Depression and Relationships: Useful Info

Discussion in 'Relationships' started by walkoflife, Apr 26, 2005.

1. TheSongRemainsTheSam

TheSongRemainsTheSam Member

I disagree with this, ephemeral cravings for love with no constant aspiration for something specific seems like nothing more than a waste of time to me. I view life as a constant quest for that pure form of happiness that doesn't fade away or erode to something different than it was. In some relationships its scarier, that love gets completely turned on its head, and it turns to resentment.

Love is something that shouldn't be temporary. It should be constantly nurtured and built up over time so after a certain period of time, you can honestly say you love that person more then you did the day you met them.

1 person likes this.
  2. ci0616

ci0616 Banned

i do battle with depression at times. but i don't think i'd qualify as clinically depressed. i just have theese really bad moods sometimes... in any event, i've read about some of the meds and decided there not worth it. Sure, they've done wonders for some people but they've fucked others over tremendously

3. Zorba The Grape

Zorba The Grape Gavagai?

A wise decision. Medication should only be used in the most dire of circumstances, when depression is making you unable to cope with life.

4. midwesternGurl

midwesternGurl Member

I had a relationship once where the guy was bipolar and it seemed like every time we went on a date, he was either on top of the world or highly depressed. Ultimately I could't stand it and we went our separate ways. He did take medication for it, but it didn't always work and he didn't always take it as a result of the weird side effects.

5. ForrestOrchid

ForrestOrchid Guest

Hi, I'm New here.
    Nice site.

Sometimes it's really hard to take on depression... One should seek professional help..

http://FemaleLibidoReviews.org

6. ForrestOrchid

ForrestOrchid Guest

Hi, I'm New here.
    Nice site.

Sometimes it's really hard to take on depression... One should seek professional help..

http://FemaleLibidoReviews.org

7. uklfstyle

uklfstyle Guest

i think that who's struggling with depression must consult a doctor or something,and try some cures.

8. greengypsy68

greengypsy68 Guest

God bless you dizzy man! I've been depressed for the last decade and i've been looking for some type of natural way to help myself instead of relying on "professionals" like i've been.

9. Humperdink

Humperdink Member

There are two different types of depression. One is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain, usually due to genetics, and can be fixed with medication. The other is caused by your environment and can be fixed by modifying your environment, which includes your diet. I am bipolar and if it were not for divine interveention and medication, I would be dead now. I am on lithium and haldol and doing just fine, thank you very much.

10. Mexicanita420

Mexicanita420 Member

i just want to sat that depression oesnt only affect the "depressed one" it affect everyone else involved

11. Yancyxx

Yancyxx Member

I agreed with You...Thanks for shared

12. Hamburglar0

Hamburglar0 Guest

Great thread, loving the number of quality resources here... just recently went through a rough breakup, so I thought I'd share a couple of the websites/articles that helped me:

Breakup Advice from Santa Clara University <=== tons of good info on one page from a reliable source

Ways to Make Your Ex Miss You <=== possibly saved my relationship by using this info (also found a female version for getting back your ex boyfriend)

Breakup Advice from Esquire Mag <== yes i know, it's a magazine, but it was helpful

Keep the good resources coming!! :)

13. Avera

Avera Guest

Please help if you are not too hurt from something similar:
    I feel hopeless in my life cause I never made a living and after getting old moved in with someone I could share digs with and reliably so....this dude is emotionally absent and remote and devoid of empathy...but lets me stay. I feel like I can't afford NOT to stay. The trade off is I am going insane from the isolation and meaningless relationship here.....feel hopeless cause I feel powerless to make a change that would be a good one. Any thoughts? Thanks ;=)

14. Avera

Avera Guest

Wish it were so. Sitting here after a few tokes of mightyfine.... and then
    I just sent this electronic shout-out that said this: "Please help if you are not too hurt from something similar:
    I feel hopeless in my life cause I never made a living and after getting old moved in with someone I could share digs with and reliably so....this dude is emotionally absent and remote and devoid of empathy...but lets me stay. I feel like I can't afford NOT to stay. The trade off is I am going insane from the isolation and meaningless relationship here.....feel hopeless cause I feel powerless to make a change that would be a good one. Any thoughts? Thanks ;=)
    Unquote

Getting closer to your inner truths can do one important good thing: It can make you more valid or real, as a human being. Period. Maybe that will take care of all your other problems. But to say so glibly that it DOES...is pushing it a little...maybe. ;=)
    Peaceout....

15. Hamburglar0

Hamburglar0 Guest

You'll never be able to move on and find meaningful love or a partner you're happy with if you stay in a relationship that's not working. Just because you fear the loneliness associated with breaking up doesn't mean you should stay with someone who is "emotionally absent" and "devoid of empathy"... and in some ways being single might be better than being in a relationship that makes you feel hopeless or has only arisen out of convenience.

My recommendation is to find the strength within yourself to take control of the situation, move on from your current unsatisfying romance, and jump into the world of dating again. No matter how pathetic you may feel or how little confidence you have in your ability to find true love, the reality is that many, many other people of the opposite sex are out there trying to find someone like you. It's just a matter of finding the initial strength to move on and live the single life again.

There's lots of resources out there to help you move on and find a new, more fulfilling relationship... here's a list of attractive qualities that men look for that might help you start re-building your new self-image. Another option is to see a relationship counselor -- I have been to several in the past and always found they offered helpful advice (hopefully you have insurance or the financial means to do so if need be.)

Best of luck. :2thumbsup:

16. airwolftruker

airwolftruker Member

I wish love was truly blind......my looks and character do not reflect my soul.
    It takes time to know a mans heart, i would give anything to love.
    Being alone has taught me to be comfortable in loneliness.

17. nz male

nz male Senior Member

I have been thru depression to & it's not what I would want to experience again.
    It makes you feel very different & can cause a lot of tears or stress / uneasy about doing things etc

18. aquacrystal682

aquacrystal682 Member

I've been taking St. John's Wort for my depression. I'm generally against the other anti-depressants, but I'm okay with it since it's natural.

My best friend (who broke my heart because I fell in love with him while in a long term relationship I'm staying in (and he's also my boyfriend's best friend DX)) is horribly depressed and has been for years. I really want to help him in any way I can, but I've got no clue how and I can barely help myself stay up. He says he has tried everything, but I have hope for him that there's some way for him to be happy, or at least to enjoy anything in life again... Does anyone have any sort of advice for this?

19. Trista31

Trista31 Guest

I've recently been through a horrible heartbreak...my gf of 3 years broke my heart due to the fact that she says she is straight now. I'm having a hard time dealing with this we live together work together its just very difficult sometimes I think I'm ok but it still hurts. I love her dearly and do want her to be happy. But it's hard to see her going out and getting text messages from who knows and smiling cause I use to make her smile...I wish she could realize we had a good thing we were talking about having kids just a few months ago and now she dropped this bomb on me a my whole world blew up...I already battle with depression and tho has got me in a slump...please someone give me some advice anyone...

20. Hamburglar0

Hamburglar0 Guest

Saw a news article about this a few days ago and thought some people might find it helpful (or, at the very least, amusing): Can You Get Your Ex Back - Interactive Quiz Tool

Basically you answer a series of questions and then you get a report showing your odds of winning back an ex. (I scored 59... hehe... good thing I don't want her back anymore...)