Celebrity Stoners: American High Society

Discussion in 'Cannabis Activism' started by DdC, Nov 14, 2008.

1. DdC

DdC Member

Getting High Society

In conjunction with the release, John Holowach has also riffed off Radley Balko's recent call for a list of famous and productive people who have used marijuana.

Ask Them Why.org

A Brief List of People Who Have Smoked Marijuana

High coming to video
    DWR: Pete Guither 11.12.8

Some time ago, I reviewed the film High: The True Tale of American Marijuana by Drug WarRant friend John Holowach.

It's an powerful and excellent film.

"High" is finally being released to DVD. There's a premiere at Columbia College tomorrow evening, and it can now be ordered at Amazon.com.

More information is available at the High site.

Note: I'm pretty sure the film has been updated (and trimmed down some) since I reviewed it. The new trailer for the film is available here.

[​IMG]

Successful Pot Smokers: Let’s Make a List
    Friday, November 7th, 2008

Celebrity Stoners

Yahooka Culture & Society : Celebrities

* Celebrities RollCall
    * Some Famous Cannabis Users

Robert Altman, Jennifer Aniston, Louis Armstrong, Jack Black, Michael Bloomberg (NY mayor), Sonny Bono, James Brown, George W. Bush, Johnny Cash, Tommy Chong, Winston Churchill, Bill Clinton, Francis Ford Coppola, Bob Denver, John Denver, Jimmy Dorsey, Bob Dylan, Richard Feynman (scientist), Carrie Fisher, Jane Fonda, Peter Fonda, Harrison Ford, Art Garfunkel, Newt Gingrich, Al Gore, Larry Hagman, Woody Harrelson, Whitney Houston, Chrissie Hynd, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Sir Mick Jagger, Thomas Jefferson, John F Kennedy, Steven King, John Lennon, Bill Maher, Norman Mailer, Bob Marley, Linda McCartney, Sir Paul McCartney, Matthew McConaughey, George Michael, Robert Mitchum, Bill Murray, Friedrich Nietzsche, Willie Nelson, Jack Nicholson, Conan O'Brian, Sinead O'Connor, Sting, Luke Perry, Pablo Picasso, Brad Pitt, Ross Rebagliati, Keanu Reeves, Carl Sagan, William Shakespeare, Paul Simon, Wesley Snipes, Alan Sorkin, Oliver Stone, Margaret Trudeau, Pierre Elliot Trudeau, Ted Turner, Dionne Warwick, George Washington, Neil Young, Montel WIlliams

FRIENDS OF CANNABIS - Celebrity News
    Famous friends of cannabis, Hemp heroes, Smoking celebs, Marijuana pioneers, Pot stars & Musicians, Doktors, Actors, Philosophers, Business tycoons, Politicians, Presidents, Comedians, Sienctists, Researchers, Authors... And you!

Celebrity stoners

Celebrity Cannabis Consumers

Kirsten Dunst
    Actor Kirsten Dunst believes the world would be a better place if "everyone smoked weed".

Howard and Misty Ride Again!

Google: Celebrity Stoners

When I came to New York in 1937, I didn't drink nor smoke marijuana.'You gotta be a square muthafucka!' Charlie Shavers said and turned me on to smoking pot. Now, certainly, we were not the only ones. Some of the older musicians had been smoking reefers for 40 and 50 years. Jazz musicians, the old ones and the young ones, almost all of them that I knew smoked pot, but I wouldn't call that drug abuse.
    -- Dizzy Gillespie, in his 1979 autobiography, "To Be or not to Bop"

The shocking truth about jazz

Marijuana is a useful catalyst for specific optical and aural aesthetic perceptions. I apprehended the structure of certain pieces of jazz and classical music in a new manner under the influence of marijuana, and these apprehensions have remained valid in years of normal consciousness.
    -- Allen Ginsberg, "The Great Marijuana Hoax," 1966

Tight Like That Gage By Louis Armstrong

I'm gonna get high
    Gonna get high just as sure as you know my name.
    Y'know I'm gonna get so high this morning
    It's going to be a cryin' shame.
    Well you know I'm gonna stick with my reefer
    Ain't gonna be messin' round with no cocaine.

