Church clothes are selfish vanity

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by unfocusedanakin, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I dunno the difference in Mormons and witnesses and a Methodist. But they might come knocking on my door and the Catholics won't. :p

2. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

I forgot about the new young money hungry God wants you to make more money so you 10% is a bigger donation churches.

3. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yeah. They draw them in by the thousands. That's why they have so many services and "junior" pastors.

4. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I never expected this thread to be so hot or controversial and divisive!

Anyway, if you don't see a point to dressing nice before going to church, maybe church isn't for you. I don't mean that in the sense that only a heathen wears jeans (I wear jeans), but rather in the sense of respect. If you can't respect yourself, your fellow churchgoers, or the church itself to dress nice, you're probably not all that committed to the religion.

I was raised Catholic and I always had a couple different Sunday dresses, and my male cousins (we went to church as an extended family) always wore jackets and ties. It's just what we did. Why is that so bad?

You go to the theater, you dress up.
    You go to a job interview, you dress up.
    You go to church, you... dress up.

Jo King likes this.
  5. Aerianne

When I was last active in church, we had one month to "dress down". It was August and we called it Camp Meeting Month. You could dress down a little - like not wearing a tie and jacket, or not wearing stockings, but you still were expected to dress "respectable".

I was shocked when I went to see my granddaughters baptized. A young woman walked into church in what I'd almost call coochie cutters.

6. Noserider

Okay. I'm a little country bumpkin, but I'm not that country bumpkin: What, exactly, are coochie cutters?

I'm guessing tighter than normal shorts/pants that, well, you know...

Tis accurate, homegirl?

7. Aerianne

Yes, but they are short and cut into your coochie.

8. Aerianne

I wasn't sure whether to expect the call to worship or the walk of shame.

9. Noserider

So, yeah, what I assumed they were.

And not to judge your lifestyle, but...damn, homegirl!--don't you ever sleep!?!?!?!?!?

10. Aerianne

Yes, from about now until about then.
    lol

11. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

At the churches I'm familiar with, there's no dress code, and the trend is definitely casual. It's a cultural thing. If I showed up in a suit and tie, I'd be out of place. I do think there are probably outer limits based on cultural norms of respect and the idea that church is special rather than just everyday casual. Cutoffs, flip flops and a tank top get by a WalMart but could be perceived as disrespectful in church, unless those were the only clothes I could afford. I wouldn't wear them to a funeral, particularly if they were colorful. If I were invited to a social gathering at a friend's house and showed up in those, it would be pretty much the same. IOn the other hand, God doesn't give a rats ass, and people who do and make it known would probably be considered busybodies. If Jesus showed up wearing what he usually wore, somebody might call the guys with the butterfly nets, but most of the folks I know would bite their tongues. There is Mat. 6:25-26 to consider. Isn't life more than clothes?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

If jesus showed up now he'd be in jail by next week.

13. thefutureawaits

thefutureawaits Members

I wear a suit to our meetings

14. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Adam costume?

15. thefutureawaits

thefutureawaits Members

A simple suit with a tie

16. DeNuttySquirrel

DeNuttySquirrel Members

To an extent I agree with you. Early Christianity dressed up as a sign of respect. As in, Lord I wore the best I have for you. Me personally, do not feel the need to "dress up" to attend church. Church is not the building but the people who are a part of the "church community." I do feel that sometimes individuals dress a certain way out of pride. Not that it makes someone any better or worse by the clothes they wear. I would rather go to church without clothes, worshiping as I was created. If one believes that God is almighty and does not make mistakes why cover ourselves in an attempt to "beautify" God's creation.

You are correct, everyone is invited to attend. Sad part of that statement is not every Christian remembers that.

As is still today, farmers can be seen dressing to the 9's. Wives wearing big hats and fancy dresses. The main focus should not be who wore what. The main focus in any worship is simply that, worshiping.

Some do it to honor the host. At a wedding it is the bride and groom, at worship it should be the one being worshiped. Someone should not feel less of a person if they did not/or are unable to dress up to attend.

So, if Christians believe that their God is almighty and flawless, why cover ourselves and change the way we were created?

Deidre likes this.
  17. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

Last time I was at church my pastor was wearing a Seahawks baseball cap during the service. It was so refreshing. We also, had a dirty homeless man in one of the pews a few Sundays ago. I usually wear old running shoes, jeans and a hoodie.

Deidre and DeNuttySquirrel like this.
  18. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Because Gods almightyness is reflected in the weather ;) :p

19. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

[​IMG]

DeNuttySquirrel likes this.
  20. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Which is why I didn't post here..
    Wait....DOH!