Dogs Are Cool

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by natural philosophy, Dec 3, 2015.

1. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

Different show, same dog expert guy. The shows I saw was hosted by him and was two parts.

i guess it's time for Buddy's nightly walk as he is slowly forcing himself between me and the desk and pushing my chair back.......LOL

2. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

OK, we just got back from our walk.
    I'm so proud of my pooch!
    We walk out the door and get one house down the street and there are some folks walking a couple of little "rat" dogs on the other side of the street.
    Buddy looks and takes notice but just keeps on walking. Then one of the little suckers starts barking and growling and comes running across the street towards us. so I call Buddy to me and grab his harness and the people call the dog back, so we keep walking. Then the little bugger charges at us again!!! so I call Buddy back to his "safe" position which is standing in between my legs, and he immediately obeyed and then as they are calling the little mut back I yelled over "that's why there are leash laws, I wouldn't be responsible!", then all it took was pointing down the street and telling Buddy "Go" and he acted as if it never happened.
    A year ago he would have dragged me across the street and would have tried to get that dog at all costs.
    He has come such a long way since we first got him.
    What was that little dog thinking, charging a dog at least 10 times his weight. Hell if that dog got within Buddy's range, he would have a life expectancy of about 15 seconds.

Irmi, I do the same thing, Buddy has to wait to go out of the house until I say and he is not allowed to leave first, if he does he has to come back in and do it over. He also won't leave the backyard unless I tell him it's ok.
    He now stops every time we come to a street crossing and waits for me to say it's ok to cross and a lot more, totally different temperament than a year ago.
    One thing I taught him is when we are at the park and he takes a dump and I clean it up I then tell him "trash can" and he goes to the nearest trash can.
    May not sound like much, but when you got 90lbs of dog muscle pulling you around, it helps.

1 person likes this.
  3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Lol yeah, I hate being dragged about it hurts my joints so he just takes enough pull where he knows I won't correct him but the moment he's pulling its a quick whack with the choke chain. :) then he's good for another 5 minutes until he tests me again. Once you relax on that though then they second guess your authority lol. So every time I have to correct him when he's pulling me, by about half way walk he's over being strangled. I think our next step is the pinch collar which I want to try because he's so awkward with a bicycle. He's always in a playful mood but he wants to chase. A pinch collar will stop that very quickly.

Oh and people with leashes. OMG. They look at me with a if scary vicious German Shepherd and I'm the only responsible person while these little shits run around and stir him up. Drives me insane I just wanna let go of the lead sometimes. Let him chase them. I'm the first set of eyes. I like to know what's coming before he notices which he doesn't because his nose is a magnet to the ground and I see people take adjacent routes to get away from us. =\ yeesh, they're fine when bought up responsibly.

4. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

[​IMG]
    Yes, I try and always be alert and responsible when I take him out because I know what he can do.
    That is why I'm so proud of him and that he obeys my commands so readily now.
    I use a harness because he knows how to get out of choke or slip type collars, when your neck is as thick as your head, it's not that hard. He did it to me three times before I noticed it wasn't a fluke.
    What he does is he lunges straight forward to force the chain tight and it tends to bring the "slip" portion to the top back of his neck, then he lowers his head and walks straight backwards. That causes the chain to suddenly have slack and it just slips loose and he pulls his head out and goes attacks whatever it was he wanted.

One reason he has been so easy to train is his breed are known to be ultra-hyper loyal and attach to one person. As a result he is very receptive to positive reinforcement from me and really, really takes it hard when I'm angry at him.

It is funny though because all I have to do is give him a look or point at something and he will go and put himself on a time-out.
    Just last night he dug a small hole in the yard, something he hasn't done since the first two weeks we had him. All I had to do was point at the hole and say "what is this" and he tucked his tail between his legs and went to his "time-out" spot.....LOL and I didn't even sound angry, he just knows that digging holes is against the rules.

like I said, smart as a 5 year old kid.... :dizzy2:

5. La Ya Ya

La Ya Ya Fueled by Espresso Lifetime Supporter

I bit like you then!

6. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Thats why I like cats ;)

7. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Thats a kindergarten burn

Mmmm mmm mmu your stinky and dirty

;)

8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Another thing I love about my dog is, well he's also there for my entertainment so I never give the poor guy a break. If he's trying to sleep inside I'll poke him, step on his paws lightly, flick his ear, tickle is back feet and he gets so frustrated with it, and you can see it in his eyes. And then, then I like give him this cunningly wicked grin I have and he knows, he understands that's a sign of happiness and playfulness so he'll come and lick me. But I never let him rest, he's there for my enjoyment. :D like yesterday I was doing my exercises and that means he wants to come and be on the floor and play with me, but I said no no you go sit on the lounge. So huffs and puffs he sits on lounge. Then I start flicking his feet and tickling his paws and he's like "narrghhhh, hmfffff" and even rolls his eyes at me. Then he flips over on his side, but I wave my hands and arms around so he can't sleep, he just HAS to focus on me. :D

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

And another funny thing to do is I'll kick his back legs and miss will kick his front legs and he gets sooo frustrated which foot to attack. So he starts trying to second guess which foot will come next but we can see right through him. So then I'll kick him twice and then it's all frustrating noises until he finally decided enough is enough and gets up and starts biting our feet which only gets him in trouble really. So he's told oi! No! Down!! And then we give it to him again. :D

10. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

not sure if that's playing or abuse.....LOL

I let Buddy pretty much do as he pleases around here because it's his home as well as mine.

Being a rescue dog with questionable treatment in the past and definite signs of prior abuse, I have always tried to provide as relaxing an environment as possible for him and treat him with the dignity and respect he deserves..

2 people like this.
  11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Yeah our boy gets to do whatever just he knows there's different rules for inside hehe. And no balls inside.

And it sounds abussive I know but it's all in good fun we aren't hurting him just lightly tapping his foot with ours is our extent of kicking. =p

I think rescue dogs are good idea but my daddy always threw me off from it by saying the bad thing is you aren't the first owner and so it difficult to train or untrain the habits. It's just unfair they have to be rescued in the first place. =[ I don't like watching the animal shelter shows it's always so sad especially the state of horses! Ugh! I get so mad and upset.

12. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

I don't think you abuse your pooch Irmi.
    My experience with Buddy has been that he has been easy to train and really does act like he appreciates his life with us now.

It's moments like this that make cleaning the crap up worth it;

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  13. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Ahh huh! Now I get to put a face to your name. :)

14. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

who, me or the dog?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Both. ;) mustache reminds me of my father. :d

16. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

1 person likes this.
  17. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

1 person likes this.
  18. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I never put my dog on the leash. When I walked him in the forest near his house (he lives with my parents) he sometimes growls at another dog and I know if they decide to attack eachother 'mine' will not listen to me :p Last time he jumped on another it was a growling labrador and it seems like he bit him on the back. No blood though and over in 2 seconds. Unfortunately I am just as proud on him as when he would listen to me :D

19. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHSHeMjY9J8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxJf2L2B5fY

20. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

My dog is also guilty of this. Well, one of them is.. the other dog doesn't like to be outside as much.