-- Muddy Waters

Shocking! Willie Nelson Busted for Pot

[​IMG]

American High Society

Ganja safer than not toking...

Voices of our Ancestors

"The partnership of Cannabis and man has existed now probably for ten thousand years ? since the discovery of agriculture in the Old World."
    -- Richard Evans Schultes and Albert Hoffman,
    "The Plants of the Gods," 1992

[​IMG]

"I advise any bashful young man to take hashish when he wants to offer his heart to any fair lady, for it will give him the courage of a hero, the eloquence of a poet, and the ardour of an Italian"
    -- Dr Meredith in Louisa May Alcott's Perilous Play

THE NECTAR OF DELIGHT
    from Plants of the Gods -
    Their Sacred, Healing and Hallucinogenic Powers
    by Richard Evans Schultes and Albert Hoffman
    Healing Arts Press (Vermont) 1992

Patients Out of Time

"When I received my medical marijuana from the government, the judge who had acquitted me was asked, 'Where can Elvy smoke?' My attorney suggested wherever nicotine is permissible, and the judge agreed with him."
    -- Elvy Musikka, who receives legal pot from the US government

Medical Cannabis.com/video

Melissa Etheridge smoked marijuana to treat cancer
    Transcript: Etheridge on Medicinal Marijuana

MEDICAL MARIJUANA DOCTORS AND RELATED ORGANIZATIONS 2002 links

Medical MJOrgSF
    LA Cannabis Co-op, Excellent Info!
    Oakland Cannabis Buyers Club
    Cannabis Buyers Clubs CA
    Chronic Pain Top Reason For Med MJ
    West Coast Cannabis Clubs
    Cannabis MD WA
    Cannabinoid Consortium Can.
    Marijuana Mission, Canada
    Compassion Clubs, Canada
    UKCIA
    Compassion Clubs Worldwide
    Doctors Speak Out
    Dr. Bill's Med MJ Doctor's List

"When you undergo a visionary experience, what you are really doing is blowing your socially conditioned, 20th century, hive mind and allowing your brain to, literally, come to its senses."
    -- Steve Kubby, "The Politics Of Consciousness"

Cannabis Buyers' Club Flourishes in 'Frisco

[​IMG]

2. DdC

DdC Member

Inside the Remote Farm That Supplies WAMM 04/17/00

Bed, Bud and Breakfast Opens in Santa Cruz 04/21/00
    Christening the "tokers" deck, medical-marijuana advocates freely passed around victory joints, celebrating the opening of this one-of-a-kind bed and breakfast in downtown Santa Cruz. "Lets medicate," said one gray-haired woman before lighting a tiny black pipe and taking a long drag.

[​IMG]
    UPDATE: Some sad news. The Compassion Flower Inn has closed. The owners apparently moved to Hawaii.

Cannabis Culture

High Times

"One night I smoked down a big joint and then went downstairs and ate two pints of Haagen-Dazs ice cream and then went back to bed. An hour later I woke up and thought my heart had stopped. And the next day I went to a cardiologist and he said, "Well, no, it didn't stop. Everything's fine.' And that was the end of my pot experiences."
    -- David Letterman, Playboy, 1994
    describing the end of his six months as a pot smoker

Magic Bus: On the Hippie Trail from Istanbul to India

SEEDING THE CULTURE

Like so many hard-up people within the cannabis culture, Laurence Cherniak has benefitted from the support, promotion and sponsorship of the Sensi Seed Bank. One of the best known cannabis companies in Amsterdam, largely through the exceedingly well publicised, Hash Marijuana Hemp Museum, the Seed Bank has been influencial and successful in furthering the acceptance of marijuana and hemp in Dutch society and beyond. A tireless activist and a far sighted entrepreneur, Seed Bank founder, Ben Dronkers is one of the founding fathers of the cannabis culture as it exists in Amsterdam today and has been at the very forefront of the culture throughout its development.

[​IMG]
    With balls like that, he has got to be one happy man.
    Kneaded into the basic shape, then rolled between the
    palms until soft, sticky and malleable, this Royal
    Nepalese Temple Ball was 'polished' on an
    upended enamel plate. The 'polish' seals the ball,
    keeping the inside soft and moist.

