Daws In General Pro Tools Inspacific

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by Brad Scott, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Brad Scott

Brad Scott Members

i have used many of the major DAWs over the years starting with ACID by Sony, in the early 1990s, Then after a serious accident made playing guitar, bass etc imposable I got a Yamaha sysnth/work station that wasn't bad for the day. It came with MIDI and Cakewalk. Since then I have used Sonae .!,2 & 3. Audacity, and Sternberg, EnergyXT, and currently Pro Tools 11.

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I use Reaper...

3. Brad Scott

Brad Scott Members

I didn't finish--I'd like to know what others are using, and what sorts of control surfaces they have come up with. I kinda custom built mine using some older high end equipment from bands I had worked with in the past and some cheep but so far pretty great stuff.
    In particular I am getting used to something new. Step recording with and Avid Mbox 8x8 and Pro Tools 11 to the new Mac Pro Book with i7 quad core and 16 GB RAM which seems to be more than enough PC to work with. Anyone who is in a similar situation I'd like to know about it View attachment AvitarGuitar.psd

4. Brad Scott

Brad Scott Members

Dot they too...It came with Vyper amp I got. The one that can play guitar, Bass, and Ascitic. I also forgot to mention gaurge band and probably a few others that came with all the amps recorders and mixing board laying around here. How do like Reaper. I never really gave it a chance. Everytime I did a live gig on radio or TV or was in the studio in the last 14 years it was some evolution of Avid that was being used.

Reaper seemed a little to heaven metal for what I normally do.

5. deleted

deleted Visitor

heaven metal? like Stryper.. sweet... ;)

6. Tyrsonswood

Reaper is a DAW... It's not genre specific. It can do anything ProTools can do... Some of the developers of Reaper jumped ship from ProTools because it (protools) is a rip off. I came from Cakewalk and Reaper is miles above that.

7. Brad Scott

Brad Scott Members

Of course Reaper is a DAW. But you cannot do everything with Reaper that you can do with Pro Tools or Pro Tools HD. And maybe I should be more clear, I'm sure you could record most if not all pop genres on Reaper. It was the modeling on the Vyper !! amp I had personal issues with. Well among other things. Maybe Avid hardware and software are rip off,(I couls bring it up at the guild meeting I get to.) but I don't know of any major studios or movie production companies, TV or radio stations that don't use it. Unless they have some finical reason not to.

I didn't start this to prop up one DAW or rag on another. And if thats what everyone wants to do then I'm sure we can all find out everything we want to know at the forums for whatever environment we want to work in. And just let this die. If you like Reaper more than some other software then why not say why you like it. Most modern recording begins in waveform so at some point they are all interchangeable. Just wondering how much did you pay for Reaper?

Here's a question. Is Adobe Au (Audition) a DAW?

8. Brad Scott

Brad Scott Members

Sorry about that. My spell check needs a spell check?!i!i? :D

9. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

Black Ingvars. [sharedmedia=gallery:images:70378]

http://youtu.be/IUMsuDDVnCg

10. Tyrsonswood

I'm not making money with my music or studio so a fully functioning license for Reaper is $60. If I were making money with it the "full license" is $225... There's no difference with the software, it's just being honest about your usage. Reaper isn't Audacity, it's not stripped down software... I still say you can do anything with Reaper that can be done with protools except use certain hardware that is protools specific. Your problems with Reaper being "heavy metal" was that amp, not the software.

I realize all the major studios are locked into protools but that doesn't make it better... They are also locked into Macs. I use a PC.

I've never used Audition so I don't know if it's a fully functioning DAW or not. I know it's able to record and mix tracks, so it has DAW aspects... I believe it's limited though.

