Do you think the Bible is alive and exerts power?

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by thefutureawaits, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

You have to give us a new language.
    Bastian. Please. Help us!

2. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

What about Unwinese

3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I often speak in languages no one else can understand, complete incoherent nonsense when I sleep talk.

4. Rots in hell

5. Rots in hell

6. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The Bible needs a few updates to hold interest for modern people.

7. magickman

magickman Supporters HipForums Supporter

It's already been updated, made into different versions for easier understanding, some new versions read quite different from King James Version.
    Basically people just need to embrace the basics of it more. The Golden Rule would be a nice primer.
    It can all be put quite simply. Do the right thing. Treat others like you want to be treated. Don't shit in people's pool...(okay, maybe I changed it a bit, the you get the idea. Lol)
    The truth isn't that hard to grasp, but in modern times with all that's changed in our culture, it's tough for many folks to swallow.
    That's the problem. Maybe the saying "Karma's a bitch" works better these days. As Ozzy sang "don't ask me, I don't know". First song on his first solo record.

Asmodean likes this.
  8. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Young people don't want to read any boring old history. Those tales have very little point of reference in today's world.

The tales are old and dusty.

Irminsul likes this.
  9. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

The Bible is certainly powerful as it has, and can be used, to justify virtually any action anyone wishes to take.
    It can do this because it's alive in the sense that it can be interpreted anyway anyone wants, and it has various versions and portions are have internal contradictions.

However it's not alive in the same way that the U.S. Constitution is.

10. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

I tell you I understand Universal . Since I entered this forum years ago I have promoted this idea . IS IT NOW ? Good god . .

Good luck grief gracious friend in family ...

11. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

It's alive if taken as allegory and powerful if it opens you to experiencing life now. I think that's always been it's purpose, but the true meanings have been covered in the dust of 2000 years of human tradition, abuse and changes in culture. It helps to read other literature from the same time period like ovid and also to throw away all the doctrines and creeds.

12. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

It's not an accurate representation of the life of Jesus . People have put all their faith in and have over the centuries twisted it around to meet their own expectations and prejudice. It's well known that there are many books that are not in the texts that discuss Jesus and that what you call the Bible did not exist until centuries after his death. Until then it was an oral tradition. It's obvious at some point men decided what was true and not your Christian perspective of god. That does not mean Christians are not good people or that the book does not have some use when used properly but they need to understand the book for what it is and that is fables written by men for a primitive people so maybe they could apply said fables to their life.

The story's had been going around the region for many centuries before. The "flood" for example is thousands of years older then the time Christians claim Jesus lived. The actual facts that inspired the stores have been lost to them.

He was just man. A wise man probably. He actuly never spoke of many of the things you think he did. True Christianity is like Buddhism the power of god is in you not the worship of another man giving it to you. SO many people claimed to be the son of god at that time. It was a pretty common scam to claim to speak on behalf of god. Just like the televangelist does now. Jesus might not have been that he may have had good intentions but many people also had that hustle.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  13. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I don't think thats the issue at all. Kids who take notice of these stories generally love them. Adolescents are typically bored with anything (especially stuff that their parents value, but they themselves not).
    The crux with how boring the Bible is generally regarded is 1) which version young people are confronted with (the older versions with more old fashioned wording and thus read more difficult are perceived more boring) and 2) if they are confronted with it voluntarily or by obligation (like to get a chapter read to you after dinner for example, or sunday morning in church).
    Whatever me and my friends thought of Christianity and all those biblical stories in our adolescent teens (not much good :() we didn't found the stories boring, quite the contrary, they're really intriguing and a lot are full of action and adventure even. It's not really hard to like them as a youngster. Certainly not when its a more accessible version.

14. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Jubilees 4:9-14

1. And Cain took Âwân his sister to be his wife and she bare him Enoch at the close of the fourth jubilee. [190-196 A.M.] And in the first year of the first week of the fifth jubilee, [197 A.M.] houses were built on the earth, and Cain built a city, and called its name after the name of his son Enoch.
    2. And Adam knew Eve his wife and she bare yet nine sons.
    3. And in the fifth week of the fifth jubilee [225-31 A.M.] Seth took Azûrâ his sister to be his wife, and in the fourth (year of the sixth week) [235 A.M.] she bare him Enos.
    4. He began to call on the name of the Lord on the earth.
    5. And in the seventh jubilee in the third week [309-15 A.M.] Enos took Nôâm his sister to be his wife, and she bare him a son in the third year of the fifth week, and he called his name Kenan.
    6. And at the close of the eighth jubilee [325, 386-3992 A.M.] Kenan took Mûalêlêth his sister to be his wife, and she bare him a son in the ninth jubilee, in the first week in the third year of this week, [395 A.M] and he called his name Mahalalel.

15. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Mahalalel is a good name.

16. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

The Bible is true because the Bible says that the Bible is true. You just gotta love that logic.

17. themnax

themnax Senior Member

when a lot of people read the same words and believe each other to have a similar understanding of them, this has a statistical effect.
    this is the same for all religious beliefs, not just christianity.

that is the only "life" in it though. the "life" of social psychology. something its authors understood, intuitively, if not in fine detail.

18. OlderWaterBrother

OlderWaterBrother May you drink deeply Lifetime Supporter

Yes, I do.