Globalization HAS to Happen

Discussion in 'Globalization' started by ninjarilla, Feb 2, 2009.

1. ninjarilla

ninjarilla Member

It is our first step towards peace and love.

2. moonstomper

moonstomper Member

yea so the whole world can be controled by one government sounds like a sure bet. or better yet the destruction of regional culture is even better!

3. ninjarilla

ninjarilla Member

It is not about uniting the world under one government, it is about working together to achieve a brighter future for everyone. Cultures can be maintained, and the understanding of other cultures is something that people have to gain from this.

How can there be war when we are interdependent?

4. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

No, that is simply what YOU think.

5. Ocean Bionic

Ocean Bionic Hero of the People

and were not interdependent now? some type of pan-globalization between the hemispheres will probably happen. but even if we have total unification, there will always be war in one way or another. It's just human (stupid) nature.

6. Pressed_Rat

It's not human nature for people to kill their fellow man.

7. Ocean Bionic

Ocean Bionic Hero of the People

obviously you havent been to the eastside hombre.

hitler, ahem.

where there is stupid, there is war.

8. Funkateer

Funkateer To swing on the spiral

Oh Shit Its Bill Clinton!

9. Pressed_Rat

When people are dehumanized they do inhuman things. The process of dehumanization comes from exposure to something that goes against human nature... something unnatural. Some people are also psychopaths. Hitler was not a normal person.

10. RiverStone

RiverStone Ancient

Right, globalization creates peace. Because car companies polluting the air and every other mega corporation draining the earths energy is for the better good. Alright. I understand perfectly. Makes sense.

11. ninjarilla

ninjarilla Member

*sigh* You guys just don't get it. You all have one idea of how globalization HAS to happen, and it involves multinational corporations controlling the world. OPEN YOUR MIND and try to see the way the world can be changed for the better.

Please. If you disagree with me make a point. Don't point fingers telling me I'm wrong and expect me to respect you in any way.

Yes to some extent we are interdependent. But that can be taken to so many more levels. If anyone is interested further in this topic PLEASE read The World Is Flat by Thomas Friedman. (The link to Wikipedia gives you a general idea of what the book covers.) It will shift your perspective dramatically. Globalization is NOT about totalitarianism. The most likely way for it to happen is that it will bring everyone on a level playing field. What sort of hippie can argue with equal opportunity for EVERYONE. Of course not everyone is going to be perfectly equal, but this will be our first step in the right direction.

Two Examples of how globalization can save the world (oh yes I have many more up my sleeve).
    If any of you have read Three Cups of Tea, this man Greg Mortinsen has done great work towards peace in the Middle East by bringing AMERICAN education there, helping to undermine the Islam extremist madrassas that breed children into terrorism.

Outsourcing operations in countries like China have brought a much better standard of living there. The wages provided to workers there, while not yet respectable enough, are still MUCH better than they used to be.

Yes but the more interdependent we are, the less war there will be.

Maybe he was on to something? Presidents can sometimes be respectable people. Yea yea Monica Lewinsky... Well that really doesn't amount to a bag of schwag. (If you want to debate this please start another thread, I don't want to digress from my main point here).

What? Guys and gals this is not just about what's happening at the corporate level! Yes that has to be considered too, but as I have argued, I disagree with you how that is going to happen anyway.
    That being said it is about the PEOPLE working together. Technology has come to a point where it can't be controlled. The internet, cell phones, open source software, blogging... freedom of speech, freedom of expression is locked in permanently now. WE can no longer be controlled. That's why globalization will work.

Sorry for the long post, but I only want to debate with people who care enough to read long posts ;).

12. mai

mai Member

13. zenloki

zenloki Member

globalization as it stands has up to this point been about making as much money as possible. it's done using the US gov't, CIA, major banks and corporations and i don't see much peace and love of mankind coming out of those organizations. thomas friedman is just stepping into his daddy's shoes now and trying to sell this line to the people. his dad, milton is the one that recommended economic policy that has put latin america in debt and under the thumb of the banks and corporations and brought most to the edge of ruin. the people there suffered greatly under dictators following friedman's advice including hunger, homelessness, jail for prostestors and sometimes torture and death. this is how globalization began. maybe you're right and it will turn out to be a good thing in the end but i have my doubts that something good can come out of such a heinous beginning or that the players involved are even intersted in that outcome.

14. Leojay 44

Leojay 44 Member

If power corrupts, and the leaders who only control America are as corrupt as they are, think about the corruption that would occur in the minds of those who would control the ENTIRE WORLD!

Too much power for one system to have.

15. ninjarilla

ninjarilla Member

Ideally power would not be concentrated in one area.

16. wally m

wally m 14

The problem is I'm (and I'm will to bet You) not willing to give up how spoiled I am. Until the wealthy is willing to give up it's riches we need to poor to take advantage of.

17. stonemaster

stonemaster Member

Globalization is a direct result of GREED period and to say its good is completely crazy

18. rainbowedskylover

rainbowedskylover Senior Member

ninjarilla, I totally agree with you...

really, there is no big takeover of the corporations going on...
    the spread of corporations is just a part of the globalisation process, no one is in control.

do you think the spread of the internet is a bad thing? do you think its not part of globalisation.
    do you think current widespread migration isn't part of globalisation? mexicans crossing the border, fortress europe.
    do you think the global anti-globalisation movement isn't part of globalisation?

did you know that in nigeria a thriving film industry has risen, based upon INDIAN bollywood cinema? what does that say globalisation isn't just western capitalism incorporating other cultures, its exchange of other cultures.

do you think that everywhere in the world where a McDonalds opens the community changes into fat ugly ignorant americans? well no, Mc Donalds is very expensive to some cultures or does not play a very large role in the live of people there.

do you think Wall Street has a clue what it is talking about when they say 'globalisation'? they have no clue, its part of their sales talk and they just try to invest in markets that are big enough (unfortunately thats probably a pretty important factor in all the inequality).

globalisation started off after the fall of the the communist regime and its most important feature is that distance and time matter less in the lives off those affected by the process, cultural barriers break open , there is cultural exchange of all kinds and its a process that has been very important since the fall of the wall. in fact current islam fundamentalism and so the wto attacks can be linked to it as a middle eastern answer to the process of corporate globalisation overthere.

one more good scholar on the topic would be john gray, political philosopher at the London School of Economics

earlier phases of globalisation have been halted by economic crises back than ( e.g. the Great Depression), so i'm kind of curious what will happen now.

BTW i'm not saying we shouldn't be critical towards the process of globalisation, or even towards capitalism, but to put it away as a conspiracy of the big corporations won't get us anywhere.

19. Cryptoman

Cryptoman Member

World bank - IMF and the advancement of South America. One small step toward globalization?

20. zenloki

zenloki Member

Globalization wasn't an advancement for South America. It was an utter failure. The people have protested and won back many of the freedoms and rights taken away during the attempt. The economies have come back not due to corporate interests but the work of the people as usual.