Laurence Cherniak -- A Biography (Of Sorts)
    In the beginning was the word and the word was with Laurence Cherniak. Could this be a prediction from a future mythology? We hope so but it doesn’t matter much for the word WAS with Laurence. Not, however, just the word but the image as well. And they all came together in the first of his Great Books: ‘The Great Books of Hashish; Volume One; Book One.’ What a piece de resistance, what an ouvre, what coup de grace (okay, that’s us frenched out for this issue,) what a production, what a title. And on such nice shiny paper, too.

[​IMG]

"For some minutes [the Caterpillar] puffed away without speaking, but at last it unfolded its arms, took the hookah out of its mouth again and said, 'So you think you're changed, do you?' 'I'm afraid I am, sir,' said Alice: 'I can't remember things as I used - and I don't keep the same size for ten minutes together!' 'Can't remember what things?' said the Caterpillar."
    -- Lewis Carroll, "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland," 1865

Clinton Quiet About Own Radical Ties By James V. Grimaldi
    Washington Post May 19, 2008 Page A044
    Faulting of Obama Called Hypocritical

The Counterculture Colonel

Summer of Love: 40 Years Later

Thank God for Hippies

[​IMG]

3. DdC

DdC Member

"There is not a shred of hope from history or from cross-culture studies to suggest that human beings can live without psychoactive substances." Bees drop to the ground after having nectar from certain orchards. Birds get drunk off berries and then fly into windows. After cats sniff certain plants they swing at imaginary objects. Certain range weeds will make cows shake, twitch, and stumble back for more. Elephants purposely get drunk on fermented fruits..."
    -- Dr. Andrew Weil,
    University of Arizona College of Medicine

From Chocolate to Morphine by Dr. Andrew Weil
    Everything You Need to Know About Mind-Altering Drugs.

What No One Wants to Know About Marijuana
    From The Natural Mind by Dr. Andrew Weil

Virtues' of Ganja

Eden Hashish Centre Posters and Calendars
    The Eden Hashish Centre was the largest of several legal storefronts in Kathmandu that provided quality hash and grass to the tourists. Mr. Sharma, the owner, opened two shops. The original location was at 5/1 Basantpur in the famous "Freak Street" hippy district, a location that ironically now is occupied by a bank. The second shop was located at 5/259 Ombahal, said to be in the Thamel area.

[​IMG]

When the crime is so minor, having marijuana, and the punishment is so unreasonable, taking people's homes and years of their lives, as well as a very real Twentieth century shunning, one is forced to look for deeper motives. I have come to believe that it is not the proscription of a substance but the systematic oppression of a certain kind of people. There have been a whole series of decisions made, on local, state and federal levels, to the effect that hippies, by which is meant any committed liberal persons, are undesireable and are to be banned, interdicted, harrassed, discouraged, arrested and pee-tested. It is a blatant use of police power to frighten and intimidate millions of people into giving up a heartfelt spiritual practice and lifestyle.

There are probably 25 million marijuana smokers in the United States alone, as well as millions more who if not smokers now, are still sentimental about it. The oppression to which I refer is for the purpose of keeping these millions of people off balance to minimize their political power. All those 500,000 pot smokers doing time are out of the political process, present but not able to vote. The urine test is the loyalty oath of the Nineties. The hippies are this season's Jews, this season's Reds...

Who are these people? We are the yeast that makes the dough rise. And it's not just us, there's been people like us for centuries. Before there were hippies, there were beatniks, before there beatniks, there were bohemians. The European counterculture ran away from Nazî Germany. They brought hundreds of thousands of artists and musicians and writers into this country. Before that there were people like George Bernard Shaw and Voltaire and all the way back to Socrates. There have always been that fraction of people who have said, "I want to see the truth."
    -- Stephen Gasken

Cannabis timeline
    2727 BCE First recorded use of cannabis as medicine in Chinese pharmacopoeia. In every part of the world humankind has used cannabis for a wide variety of health problems.

Marijuana: the law vs. 12 million people

[​IMG]
    Life magazine Oct 31, 1969. 25-35

American High Society 1/12/02

"Make the most you can of the Indian Hemp seed and sow it everywhere."
    -- President George Washington, 1794

Dr Dave West's Hemp Archive

Hemp Archive at Purdue

George Washington Hemp Farmer

George Washington used hemp extract to ease the pain from his wooden false teeth. Thomas Jefferson grew Marijuana, and in letters written by him he mentions the seeds of one crop being particularly good. If he was only growing rope, it is unlikely that one strain would be much different than another.