11. Brad Scott

Brad Scott Members

In 2012 Avid sold off most of their hardware affiliates to partners-including Mbox. December 31st 2014 was the last day you could get the full Pro Tools 11 and HD for $200 if you had Express. I was told it wold go back up to $600 after the new year. And your right about the Avid and Mac link. It goes back to the first PC based recording. Many of the things PT is capable of will never be used outside the high budget movies on scoring. For instance if your using a 32 core 2x Xeon 3.4 Ghz processor w/dual GPU and 64 GB RAM you can record mix and render 512 tracks (like for scoring movies with an orchestra, and 768 MIDI or virtual tracks, I got the Mbox 8x8 last fall because it is pretty much the same stuff we use where I work. I often play for 4-6 hors at work but at home I frequently fall asleep with a guitar or base and wake up to find I'm still playing. This may sound odd but it's not that uncommon. This way I can just bring in rough tracks to work on my Pro Book. The sooner a master is sealed the sooner we can surf or SCUBA or whatever I never said there was anything wrong with Reaper and that snap judgement I made was because of the amp modeling--once again it's not so much the amp as what you do with it.

I still use Garge Band and logic, and I would use Sonar if it ran on mac because my stage synth was made to work with Sonar.

I started this sub-forum to find out what others were doing. I know I've been lucky. I've been playing and recording since 1979 and the changes in the industry blow my mind.

If I need technical assistance I can ask the head engine where I work or go to one of 1000s of forums or vids on youtube

maybe it wasn't sucha good idea.

12. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

Here's a bit of technical assistance, it's called a "bass"... Might seem trivial but it seems odd such an experienced musician would fuck that up.
    That and recommending a 3000+ watt amp with a multi-channel mixing board as a guitar rig, sorry, my bullshit alarm goes off...

13. Tyrsonswood

I think I turned that into a "guitar rig"... He meant it to be a PA, and possibly not noting what that thread was all about.

14. Tyrsonswood

Wasn't meaning to bash ProTools and derail your thread... It's part of my personality to buck "proprietary hardware/software" situations that everybody says "Well, it's the only way to do it". I see other ways as being just as viable. Hell, you can still make top notch music with a Fostex 4 track cassette machine. The art supersedes the hardware/software.

15. deleted

deleted Visitor

all your basses are belong to us..
    [​IMG]

16. Gongshaman

Sounds like compelling stuff...{{rollseyes}}

17. Brad Scott

Brad Scott Members

I started this because I teach a class in popular music at the highs cools (we only have 3, this s a small island. I in no way wanted to debated the Pros and Cons of DAWs or hardware rigs. I was hoping to get some insight into some of software and hardware that I haven't used. As it stands today it looks like Garageband and Logic Pro X will be the centre of the course. I have some friends doing some very impressing things with Ableton so with an luck he can teach an entire side of music that I know very little about.

This is the 3rd year we have been doing this and we have been blessed to have some people that have been working in the music business since the 1960s supporting the program in many ways. The school system gives us no support and only began giving credit for last year. This year we have 3 bands that have been playing live for the past year and they are even coming up with original material. So far they have recarded and produced 2 CDs in the studio where I work bt that will come to an end when they graduate. But music is nothing like it was when I was in highschol. So we have decided to bring the AV class together with our 3rd yrs students.

I'm still open to anyone who as something helpful to say. If my dyslexia sets off someones bullshiter or is they think i'm running a 24 track analoge board with 2x3000wt power amp just for a guitar maybe the should think about that. It's possible keep 1 & 2 hot more than the rest simply because I have favorite gutar and mic and since my Mbox only has 2 chanels I can record whatever comes to mind day or night. The other tracks run into a 32 track stand alone recording console and I have some little friends who come by and we un-mute the rest of the tracks and suddenly 600wts doesn'y seem like so much.

18. Gongshaman

Really? How so? I mean, besides programmed drums and auto-tune...or playing live to a click track to stay in sync with "virtual musicians' and video.

I run sonar/ cakewalk 7 (PC running XP), so I don't have much to say about those other softwares.

