famous artists in mainstream media

Discussion in 'The Media' started by abstractpeace, Apr 10, 2011.

1. abstractpeace

abstractpeace Member

i think i figured it out... the kids that become famous artists such as kurt cobain, eminem, lady gaga, etc... were all kids in highschool that were unique and were like loners ussually kinda weird but we by no means ugly and they just sorta dont fit in what do you think?

2. Death

Death Grim Reaper Lifetime Supporter

michael stipe

3. Lodog

Lodog ¿

I never became a famous artist. You're idea is already plagued with discrepencies.

4. stonk

stonk Member

I think its debateable whether someone is an artist but less debateable as to whether they are famous. Take Madonna for instance, most talentless sack of cats crap ever and yet managed to become famous. Its not quite the same with people like eminem and kurt cobain I think they became famous because of their words and their view on life within those words, but like i say thats a contentious issue. I think those people would have written songs whether they had an audience of 5 or 50,000 I dont think they were much bothered whether they became world famous whereas with people like lady gaga i think the fame means more than the art to them. They are basically fashion models touted for their fashion sense rather than anything they have to say.
    John Lennon is perhaps the most famous singer of the last 100 years but thats to do with his belief rather than what he wore or which journalists he toadied up to.

5. boguskyle

boguskyle kyleboguesque

none of them were really freaks though.

6. abstractpeace

abstractpeace Member

i mean it in a way like... people with different veiws on life end up as artists and ussually they are interesting and different than other people and thats how they become accepted as famous its because they make being different okay and cool

7. stonk

stonk Member

I dont know about that, I mean I have met some artists, mainly architects and musicians and people who paint pictures but I wouldnt say they were much different to anyonelse except that they learnt how to make people interested in what they were trying to achieve because they made their art interesting, It doesnt seem to me that fame is necessarily anything to do with how much an artist earns nor whether their work is any good. Fame is just a popularity contest and some win the competition and others dont. I have met people who create artistic works that earn the same or more than lady gaga, for example and yet perhaps 5% of the world has heard of them whereas perhaps 60% or 70% of the world may know who lady gaga is. Its not like people hang about with artists listening to their every word incase at dinner they say something so profound and earth shattering, they talk as much shit as everyonelse.
    With art two people can say exactly the same thing but the one who is paid for their work is the one who took time to say it interestingly, and also consistency is also a very valuable part of art. For example i struggled hard to try and become a musician that had original ideas that were also well created and failed. I tried to produce things that were interesting and innovative and people listened and yet i realised that of the hundreds of things i composed i was failing to amuse myself with what i did except on a few occassions. A consistent artist will produce a higher rate of success, for every two songs they reject and fail they have one which is worth listening to. with me for example I had to reject 20 to get one that i liked so time became too important, people spend a lot of money on studios they dont want it blocked up by someone who is failing to produce stuff thats mediocre as thats a waste of everyones time and money and what if you cant produce the work, people invest heavily, gamble if you like on the success of an artist, they have to be sure the artist is worth it and can deliver the goods in a consistent way, in a way that is efficient in other words, people wont wait five years for someone to produce an albums worth of songs that cost 200,000 dollars of studio time when they can get an artist just as good that takes a year to produce the work and 50,000 dollars of studio time. In the real world art is a business the same as any other

8. ronny25

ronny25 Member

I never became a famous artist. You're idea is already plagued with discrepencies.

9. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

Christina Aguilera was a popular girl. My cousin went to school with her.

And only a jackass would consider Lady Gaga an artist.

10. A flowerchild's journey

A flowerchild's journey Member

well i think it all depends on what you believe is art .. every person is different and in that sense its just like the saying one persons trash is another persons treasure or what have you , so in that way , i think that any artist if they consider themselves to be one should keep doing what there doing because what one person hates another person may love .