Do we want it legalized?

Discussion in 'Cannabis Activism' started by Levi0814, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Levi0814

Levi0814 Member

Especially now... It would just be a bunch of kids using it to get fucked up rather that using it to think or for any good. Too many people use it for that sole purpose, and that's wrong. Since the '60s, that's just mainly what it's been about. It would be great that there wouldn't be laws to incriminate recreational users, but I don't think at this point in our society that it's a very smart idea. Honestly.

Alcohol for one should be controlled better or banned altogether; there is no good in it, nor will there ever be.

2. indian~summer

indian~summer yo ho & a bottle of yum

oh man i have never heard such an ignorant statement on this subject... :confused:
    and please don't get offended but my use of the word ignorant, i simply mean maybe you should learn more about prohibition before suggesting such a thing...

3. Levi0814

Levi0814 Member

What are you talking about? Oh yes, people would surely freak if there was some abrupt ban on alcohol. All I'm saying is it just SHOULDN'T be legal because of what it does to the body. Is that ignorant?

4. boothy

boothy Senior Member

Of course alcohol should be legal.
    So should cannabis.
    So should ecstacy.
    So should cocaine.
    So should ketamine.
    So should LSD.

And shit-shock-horror:
    So should heroin.

Responsibility and moderate users should be able to legally take drugs. Freedom as long as it does not affect others.

Basically, no person should control what we do to our own bodies.

5. indian~summer

to an extent it is
    history has proven that prohibition does not work
    perhaps if concerned with the effects alcohol has on the culture/society/health of people..a better suggestion might be to help people with it rather than making it illegal all together
    criminalizing something does nothing, it just puts innocent people in jail, it makes more people 'criminals' in the eyes of the law, it oftend has an adverse effect on the issues of getting people to stop drinking
    alcohol does good for the body too, in moderation having a glass of wine has been shown in scientific research that it has benifical effects on the body
    rather than get rilled up on this subject, and in turn probably just provoke you more, i'm going to stop here
    just maybe do some research is all i'm going to say
    ~peace :)

6. Levi0814

Levi0814 Member

As far as science goes, there isn't so much you can just listen to and actually take it's word for. I do believe if someone wants to use it personally, you know, no big deal, no problem. It's just the whole fucking way people use alcohol socially, parties, bars, etc. It just creates problems, esp. drunk driving. To an extent I believe it should be controlled somewhat, not necessarily banned altogether. When I stated that in the first post, I was thinking more of an "i wish" thing with that statement.

7. indian~summer

then a better suggestion in my opinion would to help people with drinking problems, making something illegal does nothing
    there is a problem in our society with drinking and it does need to be taking into consideration
    my 'i wish' statement would be that there should be more social organizations for addiction and a general sense of caring for people more than just sending them to jail for doing something 'illegal'
    one problem with the internet is you never really know where a person is coming from, so sentences get misinterpreted...
    oh well i should stop here before people start to think i'm a smartie-pants :D
    it's my job to be pretty and dumb :D

8. theshaman

theshaman Member

I bet 95% of all internet arguments would never happen if the words were spoken rather than typed.

9. Balloonatic

Balloonatic Senior Member

dude thats just your opinion

10. Levi0814

Levi0814 Member

So you're saying there isn't a current problem with alcohol in our society?

11. theshaman

theshaman Member

There is a huge problem with alcohol today. But prohibition does not and will never work. There are some smokers that smoke for the wrong reasons, and give the rest of us a bad name. But there are millions more who smoke for enlightenment, creativity, medical reasons, the list goes on.

12. wonderboy

wonderboy the secret of your power!

lol the big lebowski "well, that's just like, your opinion man"

13. omgimmatt

omgimmatt Visitor

the government shouldn't incriminate any form of recreation.

14. Peace_love_equality

Peace_love_equality Member

ya, the law for alcahol is, you can use it, as long as you don't hurt anyone else. which is the way it should be. it should be that way for all other drugs too. right now where just wasteing our tax money on incrinating innocent drug users, and the organized gangs, that are replaced the day after one gang is arrested. its safer, to legalize it. for example, u don't know what could be in ectacy. And more people toke in north america per capita, than amsterdam.
    Peace

15. smokindude

smokindude Senior Member

the reason it wont be fully legal is because America already decided to have our society exist of stupid drunks, rather than harmless weed heads.