Modern medicine has found that Marijuana eases the pressure inside the eyes of glaucoma sufferers, that it increases the appetites of listless chemotherapy patients, and is effective as a treatment for migraine, athsma, nausea, epilepsy, anorexia, depression, rheumatism and arthritis.

Many respected medical professionals over the years have suggested that Marijuana be re-examined as a useful medicinal plant, but powerful tobacco and plastics lobbies always seem to shout them down. Even Richard Nixon suggested while he was President that the issue be re-opened. Yet to this day it remains listed as a Schedule I narcotic with no known medical use.

Groups Endorsing RxGanja

[​IMG]

Thomas Jefferson

Jefferson enjoyed “the solitude of a hermit” at his year-round retreat near Lynchburg, Virginia. At the heart of this 4800-acre plantation in beautiful Bedford County, Jefferson built his final, personal architectural masterpiece -- an octagonal house surrounded by an elaborate villa landscape. The rescue of this National Historic Landmark began in 1984, and today you can watch the state-of-the-art restoration under way. Come discover the private, contemplative side of Thomas Jefferson.

DEISM - AMERICA'S FORGOTTEN RELIGION!

People like Thomas Jefferson, George Washington and Benjamin Franklin were avid readers of the great philosophers of the European Enlightenment. They treasured the ideas found in the works of such thinkers as Descartes, Voltaire, Bacon and Locke.

One of the cornerstone ideas of the Enlightenment was to give every idea and assumption the test of reason. When they applied reason to religion they found it necessary to strip it of revelation and they ended up with Deism. Deism is belief in God based on reason and nature. The differing alleged revelations of the various revealed religions are conspicuously absent from Deism. It is a natural religion as opposed to a revealed religion such as Christianity, Judaism, or Islam.

Enlightenment, term applied to the mainstream of thought of 18th-century Europe and America.

The major champions of these concepts were the philosophes, who popularized and promulgated the new ideas for the general reading public. These proponents of the Enlightenment shared certain basic attitudes.

With supreme faith in rationality, they sought to discover and to act upon universally valid principles governing humanity, nature, and society.

They variously attacked spiritual and scientific authority, dogmatism, intolerance, censorship, and economic and social restraints. They considered the state the proper and rational instrument of progress.

The extreme rationalism and skepticism of the age led naturally to deism; the same qualities played a part in bringing the later reaction of romanticism. The Encyclopédie of Denis Diderot epitomized the spirit of the Age of Enlightenment, or Age of Reason, as it is also called.

An International System of Thought

Centered in Paris, the movement gained international character at cosmopolitan salons. Masonic lodges played an important role in disseminating the new ideas throughout Europe.

"The Hashish Club" -- an Anthology of Drug Literature"
    edited by Peter Haining, publ. 1975 by Peter Owen Limited)

The Hashish Club was the name given to a the group of French writers and artists who first banded together in the years just before the Second Republic to experiment with, and record their experiences, of hashish .......

All were united in a search for new forms of expresssion and enlightenment ....... the assembled writers (and painters) comparing their symptons under hashish or opium, and speculating on how their imagination and the writer's art might be stimulated or betrayed by drugs".

EDGAR ALLAN POE, 1809-49.
    - "Usually I had half filled the bowl of the hookah with opium and tobacco cut and mingled, half and half.

THEOPHILE GAUTIER, 1811-72.
    -"Hashish has nothing of that ignoble drunkenness about it which the races of the North obtain from wine and alcohol ; it offers an intellectual intoxication". (Essay, 1844)

CHARLES PIERRE BAUDELAIRE, 1821-67.
    - "Now, even if we admit for a moment that hashish can confer genius, or at least increase it, it must not be forgotten that it is the nature of hashish to weaken the will, and so to give with one hand what it takes away with the other, that is, to bestow imagination without the power to make use of it" ("Les Paridis Artificiels", 1860)

The Nectar of Delight mirror
    The Early History of Cannabis
    from Plants of the Gods by Schultes & Hofmann

[​IMG]

