Daws In General Pro Tools Inspacific

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by Brad Scott, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

It is pretty amazing though, after all the years of wishing I had my own recording equipment, to have what amounts to 10's of thousands of dollars worth of multitrack recording with more post production tools and effects than I could have ever dreamed of and all on a free computer.
    LOL I remember saving to buy the first digital delay stomp box back when they came out, and later having to buy two DD units to get professional sounding production on my first fostex, one for delay and one for reverb. Now I have programmable everything, automated mixing, you name it. I could program an entire light show and videos synced with all the backing tracks and effects I could ever imagine.
    But I'm a player, I would much rather have an engineer do all that shit so I could concentrate on what I do best...playing music on real instruments in real time. If there's anything I've learned about modern music technology, one person simply can't know or be proficient at everything. Just learning the software is a hugely time consuming affair, as you may well know.

2. Brad Scott

Brad Scott Members

Tell me about it. I signed up along with a dozen or so well established musicians to create and run this project teaching high school students how to play electric guitars, Bass, guitars drums, and keyboards. The school system gave us no money and would not even let us play on School grounds. Fortunately many of the artist involved in the project are very sucsessfl and very generous. Unfrtunatly most only live in Hawaii part time.
    The point it your right. The music is always where its at. Thats one reason I can spend 6 hours playing at work come home and often fall asleep playing--especially bass. For some reason those low tones are very soothing--so if that sets off the bullshit monitor-or whatever thats fine...Again back to point. Three years ago we didn't really think about the whole "step recording" or "home Studio" we all grew up in the sign your soul to a kid in suite era. But after what happened with 30 sec to Mars (there one band that was mega famous before signing) and scores more who posted vids on you tube and became overnight sensations. If you haven't seen this trend I'm pretty sure Rollin Stone has had a few atriculs about it. But your point about the music being the what it's all about is one reason I began this thread. I'm currently deep into the Pro Tools 101 course book and I feel like I'm drowning. I'm awed by the possibilities but yesterday I broke down and went to a friend who is a an enginer/dj and producer. He plays no instruments but makes music in Africa, Japan and all over Polynesia. I'm thinking that as the tech gets more intuitive the next generation should know more than we did about sound engineering and production. I got lucky and learned my way around sound board and racks while working as a roady for a band that seemed to be on tour just about all the time. But if given a choice between FOH and plaing and singing on stage I'd chose the latter every time. Stage fright and all.

3. Brad Scott

Brad Scott Members

4. Gongshaman

I thought you said without a record deal? [wiki]The band released their first studio album, 30 Seconds to Mars, on August 27, 2002 in the United States through Immortal and Virgin" Virgin is not a major label?
    Bob Ezrin produced it... Not too many industry cats bigger than Ezrin. Yeah they just fucking called Bob Ezrin and said "hey dude, produce our album!" LOL There had to have been industry connects, without a doubt. Or the band offered such a big paycheck he couldn't turn it down? Not likely
    They didn't even break on their first record. You said gained superstardom without a major record deal.

Got any more Cinderella stories?

5. Brad Scott

Brad Scott Members

I think we'er close to same page. That first band that I played rhythm in often played jams that lasted for 20 min or longer. We traded off lead and sometimes just made it up as we went. Literally. I sometimes sang verses to covers that wern't in the original and for a about a year I didn't know there modes other than mixolydian or opposing minor. But I was lucky. I met the right people who taught me the right things when i needed then most.--So your a violinist? I need one-well several Hawaii is a nice place to come to make music-if you don't mind surfing all day and recording all night, Unfortunately I have a neighbor who plays violin better than most fish swim. (I don't supose you ever played in Aspen CO in 77-78? My first time on stage was sitting in for bands with members who'd gone AWL?

6. Gongshaman

Not a violinist anymore, I haven't touched a violin in probably 15 years. I was never a 'Great' violinist... Hell, I struggled just to be a good one. I've had plenty of compliments on my playing, and I got a great deal of satisfaction that I attained the level I did as a purely self-taught player. I reached a point where I had to realize, I'd swung too much hammer as a carpenter to ever have the kind of subtlety in my bowing arm to progress much further. LOL, it's called industrial disease, you may have heard Mark Knofler sing about it.

Oh, never played in Aspen btw, nope.

7. Brad Scott

Brad Scott Members

I'd like to get some input about what to do next spring when we have 3rd year students that have formed some pretty insane bands, some solo artist and vocalist. We plan on recording a number of videos with the help of the AV club which has about $20,000 of high end equipment. Our little project which has over 100 students in 5 grades and aoloist has budget of $0. However marching band and orchestra while also underfunded have instruments and their instructors get paid.) They know how to use it but between time for practice --this spring we have 3 live festivals planned at some fantastic venues (two are almost on the beach.)--Last night I was reading the Pro Tools 101 course manual, we don't plan on teaching that but it's what we use at the studio where I'm working right now. We'll teach Garage band and logic X if there is time.
    Anyway while reading through the course book I realized that I've been working with computers in one way or another almost as long as I've been playing music (if don't count a drum set for christmas from my uncle in Vietnam in 1968 and Piano lessons that I got as a deal for never playing those dums agains) I first used an apple all in one computer the year after I left Aspen.. IMO no computer will ever take the place at the music. The greeks got to right

8. Gongshaman

Pass around a cassette recorder and individually see which ones can play a full song/ arrangement, by themselves, straight through without help from the other bandmates. especially the drummers

9. deleted

deleted Visitor

working on this song now, but around 4 verse Im not able to keep up with the lyrics. got the guitar part down mostly.

10. Gongshaman

Cool! Catchy tune.

11. Brad Scott

Brad Scott Members

12. Gongshaman

[​IMG] I'm waiting...and superstardom means they make the top forty billboard, or it really ain't that super.

13. Brad Scott

Brad Scott Members

Its worth the effort. When I began really playing piano/keyboard guitar took on a whole new meaning. Suddenly arrangements in most istruments came much easier and I went being from the runt kid in the band to an equal partner. Its not always about how successful the song is Sometimes it;s just about what you learn while writing recording and playing it. Stay with it.

14. Gongshaman

I don't think you can keep a train of thought, Scott. You went from bands that have attained superstardom without a major record deal to getting satisfaction from just writing and recording. Tell your students if they want to write and record music, get a part time job to support it. Don't feed them superstardom myths.

15. Brad Scott

Brad Scott Members

Okay asawipe that post wasn't meant for you it was meant for orsin. Somehow it jumped a page. Anyway I'm gona take the advice of a mutual friend end this right here. Feel free to keep being your bitter loser self. This has been a colossal waste of time.
    And these kids are very well grounded. Some of them are already making enough money to quite their day job/school but they'er smarter than that. They have some very good advisors and inspite of this unless thread I have no doubt many of them will do just fine. Hawaii runs on the tourist industry. And entertainment of all sorts is what that runs on.

16. Gongshaman

Good. B'bye "asawipe" Take your silver-spoon bred attitude and go.