.

11. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

4 people like this.
  12. drumminmama

I tried to teach Allen to hula hoop. His daughter, who wandered into the venue, thought it was hilarious. His wife, well, I though she was going to choke, laughing.

Kai is amazing with names and faces. He remembers people I never do...and I'd fed and sometimes housed these guys. I'm always humbled in his presence.

terrapin, Fareed isn't jumping around, his touring has to work around his day job. Plus his greatest talent might be in connecting great players together. The Fareed Haque Group was basically his special students for a while. And man, does he get some gems!

13. Reverand JC

Even before I took lessons from him I was standing behind him in line at The Starving Musician in Berkeley. At our first lesson he remembered me from that experience. He even gave me rides from his studio in Oakland to BART so I wouldn't have to walk through that neighborhood.

Him and Fareed's musical pedegrees are impressive too (Fareed played with Joe Zawinul, and Kai played with John McLaughlin). Jazz/Fusion and Jam type musics are my favorites to play. I also got to see Kai play with Michael McClure at Yoshi's in Oakland.

C/S,
    Rev J

14. drumminmama

And they are so humble about their experiences. In a way, it is just a job. But there's fire in their souls when they talk about music.

15. carlo dee

carlo dee Members

We were at the Bisbee Blues festival over the weekend and saw Selwyn Birchwood. He and his band were terrific.