Church clothes are selfish vanity

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by unfocusedanakin, Jan 29, 2018.

1. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

brainwashed into dressing up and giving money to their churches

funny how the dude who hates commerce starts a cult that constantly begs for money money money

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Not everybody uses a collection plate and their ways for the upkeep of the church, to keep it nice for the tidy people who visit. :)

How many bills do you see in a plate lol it's all loose change, ain't nobody getting taken for a scam there, wouldn't be worth the trouble. Lol.

3. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

My thinking is was more out of respect, to show some self pride in yourself and to show you care.

wilsjane and Irminsul like this.
  4. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

i dont see the plate

mama didnt raise no sucker

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Ah OK so you don't actually know then.

All good. :)

No reverend is laughing his way to his bank with 6.45 in shrapnel, just saying.

6. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

He didn't start it.

7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Woah, look out. Scored 11.25$ today. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

8. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

God doesn't care what you wear. Anything will do fine with your tin foil hat.

9. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

Back when I used to go to church, and in the event I ever need (or want) to go there again, I will want to dress nicely. NOT because I feel like I'm in some kind of competition with anyone but because, as others have already said, its a respect kind of thing.

I recall going to church and seeing people dressed in what I am certain was their best...and quite often the dresses would be handmade with no "fancy" needlework or whatever.

I've also been to churches through the years that had people there in blue jeans and t-shirts.

At this point in time I don't think that members at church judge others for their dress...unless it is immodest.

God never judged. S/He just wants your heart to be in right place.

10. Aerianne

If you dress up for church on Sunday, who are showing respect for?

You guys know that God doesn't live in the church building, right?

11. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

Showing respect to the church and all that are there. Taking pride in yourself enough to show that you care. It's the same reason you put on a pretty dress to go to a wedding.

Lynnbrown and neoprene_queen like this.
  12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Pretty much for the same reason you don't see many people at burial wearing their faded pink floyd t-shirts and jeans etc.

If it's a customary to dress for a funeral, why not for church? Thought it isn't for either, so I don't even get the thread. Who cares.

Like I said, whinge for the sake of a whinge.

Same with weddings too. And weddings are generally in gods name and you EXPECTED to dress nicely in this case.

Meanwhile most knobs adorn a suit to go work in their office like an important person because of social expectations. Lol. Go figure. Social expectation. That's your answer. Ain't no point trying belittle a churchie when some stooge dresses up nicely to work in a phone call centre.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    Lynnbrown and Meliai like this.
  13. Aerianne

I dress for a wedding as the bride has set the tone for.

The only thing that I can see setting the tone for church would be the formality of the service, much like a wedding.

I've visited the church my son's family goes to and dressed nicely. As it turns out, I was over dressed for their service.

Times are changing and so are the rules.

14. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

vanity/pride is a sin

15. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Social expectations aren't.

neoprene_queen likes this.
  16. Aerianne

Regarding the collection plate:

People use plastic now.

17. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Still not exactly raking in retirement funding.

I like the collection, those priests etc. are 24hr dedicated people, sit in booths trying to put any sort of positivity to anyone at all hours of confession etc. They teach peoples children, they put on coffee tea and cakes, grounds keeping. Book keeping. All that adds up. Of they're pocketing a few bucks on the side good on them I think, they're earning that 4 dollars of shrapnel.

Meanwhile your no goods are living off your tax payments in rags and no one says anything. :tearsofjoy: they're the real crooks.

18. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

The preacher sets the tone at a church you just choose not to follow.
    And you're right times are changing, the lack of respect for tradition isn't helping this country.

19. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Another thing too is I watch some American Christian TV shows and a lot are about your personal self and that God ain't gonna help you if you don't help yourself. So in terms it's like, well to me anyway, dress for yourself and not the occasion.

So people putting in effort is actually a good positive reaction, they're being self reliant and striving to reach an achievement or goal. Now of course clothes really don't do that, but in a way, if you're putting in effort yourself, then that's good vibes and exactly what they're preaching and I'm all about giving every individual an outlet to be positive in whatever creative they way they can, if that's expressing themselves in a suit and a tie at church then good for them. :)

20. Aerianne

That's not the way it worked in the church where I was on the Administrative Board, as Chairwoman Of The Counsel On Ministries. It was a United Methodist Church and I know they differ from the Catholic Church you're speaking of. Our church's responsibilities were spread across the membership and didn't fall to the pastor, alone.

The pastors are the ones telling people to come in jeans and whatever. The pastors wear jeans.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018