Does Anyone Play Multiple Instruments?

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by Motion, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Motion

Motion Senior Member

To those who can play several instruments well what was your approach to practicing each instrument?

Do some instruments easily overlap into other instrument? Like does knowing how to play the guitar make it easier to learn the bass guitar?

2. porkstock41

porkstock41 Every time across from me...not there!

i am not much of a musician, but i can play a little bit on the drums and other percussion. i guess all of those overlap somewhat, because they mostly involve rhythm, not pitch so much - until you get into the tom toms, or playing the xylophone.

i would imagine that playing the guitar would be more applicable to playing bass than it would be to playing the sax or trombone. but i've actually heard that bass guitar and drums might be more readily compared? can't comment on that personally.

...i also play the skin-flute. does that count?

1 person likes this.
  3. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

yeah i can play guitar and bass and drums on guitar hero. i can even play keyboard on rockband 3.

4. Scratched

Scratched Members

never tried the skin flute, but I'm pretty into playing the hummonica. :gorgeous:?

I plan on trying bass soon, seems if one can play rhythm guitar that bass would be a breeze.

Can play drums but never messed with the hi-hat cymbal on them.

5. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Started Off Playing The Piano......Then Graduated To The Pipe Organ.............

And Before I Get Any Smart Assed Responses, It Was Indeed A Very Big Church Pipe Organ...... :) .

Stop Sniggering......[​IMG]

Cheers Glen.

6. Echo Catharsis

Echo Catharsis Members

I sing (the voice is an instrument), play piano, a bit of acoustic guitar, the recorder and other whistle like instruments, I'm a bit sluggish on a drum kit but have the rhythm for hand percussion like bongos or a Hapi drum. Any instrument can give a helping hand to vocal practice, thus coordinating the ability to sing and play your own instrument without anyone else backing you up. Think Phil Collins, he's a drummer with a great voice! My hands are a bit stubby for guitar so I much prefer the piano or experimenting with things like the autoharp and the zither. I taught myself how to play the recorder, which benefited when I tried a tin whistle in terms of enjoying the different sound while applying the same fingering and positioning techniques. Can't go wrong with a good, salty skin flute either!

1 person likes this.
  7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I can play any air related instruments. :)

Air guitar
    Air drums
    Air vocals
    Air mixing boards
    Air double bass
    Air fiddle
    Air banjo
    Air triangle.

I am limitless in this regard and I rock out everyday. :punk:

8. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

This is the single best video I've seen regarding bass:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX6sX3AF1ks

I'll admit that the guy comes across as a totally aggro Penn Gillette but I suspect that comes from working with so many bad bassists. Personally I'm a died in the wool electric bassist because I'd rather play one instrument well than multiple half assed.

C/S,
    Rev J

The NY Haus and Scratched like this.
  9. Scratched

Scratched Members

^^^Excellent vid and food for thought.

Thanks Rev J

10. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

You're welcome.

C/S,
    Rev J

11. Crystal_Nocked

Crystal_Nocked Members

Hey all!

FNG here. How ya doin'?

I play drums, percussion, bass guitar, and alto sax. Been playing the first two for many years, and have been in a few bands playing those instruments as well. The sax is a relatively recent undertaking, as I've only been playing, off and on, for a couple years now, In fact, I just decided to take some lessons, and begin next week.

12. erizoe

erizoe Member

Wow this is a good thread.

bass guitar
    guitar
    percussion
    piano/keyboard
    subtractive synthesizer (I can do additive synth if there are presets but I don't know how to create my own good/consistent sounding instruments, haven't done any research on how it works)

Jazz 40s and beyond is my main genre but i'm proficient in blues, classic rock, jam band music, rhumba and other percussion-centric latin like afrocarribbean or afro brazillian, samba, salsa, merengue, , , EDM, Classic Rock, RnB, funk, musical theater, modern dance music (like for dancers in college dance classes) and many others..

EDIT: Every musician who's serious should have SOME experience on drums or percussion, My timing sucked before i got into afro carribean percussion, once you feel those subdivisions there's no going back and people who haven't invested the minimal time and effort to get a good feel will piss you off

volunteer_tommy likes this.
  13. Gillc46

Gillc46 Members

I used to play classical piano ( taught myself in year and half) up to I think grade 8, am 71 been separated from Piano on and off for years so forgotten nearly everything.
    Played folk guitar and sang all the Joan Baez stuff Dylan etc. And classical guitar and some Spanish, isnt worth a toss now as am right out of the habit. Am learning electric guitar would just love to learn to play those riffs. Am trying Van Halen, Dire straights, Derick and the Dominoes. Santana, Police. ok I am a total beginner but it is really satisfying to play those even if they are a wee bit slow. I will get there--- one day!!!

14. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

I play piano, guitar, bass, drums

there is a massive overlap

by learning the theory of music originally on guitar (key, scales, chords etc.) all of this is easily applied to piano and bass
    however, the it doesn't mean you can play the intrument well

I was fully trained in music when i went to start with piano and whilst moving from a c maj to d min might have been easy on guitar for example
    on piano, clearly your hands have to hit different things, and chords are alien when presented as so.

so yes there's an overlap. but practice, practice, practice

15. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I am proficient on skyhooks, skirting board ladders and stripey paint

16. Grasschild

Grasschild Members

Guitar, bass, drums, vocals here.

17. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

I've been playing around with the ocarina for about 7 years now, and the guitar for about 10. I was never serious about getting good at it, just for fun and to pass the time.

However, I'm really getting into guitar atm. I practiced the intro to Seven Nation Army(White Stripes) for about 2 hours today on both my electric and acoustic. Looking to learn some Rolling Stones tomorrow. :p

I know several songs on the ocarina by heart. Looking to get into harmonica in the future.

Need a good acoustic guitar badly.

I really enjoy hearing, playing, and creating music and have about 10 other instruments on my list to play/try out.

18. intechnicolor

intechnicolor Member

I first started taking piano lessons 19 years ago, for a span of about 8 years. I then picked up the guitar a little over 13 years ago, took a couple years of lessons, but started, and have remained, mostly self taught. When I entered college, I was a music major, and my primary instrument at the time was voice.

Aside from piano, guitar, and voice, I am fairly versed in using the Native Instruments Maschine with a MIDI controller. Not exactly an instrument, but you know what I mean.

19. AlongTheWatchtower

AlongTheWatchtower Banned

I wish so much that I learned how to play SOMETHING when I was younger. I love hearing people play in their element. Ahhhh instant feel goodsss. I'm jealous I never picked up on something instrumental

20. Banned Drama Queen

Banned Drama Queen Idiot

As long as you're still breathing there is time to learn... if you want to give an instrument a shot go for it...

...what are you interested in playing?

1 person likes this.