Common Figure of Speech/Colloquialism?

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by rstrats, May 3, 2018.

1. rstrats

rstrats Guest

1. The Messiah said that He would be three days and three nights in the "heart of the earth"

2. There are those who think that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with the resurrection taking place on the 1st day of the week.

3. Of those, there are some who think that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb.

4. A 6th day of the week crucifixion/1st day of the week resurrection allows for only 2 nights to be involved.

5. To account for the lack of a 3rd night, some of those mentioned above say that the Messiah was employing common figure of speech/colloquial language.

6. I wonder if anyone who falls in that group of believers could provide examples to support that belief; i.e., instances where a daytime or a night time was forecast or said to be involved with an event when no part of the daytime and/or no part of the night time could have occurred.

2. thefutureawaits

thefutureawaits Members

scriptures please

3. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

Matthew 12:40

4. Maccabee

Maccabee Luke 22:35-38

The simple answer is that Jesus wasn't crucified on Friday. Jewish culture always started their days at evening and Shabbat always started from Friday evening to Saturday evening. So when the Bible says that Jesus was crucified the day before Shabbat, it's talking about the day before Friday evening. This gives us three days and three nights.

5. rstrats

rstrats Guest

Maccabee,

Since you're not a 6th day of the week crucifixion advocate you probably don't know of examples.

6. Maccabee

Maccabee Luke 22:35-38

Yep, I probably don't. But I'm here for those who would use this as a way to discount the Bible completely. The Bible is fine, it's the doctrine that's the problem.

7. rstrats

rstrats Guest

Maccabee,
    re: " ...I'm here for those who would use this as a way to discount the Bible completely. The Bible is fine, it's the doctrine that's the problem."

Maybe you could start a new topic since that's a different issue from this one.

8. Why does everything have to be so "rationally explained"? He's the frickin' messiah for Christ's sake. If he says he would be in the heart of the Earth I would think he'd be poetic enough to intend that to sound as it does: He was in the Earth's friggin core for three days. What is he doing there? I don't know...keeping the Earth from exploding for some reason? He's got a lot of shit to do, he's the messiah. While we all run around la de da, he's in the Earth's frickin' core holding the planet together or some shit.

9. rstrats

rstrats Guest

Perhaps someone new looking in may know of examples.

10. rstrats

rstrats Guest

Monkey Boy,
    re: "Matthew 12:40"

Your point?

11. rstrats

rstrats Guest

Point #5 of the OP should be changed to read: To account for the lack of a 3rd night, there may be some of those mentioned above who say that the Messiah was employing common figure of speech/colloquial language.