Elu.

Discussion in 'Writers Forum' started by Jimbee68, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

I actually shared this story on a number of Forums. Maybe even this one, I honestly don't recall.

Some time ago, I saw this license plate in Michigan where I live. Elu. What could Elu mean, I wondere? Then I came up with the following story.

It is the not too distant future. And virtual reality is all the rage. That is where we find Elu. Elu is a virtual romantic partner. And he/she/it is all you can possibly imagine. He is ideal. And some people want him/her to be real.

The first man in the story, an obvious madman, goes to the place where Elu is created, and dies as an result. The next man does not fare too much better. But finally, someone tries to clone Elu, in a sophisticated attempt to make him real. Is he successful? The story ends on that note.

I already shared this story on the Stephen King message board. But apparently he was not interested. Hey, if anyone else is, please tell me. I would love to collaborate on this story.

:)

2. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

How would you prefer Elu be pronounced ? Then the name itself can be given a meaning .
    This may important to a reader in the far-distant future .

3. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

I always pronounced it "EE-loo". Also what could Elu stand for? I always thought " electronic love union ". But what else could it stand for? I think this would make an excellent novel.

4. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Maybe not a novel but a folktale . Your story design implies that .

In the universal language I work with elu may have two pronunciations could have two different yet related meanings .
    ee-luh would mean 'the communication of a good person" - as like the virtual reality is only information . eh-luh would
    be a good person who is physical . This created person in your fable is an Ideal made real .

As for advancing the story : the bio-engineers zygote would be gestated by a woman . Let the baby be born blind . This
    creature's beauty shall never be self-observed . Would this be enough to suggest a moral to the story ?