Crazy Stuff You Used To Believe As A Kid

Discussion in 'Weird, Bizarre and Mysterious' started by Adamskiffle, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

As a fairly young kid I used to believe or at least strongly suspect that Mecca bingo was secretly operating as a 'knocking shop', I also used to never believe anyone that claimed to have had a lucid dream + I also used to think most people who did charitable deeds only did them to make themselves look good!

What kinda crazy stuff did you used to believe?....reveal!

2. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I used to think that God could see me picking my nose and would send me to hell for it, so I'd hide in the closet and do it. :D

3. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

I used to believe that everything was made by people. Including the land we walk upon. Not sure why I thought that, because I was told that dinosaurs came before us......

juggawatta and Michael Phelps like this.
  4. morrow

morrow Visitor

My grandparents had divorced in the late ,1940s..

When I was told, I had been convinced they didn't know each other..

I actually believed there was my mum's family, my dad's family, I had a grandad, but didn't realise he wasn't blood related.. then this other family with grandparents.. our family was so huge, didn't bother me..

But I sure was surprised they even knew each other.. :D

juggawatta likes this.
  5. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

My younger sister noticed all her favorite toys were made by this company called Pat Pending.

6. Cliff Unicorn

Cliff Unicorn Members

The saying “A Russian is a Russian even if fried in butter” is a joke
    Later on of course I got to know it wasn't any joke.

7. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

i was never allowed to go to the garbage dump when i was small (parents probably knew id be hard to handle there because im an explorer)

anyways it was described to me as "a hole in the ground that throw they garbage into"....so being a kid i of course imagined it was a hole in the ground like a vertical mine shaft of sorts....

what a disappointment when i finally got to go...it was just a pile of garbage that they push over the edge and slowly make a high pile...it wasnt even a hole

juggawatta likes this.
  8. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

A Garbage Tip Is Not A Garbage Tip.......It's An Invitation For Exploration...... :)

Cheers Glen.

9. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

landfills are the mines of the future

i guarantee that future people will be processing our waste to recover valuable resources we buried

juggawatta and Pete's Draggin' like this.
  10. expanse

expanse Supporters HipForums Supporter

I used to think all Germans used to walk around saying, "we have ways of making you talk".

And

I used to think dogs loved fire hydrants.

11. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

i used to think my dad knew everything

12. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

i used to believe we could be whatever we wanted to be

but the reality is that our will has just a small part in it...connections luck and happenstance have way more authority over us than we like to believe

juggawatta and Tyrsonswood like this.
  13. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I thought cameras were following me around for a tv show and everyone was in on the secret except me.

Then the Truman Show stole my idea.

I was a weird kid

14. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

There were so many black athletes as an insurance plan against the return of pre Martin Luther King racial relations. I don't know how to explain it. Like Michal Jordan's plan was just to be so cool we would be nice to him.

15. Banned Drama Queen

Banned Drama Queen Idiot

We used to look for "haunted" places that were local and supposed to be haunted... my older sister used to drive when I was like 14 and there was always a car load of friends ... we went to a place called Gravity Hill where there was this made up story about someone who died in a car accident there that was supposed to push your car to safety when it was off or neutral or something... we were convinced that it worked and that that was the cause... fun kid stuff

16. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

there used to be an old railway bridge near us with a vertical crack in the brickwork ( top to bottom ) about three inches wide , When we were kids there was a story that somebody killed a kid and stuffed his body in the crack !
    It was on my way home and I would rather Die than walk under it on my own , Even in a gang we would all just stop chattering and walk under it in silence ! Nobody ever said why but it just seemed right to shut up until we were passed it .
    Everybody just Called it "Killers Bridge" and I never Doubted it was true
    Now the railway banking and the bridge is long gone and there is a playing field there (wonder what they did with the Body )

Fifty years later , and if that scary bridge was still there No Way would I walk under it Alone

17. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

That is archtypal, man - that is so right on the money for childhood

I used to believe that when people said "that's a turnup for the books" they were talking about an actual turnip - which I think is called a rutabagaroonieveggiethingie in the States

18. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

When I moved to England (because my wife was a US Navy LT with US Navy), a lot of English expressions were very annoying. Calling a dump a tip was one of them. It implied that garbage could only be deposited off the back of a so-called tipper truck - it narrowed the imagination.

Lollipop lady didn't seem to confer as much dignity on a person as 'crossing guard'

Pantechnicon for moving van and juggernaut for 18-wheeler were also oddballs

I also understood why no country and western lyric had ever been written in the UK when I tried this:

"I was runnin' down the road I was feelin real good, I had
    600 horses, under the . . . uh . . . BON NET

It just didn't scan

juggawatta and scratcho like this.
  19. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

my bellybutton held my bum on

dang grandparents...

20. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I used to think my entire life was a dream. I was pretty convinced I would wake up as a newborn with a clean slate.