16. TheMadcapSyd

TheMadcapSyd Titanic's captain, yo!

Well there's also thousands of years of history of alcohol being socially accepted in many world cultures going back to the ancient Egyptians that it has working for it.

Did you know the ancient Egyptians drank beer through a straw cause the way their beer turned out it was a bit lumpy.

17. medicalbud

medicalbud Member

Just a few things to think about

Smoking kills half a million a year and is legal
    Booze kills around 50,000 a year and its legal
    I don't say stop booze and cigs, you have a right to them
    I smoke trying to stop more pot less cigs LOL, but we as people should make the choice not goverment.

Pot does not kill -No one ever OD on record
    Has medical benefits
    Pot in the 1920s was placed in the same class as coke and heroin

Sounds fair ?

THE FDA on 4/20/06
    Made a statement that there is no studies that support smoking medical marijuana but in pill form its OK. WHAT????

4/20/06 just so happens to be the day NORMAL has a national conference day.

YET

Three 3 weeks later gave OK WITH 2nd pills with THC called Cesamet along with Marinol both are SYNTHETIC forms of THC .

100,000 a year die from your local pharmacy drug store.

BTW studies show SYNTHETIC forms of THC is not ass good for helping the sick because they are leaving out other important parts of the plant

Sounds right? sound like they care?

Gateways

Polls shows that most had a cig or drink first before pot use.

I live in San Francisco California where we past prop 215 in 96 and now along with 9 total states sell medical pot and you are legal. But only California has more than 7 clubs most have 1-2-6 we have 140+.

So there is movement on in the USA and its got one of the biggest pro groups helping NORML and since its help its already got the medical pot movement in the USA growing.

I feel if cig and booze are legal then pot should be legal too.

The anti movement is losing ground due to info.

Now its all out there

the studies the tests are out even if they say are not.

last year at family reunion with 40+ family sitting in back yard drink up a party.

So I take out a joint and I got a look like I just shot JFK.

I said what you all can drink a 6 pack and I cant have a joint bs and smoked.

18. C123-473

C123-473 Member

Holy crap, grandma. You can't be serious.
    I didn't think the Amish used computers.

You can sign up here:
    http://www.prohibition.org/

But first, read the history.
    Pick a site - like, oh...:
    http://www.geocities.com/Athens/troy/4399/

Illegality is much more harmful to society than marijuana ever could be by itself.

19. medicalbud

medicalbud Member

Especially now... It would just be a bunch of kids using it to get fucked up rather that using it to think or for any good.

Kids already do if they want to Also by being not legal it puts our kids at risk with dealers and bad areas. Alot of weed dealers sell other things

Too many people use it for that sole purpose, and that's wrong.

I use to relax.
    I use for pain.
    I use to get high and I enjoy and to enhance life more which is the largest of all 3 groups.

Just like any other drug they want the end effect, the altered difference.

Since the '60s, that's just mainly what it's been about.

There is nothing wrong with drinking to get buzzed.
    Smoking pot to get high.
    Tons use for creative and medical.
    But whos to say why when how and for what it should be smoked? THE USER!

It would be great that there wouldn't be laws to incriminate recreational users.

I AGREE WOW

Since 800,000 last yr were busted for pot and the largest group were users not dealers or growers.

but I don't think at this point in our society that it's a very smart idea. Honestly.

they are already doing it, laws dont stop people from doing.
    Legal or not a person uses stuff reguardless of laws
    It does not make 1 single difference to they if its legal.

Alcohol for one should be controlled better or banned altogether; there is no good in it, nor will there ever be.

You need goverment to hold your hand, are you 12? no good in booze and cigs but its again freedon of choice.Hey heres a idea

Dont like drinking hey dont drink
    Dont like pot dont smoke
    its that easy

Whats next need goverment coming in the home and telling you to go to bed right?

20. Infinite Sky

Infinite Sky Member

You're absolutely correct in drawing a parallel between the self-absorbed, hedonistic behavior already prevelant in today's youth, and the effects that marijuana tends to have on people's priorities. That said, don't let dillusional teenagers who think all the World's problems will be magically solved once enough people have a good buzz going sway you in any fashion; all they're capable of is watching TV, lowering everything down to a humiliating level of mediocrity, and then watching more TV.