Fox News Vs. the rest of Leftist Media

Discussion in 'The Media' started by trekker, Sep 23, 2008.

1. mai

mai Member

I don't like American news
    I usually read The Guardian and The Economist - both have excellent online coverage of world news. The first considered rather 'leftist' while the later considered 'conservative'

While there is very little good American news coverage,there is good analysis which 'foreign affairs' offers. If I must read something American I'll go for the New York Times

2. caliente

caliente Senior Member

If the American news media have a bias, it's toward themselves. They'll go for anything if they think they can get something sensational or controversial out of it. I don't think it has anything to do with liberal or conservative.

It's sort of like the old Hollywood starlet mentality ... any publicity is good publicity.

3. killuminati

killuminati Member

I could have told you all American Media is heavily biased without any Math, all you have to do is ask.

4. HawaiianEye

HawaiianEye Member

There should be no such thing as a left or right media.Good journalism and media is 'supposed' to keep things honest and not take sides.Fox,CNN all of the US mainstream media are worthless.The once quite good networks ABC,CBS etc. are now just as bad.---I do not watch that garbage period.-I find the BBC a little better but they are far from perfect,So if I watch the news its BBC .Plus the BBC has no commercials,so I don't need to see Big Pharma and other lowlifes advertising every 5 minutes.

5. caliente

caliente Senior Member

Good journalism and media is 'supposed' to keep things honest and not take sides

They don't "take sides". They could care less about what "side" is involved. What they care about is ratings. If a story has something sensational or controversial about it, or if they can generate something controversial about it, and they think it will get ratings, they go with it. They've pretty much been forced into this position, because the competition is so fierce for the news consumer's attention span.

I think this is all partly due to their perception of what they see as "human nature" and what they think people want to see, and partly due to the legacy of Woodward and Bernstein. Every journalist wants to be the one to dig up the next Watergate.

I'm talking about the "regular" news organizations here, not the "commentators" who are blatantly on one side or the other. You know the ones I mean. But of course, their goal is ratings too, and the easiest way to get ratings is by being more outrageous than the next guy. The more they can stir up the pot and create more brouhaha, the more people will listen to them.

I think it's funny that people think the way to get "balanced" coverage is to counter a left-wing whacko with a right-wing whacko. But all that gets you is two whackos. The way to balance things is to get somebody from the middle.

6. HawaiianEye

HawaiianEye Member

Very true it's about ratings.And that is a big part of the problem.The network news shows on CBS,ABC,NBC 'used' to be whats called "loss leaders" in other words the tv stations did not make money on the news shows,so they 'used to' provide much more balanced and competent coverage.They also 'had' very good news anchors.That situation is NO longer the case.I personally can't understand why any reasonably intelligent person would even watch the news nowadays because it really is NOT news,but just junk infotainment ,placed --in between prescription drug commercials--.

7. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

They control and administer both sides, so really it makes no difference as long as you realize this simple fact. ALL media is designed to confuse and mislead. FOX is probably more along the lines of blatant propaganda (especially at the height of the Bush presidency), which in some ways might not be as bad as the stuff that pretends to be "fair and balanced." At least with FOX you know what you're getting. Some of the other networks are much better at disguising their propaganda. However, what is scary is that so many people are so easily lead by this propaganda, as obvious as it is.

8. caliente

caliente Senior Member

ALL media is designed to confuse and mislead.
    Some of the other networks are much better at disguising their propaganda

Oh, come on, folks. They're not "designed" for anything of the sort. What they're "designed" for is ratings. They could care less about the material they actually disseminate, as long as people watch it so they're able to charge for advertising.

It's not "propaganda". It's packaged attention grabbing. If they can get your attention with something, that's what they go with. The actual content of the story means nothing to them ... the only thing they care about is getting you to watch.

9. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

Most broadcast news is propaganda not by what they report as news, but mostly by what they don't report. As they say, follow the money!

NBC, CBS, FOX, all these networks have corporate sponsors. Programming is necessarily going to be aimed at nurturing attitudes (or outright manufacturing attitudes) beneficial to the corporate elite.

Also, TV shows like "24" and "Jericho" are pretty obvious to me just more shit to keep people scared and demoralized and not focusing on real issues.

"24"= OMG terrorists are everywhere! We must torture someone to save ourselves!

"Jericho"= We can survive a bit of Nukin'...sure we can!

ZW :cool:

10. caliente

caliente Senior Member

How's the weather up there, Zombie? Any sign of spring yet?

11. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

Yeah, we're on the thaw. Woke up this morning to big wet snow flakes...a sloppy mess.
    Fuckin' snow plow woke me up. Gotta chop wood, build a fire...
    'Bout now I'm pretty jealous of you so' westerners!
    Hot yet Caliente?
    Caliente yet hot?

ZW

12. sash

sash Member

I don't watch much news on TV, but when I really want to laugh I tune into FOX and listen to all their bullshit!!They are just amazing..We are always on the verge of a new invasion or a nuclear attack!! If you want better news check PBS, they are pretty dry but at least you get the facts..
    [​IMG]

13. Fyrenza

Fyrenza Queen of the Ians

So...

anyone got anything to say about all of this,

NOW?

{<~ raises hand}

YIKES! All of the biased stories that FOX did ended up, not being biased,

but just being the News ~

telling us about actual happenings in the past,

and what those happenings could mean to us, as a nation.

Granted, from a worst-case scenario,

but things that could happen.

And now that we're seeing them happening?

Also, seeing places like World Net Daily

(that scum of the earth, "citations from which will be met with sarcasm and arrogance," website of maniacal liars :eek: )

citing API, AFP, etc. ~

the MSM have finally been shamed into actually investigating some of the stories.

Sheesh.

14. AK Bones

AK Bones Member

My question is why would anyone who actually watches Fox news and believes that they are not biased even be hanging out at a place called HIP FORUM?

15. 7he4uthor

7he4uthor Member

16. OptimisticFutureBlues

OptimisticFutureBlues Member

Bill O' Reilly should be replaced with this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf1D0A4JZNU"]YouTube - CNN Jack Cafferty - Hurricane Katrina Outrage

Look at him win. Epic. Journalism. Win.

Cafferty is my hero. He has this 60's - 70's style of dialect and voice, I respect that.

17. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

I think FoxNews hurts the conservatives more than the liberal-biased media does.

18. OptimisticFutureBlues

OptimisticFutureBlues Member

This may be true, but they have the most ratings in cable news. Most lower class Americans cannot afford dish or satellite, so that means that Fox is the MOST popular with the poorest of the people.

That is what scares me. I would feel a little less threatened if Cafferty replaced O' Reilly

19. 7point65

7point65 Banned

99% of my news comes off the web if I bother to watch/read it. Most of the time I don't.

After all is said and done I don't know what to trust of the liberal medias 'news' so why bother.

20. tanasi

tanasi Member

Be it fox news or cnn, conservative or liberal it is all one big game to keep people on opposing sides. Ya can't defeat people when they are united in thought, so the goverment, through the media, keeps the two sides barking what they have heard from their favorite echo chamber.