4. DdC

DdC Member

Archaeology
    If, for instance, archaeologists want to find references in Jefferson’s correspondence about crops at Poplar Forest, they can ask the database to retrieve references about wheat. (or hemp)

The Corporation for Jefferson's Poplar Forest
    P.O. Box 419 • Forest, VA 24551-0419
    Voice (434) 525-1806 • Fax (434) 525-7252

Or archaeologists can tap into the catalog of artifacts discovered during excavation. An entry for a button, for instance, will include information on where and when it was found, what it’s made of, what size it is, how old it is, and what decoration it has. The transit used by the field archaeologists maps the location of each excavation unit, which is automatically fed into the database.

The house at Poplar Forest was very pretty and pleasant. It was of brick, one story in front, and, owing to the falling of the ground, two in the rear. It was an exact octagon, with a centre-hall twenty feet square, lighted from above. This was a beautiful room, and served as a dining-room.

Round it were grouped a bright drawing-room looking south, my grandfather’s own chamber, three other bedrooms, and a pantry. A terrace extended from one side of the house; there was a portico in front connected by a vestibule with the centre room, and in the rear a verandah, on which the drawing-room opened, with its windows to the floor.

Mr. Jefferson had decidedly one of the evenest and most cheerful tempers I ever knew. He enjoyed a jest, provided it were to give pain to no one, and we were always glad to have any pleasant little anecdote for him-when he would laugh as cheerily as we could do ourselves, and enter into the spirit of the thing with as much gaiety.
    Letter,history/ellen

Thomas Jefferson Biography
    A French nobleman observed that he had placed his house and his mind "on an elevated situation, from which he might contemplate the universe."

Recreation drug use

"Prohibition . . . goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legistlation."
    -- Abraham Lincoln (attributed)

[​IMG]
    Starting in the 1860s, the Ganja Wallah Hasheesh Candy Company made maple sugar hashish candy, which soon became one of the most popular treats in America. For 40 years, it was sold over the counter and advertised in newspapers, as well as being listed in the catalogs of Sears-Roebuck, as a totally harmless, delicious, and fun candy.
    --Jack Herer

History of Cannabis

Cannabis (hemp) was once held in high esteem

U. S. A. HEMP MUSEUM

The history and benefits of hemp

Hemp Facts

An old medicinal

Recannabis Index 2001

History of Cannabis Intoxicant Use

"Galen wrote in the second century that it was customary to promote hilarity and happiness at banquets by giving the guests hemp."
    -- Reininger, 1967: 14-15

[​IMG]

United States

The, events surrounding the introduction of cannabis use to the New World are entirely unclear.

Some historians say the Spaniards brought the plant with them in the 16th century, other say marijuana smoking came in with the slave trade or with the Asian Indian migration of the late 18th century.

The hemp plant was cultivated in the United States for centuries, apparently without general knowledge of its intoxicating properties (Grinspoon, 1971: 10).

Cannabis was an often used medicine in the United States in the 19th century. It was easily available without a prescription and was also widely prescribed by physicians (Snyder, 1970: 26).

Hemp was used by the pioneers to cover their wagons. The plant was a major crop in Kentucky, Virginia, Wisconsin and Indiana, and was one of the more important southern agricultural products, after cotton.

It is still used to make rope, twine and textiles, while the seed is used as bird food (Geller and Boas, 1969: 16).

Marijuana use as an intoxicant in the United States began slowly in the early part of this century. Puerto Rican soldiers, and then Americans who were stationed in the Panama Canal Zone, are reported to have been using it by 1916.

American soldiers fighting Pancho Villa circa 1916 also learned to use it. This follows the first reported use in Mexico in the 1880's (Blum and Associates, 1969, 1: 69-70).

Intoxicant use in the United States is also traced to the large influx of Mexican laborers in the 1910's and 1920's (Geller and Boas, 1969: 14).

"Marijuana as grown and used on the Isthmus of Panama is a mild stimulant and intoxicant. It is not a "habit forming" drug in the sense that the derivatives of opium, cocaine, and such drugs, are as there are no symptoms of deprivation following its withdrawal."
    -- The 1933 Report of the "Military Surgeon"
    regarding marijuana use among the soldiers in the Canal Zone,

Delinquencies due to marijuana smoking which result in trial by military court are negligible in number when compared with delinquencies resulting from the use of alcohol drinks, which is also classed as a stimulant and intoxicant (Geller and Boas, 1969: 147).

