Chelsea Manning And Transgender Rights

Discussion in 'Front Page Stories' started by skip, Oct 28, 2016.

1. skip

skip Well-Known Member Staff Member

Chelsea Manning (formerly known as Bradley Manning) has written an essay on Transgender and Civil Rights.
    It turns out that even while still in the military, Chelsea was secretly undergoing the transgender process.
    Now she wants full recognition from the US government as a female.

In her essay, Chelsea describes some of the difficulties faced by transgendered persons.
    The most serious issues are not being recognized legally as transgendered and the discrimination that is felt.

Chelsea is in prison serving a 35 year prison sentence for sending classified diplomatic information to Wikileaks.
    She legally changed her name after she was sentenced.We’re banned from serving our country in the armed services unless we serve as trans people in secret, as I did.

We should all have the absolute and inalienable right to define ourselves, in our own terms and in our own languages, and to be able to express our identity and perspectives without fear of consequences and retribution. We should all be able to live as human beings – and to be recognized as such by the societies we live in. - Chelsea Manning

Read More

Painting above is an idealized portrait of Chelsea Manning - how she views herself.
    Here is how she looked as Bradley Manning.

[​IMG]

Click here to view the article

2. Eric!

Eric! Well-Known Member

I'm really disgusted with what this traitor did, and yet this bastard was given gender reassignment surgery, which is a waste of tax payers hard earned money, and a presidential pardon by President Obama??? WTF?!

3. morrow

morrow Free as a bird

I've always wanted to say that... Thank you!

4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Why do you see Manning as a traitor, morrow?

5. morrow

morrow Free as a bird

Because he put people in danger, and why? What did any one gain from it?

6. neoprene_queen

neoprene_queen Rebel Grrrl

Manning is right about everything...except for leaking classified information.

Unacceptable.

7. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Its easier to accept when you're not american :p

8. buddhabelly420

buddhabelly420 Well-Known Member

i am glad she is free, and i will never ever see her as a trator or an enemy of the USA, it is important that wistle blowers are protected. i dout that any soliders life was put at risk by the information leaked, yet it showed how war crimes where being commited in iraq by the ocupation. to me she is a hero as is edward snowden.

snowtiggernd and unfocusedanakin like this.
  9. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Waddayagonnado Staff Member Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

whistleblower is just another word for snitch

10. neoprene_queen

neoprene_queen Rebel Grrrl

His sentence was commuted. Obama didn't actually pardon Manning. A semantics debate to an extent, but a pardon means that the crime is expunged from someone's record. Technically speaking, it never happened. Manning's record still stands.

1 person likes this.
  11. Eric!

Eric! Well-Known Member

Oh ok. I feel much better. I've got to make it a habit to do a little more extensive research (like I used to). News channels put out half truths just for the sake of getting a story. I appreciate it.