Do you ever regret taking drugs?

Discussion in 'Drug Polls' started by Black_Lotus, Feb 7, 2012.

1. midgardsun

midgardsun Senior Member

2. walsh

walsh Senior Member

If I had never done drugs, I would be slaving away at some pointless job to acquire what other people and our ancestors have said we have to have and end up in middle age miserable because I realize I never wanted that and it was only really to contribute to something called 'society' which is a giant sack of goo absorbing all we choose to give to us and brainwashing us that it is a good thing to give all our energies to it.

3. etkearne

etkearne Resident Pharmacologist

No I do not regret one bit of it. I would be dead by suicide from my severe mental illness had it not been for drugs, both the legal (like Zyprexa, etc.) and the illicit (opioids, amphetamines, etc.). I would be six feet under ground right now and I have no doubt about that.

4. thorsvin

thorsvin Member

I've always wondered if I could have achieved more if I had never tried any drugs, but I suppose musing on those thoughts is rather pointless.

Almost every time I take a psychedelic I regret it at one point during the trip. Even if I was enjoying it, I usually ruin the trip for myself this way. It's strange, because I continue to do them regardless...

5. Raga_Mala

Raga_Mala Psychedelic Monk

I can relate to this. It doesn't "ruin the trip" for me, but I do feel this often when I'm tripping.

6. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

Not a bit.

But in fairness I've limited any pill use to Valium and codeine

Coke is a rarity in any form and I think it should be avoided by most people as they lack the self control to handle it.

Opiates have either been prescribed or the old fashioned variety but I'd love to try tea one of these days. Nothing I'd ever dream of cultivating as it's simply far too enjoyable to ever allow myself such ready access.

LSD has been a road to hell and back on more than a few occasions and not to quote Beetlejuice but "it just keeps gettin' better every time I do it" :cheers2:

Datura has it's lessons as well but if the thought of LSD and what it can do scares the shit off of you, stay the fuck away from it. And if you go near it, take teeny-tiny baby steps in your approach.
    I think in most cases, anyone who's checked they regret it regret's more their lack of self control in how they handled their usage more than anything. But then that's just my 2 cents.

7. midgardsun

midgardsun Senior Member

Yes, Ive spent some years with Datura and Belladonna, thats the way to approach it.
    Only the very first time I took it, nature unveiled all its secrets to me:)

8. walsh

walsh Senior Member

I've sometimes thought this but I realized it's not true. I've experimented with abstinence for extended periods compared with taking drugs for several months and there's no difference.

9. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

my answer is no, but neither of the options listed. i don't regret taking any drugs, but i don't think taking drugs have been some of the best experiences of my life either.

10. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

Sometimes I wonder if I had never done any drugs, would I find a better way to make myself happy and entertained? I'll never know.

11. seizedbyanger

seizedbyanger Banned

I selected no, but there are certain drugs I wish I didn't do- I wish I would have never smoked weed because of how sick it made me every time I have ever tried it and it instilled a fear in my about getting sick from trying other drugs, so now I'm very weary of new experiences because of how disgusting pot it

12. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

I don't regret trying them....

Except this ONE TIME:

I took ecstasy at a concert. I had a lot of fun, it peaked, I found a girl and hooked up with her, took her back to my place, got naked and I couldn't get fully hard because all my serotonin levels were shot from the molly. Can't get a boner without serotonin. There is no pride in that, only shame. I never heard from her again.

That was the only time I ever regret ever doing drugs.

13. etkearne

etkearne Resident Pharmacologist

That is a decent way of putting it, actually. While I do think drugs have helped better my "everyday life," most of my "peak experiences" have not been on drugs (other than my psychiatric medicines). However, a few peak experiences have been on drugs. The following come to mind:

-My 2C-I trip five or six months ago which really shifted a lot of baggage out of my psyche.
    - My first strong opioid experiences back in like 2007-2008.
    - The occasional times when I insufflate a high dose of Adderall or other amphetamine like drug AND it is accompanied by something externally amazing like a music concert, learning something new on bass guitar, a jazz jam, sitting outside sun-tanning, or even simply taking a walk outside to get some fresh air.

14. Doobieismyname

Doobieismyname Member

So tell me, what kind of experience do dissociatives provide. I've always been curious to try them but heard mixed things? What's your take?

15. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

They are unique and effects are somewhat different depending on the drug but as far as ketamine/mxe goes... It's like a hybrid between the care free, dreamy quality of opiates mixed with a more stimulating and visionary headspace of psychedelics.

I'm more into psychedelics so ill relate it with that. I often use a pool analogy for psychedelics the shallow end can be easier trips/light doses and the deep end can be more difficult trips/higher doses. I refer to Disassociatives as like swimming around the psychedelic pool with floaties on. You can go to either end and get a feel of what swimming in the psychedelic pool is like but its not really like truly immersing yourself in the experience, its a very relaxed, easy trip imo (although some don't like being so far gone out of their mind) but its also extremely difficult to bring back and integrate anything useful from it in the long term.

So For me its a complicated relationship I have with disassociative drugs sort of a love/hate thing which im sure many who have had problems with abusing particular drug(s) can relate with.

16. playitsafe

playitsafe Member

I often think, I would have been more "successful" if I had never smoked that first bowl of weed, but I look at what I have, where I am, and who I am with, and the experiences of my life led me here, and I would change that for nothing.

Sometimes, I do wish I had taken it easier. I used to be a damned smart guy, and still am for the most part, but I feel slower after the mix of crap I've ingested. Didn't follow "everything in moderation" well enough in high school.

17. BTS

BTS Member

18. walsh

walsh Senior Member

Nonsense. It's this kind of dogma which is making you slow, not drugs. Look at Terence Mckenna, Leary. If anything smoking weed every day made them smarter.

19. Grainpsilo

Grainpsilo Member

I have never tried drugs until I was in college and was working in a lab with a old hippie thst use to tell me crazy ass stories about his exploits and my favorite was about him and his buddies growing shrooms. Now as I said I had never tried them but the act of growing them sounded like fun and I wanted to see if ai could do it so I got some spores and spent several months researching teks and gathering supplies and after a few mis-steps I produced my first vatch of mushrooms and had to ask myself the question.... now what?

So I tried them and that was my start down the rabbit hole and I have been growing them for 10 years now.

Mushrooms are pretty much the only thing I do on a regular basis as it helps to relax me after a long week of being a corporate stooge.

And they don't drug test for them.

As for regret I do regret all the time I lose (6+ hrs) to laying on my couch tripping balls. I work 80 hrs a week and have very little free time so that is 6 hrs I could have been productive or worked on my other hobbies. But I also regret how infrequent I get to do them these days. I am lucky if I have time to trip once every 2-3 months. It is possible to do drugs to much but you can also do them to little as well.

20. kokujin

kokujin Senior Member

no just alcohol. shit's evil!!