The report went on to say that marijuana presented no threat to military discipline, and "that no recommendations to prevent the sale or use of marijuana are deemed advisable."

Eat, drink, smoke and be happy
    Police are quietly hoping that rowdy supporters will be pacified by a few puffs on Dutch-made marijuana.

The History of the Intoxicant Use of Marihuana

Hashish History

Historical ref's to hemp

"In almost every article of defence we abound. Hemp flourishes even to rankness, so that we need not want cordage."
    Political Works Of Thomas Paine
    Book: Common Sense
    Part III On The Present Ability Of America.
    With Some Miscellaneous Reflections

Marijuana / Hemp Historical Information

...In 1762, "Virginia awarded bounties for hempculture and manufacture, and imposed penalties upon those who did not produce it."
    From _Licit & Illicit Drugs_, by Consumer Reports, p. 403:

George Washington was growing hemp at Mount Vernon three years later--presumably for its fiber, though it has been argued that Washington was also concerned to increase the medicinal or intoxicating potency of his marijuana plants. The argument depends on a curious tradition, which may or may not be sound, that the quality or quantity of marijuana resin (hashish) is enhanced if the male and female plants are separated *before* the females are pollinated. There can be no doubt that Washington separated the males and the females. Two entries in his diary supply the evidence:

May 12-13 1765: "Sowed Hemp at Muddy hole by Swamp."
    August 7, 1765: "--began to seperate (sic) the Male from the Female Hemp at Do--rather too late."

"Washington's August 7 diary entry "clearly indiactes that he was cultivating the plant for medicinal purposes as well for its fiber." He might have separated the males from the females to get better fiber, Andrew concedes--but his phrase "rather too late" suggests that he wanted to complete the separation before the female plants were fertilized*--and this was a practice related to drug potency rather that to fiber culture."
    -- George Andrews
    The Book of Grass: An Anthology of Indian Hemp_ (1967)

American High Society

"Dr. Burke, president of the American Historical Reference Society and a consultant for the Smithsonian Institute, counted seven early presidents as cannabis smokers: George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, James Monroe, Andrew Jackson, Zachary Taylor and Franklin Pierce. Madison once remarked that hemp gave him insight to create a new and democratic nation. Cannabis was twice as popular among American soldiers in the Mexican War as in Vietnam: Pierce wrote to his family that it was "about the only good thing" about that war."
    -- Chris Conrad, "Hemp: Lifeline To The Future"
    subchapter: American High Society

The extent of cannabis smoking during the Colonial era is still subject to debate. President George Washington wrote a letter that contained an oblique reference to what may have been hashish.

"The artificial preparation of hemp, from Silesia, is really a curiosity." *38

Washington made specific written references to Indian hemp, or cannabis indica, and hoped to "have disseminated the seed to others." *39

His August 7, 1765 diary entry, "began to separate the male from the female (hemp) plants," describes a harvesting technique favored to enhance the potency of smoking cannabis, among other reasons. *40

Hemp farmer Thomas Jefferson and paper maker Ben Franklin were ambassadors to France during the initial surge of the hashish vogue. Their celebrity status and progressive revolutionary image afforded them ample opportunities to try new experiences. Jefferson smuggled Chinese hemp seeds to America and is credited with the phrase in the Declaration of Independence, "Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."

Did the Founding Fathers of the United States of America smoke cannabis? Some researchers think so.

Central and Western African natives were farming and harvesting cannabis sativa in North America as slaves. If they did smoke on th plantations, that would be kept secret. *42

By the time of the Louisiana purchase in 1803, New Orleans had a mixed Spanish, French, Creole, Cajun, Mexican and Black population. The city teemed with adventurers and sailors, wise to the ways of cannabis. It was mixed with tobacco or smoked alone, used to season food. *43

To treat insomnia and impotence, and so on. Cannabis was mentioned as a medicinal agent in a formal American medical text as early as 1843. *44

[​IMG]

(Portland NORML)
    Some Excellent Articles About Cannabis and Drug Policy

"Analgesia, anticonvulsant action, appetite stimulation, ataraxia, antibiotic properties and low toxicity were described throughout medical literature, beginning in 1839, when O'Shaughnessy introduced cannabis into the Western pharmacopoeia."
    -- CIBA Foundation Study Group,
    "Hashish--Its Chemistry and Pharmacology," 1964, pp. 45, 49.