On the guitar rig thing, maybe I'm too old school, and I know there's a lotta great sims out there, but I run a simple rig for guitar, and all my heros do the same. I like guitar sounds, leave the synth sounds for the keyboard player. 60 watts can be loud enough to play with an acoustic drummer, I don't see any reason to need more. If it needs to be louder, mic it through the PA, and/ or use a direct box. Recording live guitar sound is a different story.

19. Brad Scott

Brad Scott Members

You've got to be kidding me.! How is the music world different? Well to begin with in the 70s we sat around phonographs for hours listening to and arguing over ever word and chord. Okay so it wasn't that bad and every song I learned then I can still play without thinking about it today. Base lines and leads were mostly improvised. You could buy sheet music but it was normal in notation and even those os us who could read music couldn't accurately translate to bass lines or gutar leads. There were no how to music vidios or even MTV until around 1980 so we took binoculars to concerts but we were always way to high or excited bother trying to memeorize chords or anything else.
    By the time my first band began recording (it wan't really my band at all. I was 17 and everyone else had graduated college I was just luckey enough to be walking by when their rhythm guitarist stormed out of the house. It took me a year to save enough money for my own electric.)
    And then there is recording--One thing we had then was were fantastic amps. They had no efx, and efx processors were studio only thing. Even there we put amps in stairwells for delay and strung cooper sheets in bed frames the put the amp on one side and the mic on the other. I have acoustic tiles that look like artwork and were placed using a graphic EQ with pink noise and a narrow tube cadence mic--that first studio had patchwork carpet on the wall in the basement of a large house in Shaker Heights Ohio.
    In the computer I'm working on now I have 3 (maybe 5 but not all active) Digital Audio Works Stations each of which are light years beyond EMI studios that the Beatles used to profuce their last 5 albums.
    There are bands ands solo artist today that have achived superstardom without ever signing a record deal(I'm even getting to that)--the point is if I hear a song I like I go to X-guitar or Ultimate Guitar or even go to Youtube and just get a tutorial. Sonar buy the way is an excellent program. The First DAW I used was Cake walk, and Sonar the last until we built a studio/practic/and modern music school. We had some very generous sponsors and we decided to go with mac. To be honest if you can figur out one DAW you'll eventually figure out what ever one you want.
    Finnal note. We use a number of methouds for recording guitar. Acoustic we use 2 mics, and electric it really depends on the efect we want. Ironically we were use a lot of the same methodes--ie:milking the amp. The sameway we do at large venues for base and guitar milk the amps through the PA

20. Gongshaman

I believe you previously had said "Music is nothing like it was when I was in highschool" so I actually thought you were talking about the music, not the technology.

I started formal guitar lessons when I was 8 years old, 1968. My first working band was 1975 playing the club circuit in Denver. I played lead guitar when lead guitar was king, 75% or more of my time on stage was spent improvising loong guitar solos. By 1982-83 I had quit the scene. Since I've played ( non-professionally) violin for ten years, trumpet 12 or so, and now I'm back to guitar and rounding out as a lead vocalist, something I'd never have thought I'd try.

I appreciate the advances in technology, but I'm not all gee-gaw over it. I don't see how its changed anything for the better, musically.
    It's just made things more convenient, and it's made it so you don't have to be real musician to produce something, just have to be able to play for 10 or 15 seconds, then you can loop, morph, auto tune, etc, into something that sounds like contemporary pop music or whatever. As a vocalist, I can fix the minutest details of how the voice sounds, dynamic range is no longer a problem, I can always normalize and compress my way out of bad mic proximity and lack of projection, lol then e.q. it honey sweet!
    Hell you can make something purely of samples and never have to play a lick of music yourself or even know anything about music at all.
    The devil in it all is there's no money in recorded music anymore, if you want to get paid you're gonna have to play live and lay all your talents bare.

Nobody cares anyway, EDM will destroy all...

Can't wait to hear who they might be...