MEDICINAL USES OF CANNABIS

William Brooke O'Shaughnessy

How to speak 19th century

Tow shirt; coarse linen shirt. "While we stayed here we drew a few articles of clothing, consisting of a few tow shirts, some overalls and a few pairs of silk-and-oakum stockings." P.222

Overalls; loose fitting trousers. See above

Oakum; hemp fiber. See above

[​IMG]

Sacramental Cannabis
    Food, Fuel, Fiber, FARMaceuticals, Hardrug&Booze AlterNative!

References: 38 A region now shared by Germany & Poland. Letter to Dr. James Anderson, May 26, 1794. in Writings of George Washington. Washington DC. vol. 33. p. 384.
    39 Ibid. vol. 35. p. 72
    40 Such as creating more space for females to flower for seed production, or to take advantage of the male fiber before it overmatures in the field.
    41 Burke asserted that Washington & Jefferson were said to exchange smoking blends as personal gifts. Washington reportedly preferred a pipe full of "the leaves of hemp" to alcohol, & wrote in his diaries that he enjoyed the fragrance of hemp flowers. Madison once remarked that hemp gave him insight to create a new & democratic nation. Monroe, creator of the Monroe Doctrine, began smoking it as Ambassador to France & continued to the age of 73. Burke. "Pot & Presidents." in Green Egg. CA. June 21, 1975
    42 "That might explain some cultural differences." Aldrich, Michael, Ph.D. 'On use of marijuana by slaves in colonial times.' in Best of High Times. vol. 10. 1991. p. 61
    43 Hakluyt, Divers voyages touching the discoverie of America. London 1582
    44 Pereira, J. Elements of Materia Medica & Therapeutics. Lea & Blanchard. Philadelphia PA. 1843

5. GregTheMagician

GregTheMagician Senior Member

i'm doubting this one :toetap05:

6. DdC

DdC Member

Nixon lied about the dangers of Ganja and lumped Hemp and Rx into the mix. So there is nothing wrong with using Ganja, therefore it shouldn't be a surprise finding out others not hearing Nixon lies may have just enjoyed toking. Archeology is hard to argue against. Shakespeare's pipes or the ancient temple incenses with trace amounts of hashish. Jesus inhaled. With the World's Fair having Hashish Parlors to enhance the pleasure of your visit. I think the skeptics should question those who claim they didn't toke... But as we well know...

[​IMG]

Comix and Cannabis

Ancient Temple Hashish Incense! Did Jesus Inhale?

"And out of the ground made the LORD God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil."
    ~ Gen.2 [9]

Drugs clue to Shakespeare's genius
    March 1, 2001 STRATFORD, England
    William Shakespeare may have relied on more than his genius to write his plays and sonnets, scientists say. Researchers have unearthed fragments of clay pipes dating back to the 17th century near the garden of England's greatest playwright which have shown traces of cocaine and hallucinogenic drugs.

Famous Users

William Shakespeare
    Several 17th-century clay pipes found on the site of William Shakespeare's home may have been used to smoke marijuana.
    Though marijuana degrades over time, eight of those pipe fragments showed signs suggestive of marijuana. Two of the pipe samples also showed evidence of cocaine.
    The results of the study are published in the South African Journal of Science.

[​IMG]
    Elizabethans may have explored more than just the oceans

Shakespeare’s Pipes Test Positive For Marijuana
    August 6th, 2009 by nynerd
    24 pipes found at the residence of Sir William Shakespeare have tested positive for Marijuana, Cocaine, among several other obscure drugs. That’s a lot of pipes, he must have been a serious smoker! National Geographic has the story.

National Geographic has the story.

Did Shakespeare Puff on "Noted Weed"?
    Shaun Smillie for National Geographic News (March 1, 2001)

Shakespeare’s Marijuana
    and Other Poems the Authorities Don’t Want You To Read
    It was early in 2001, the first months of the new century, a more innocent time. AP, CNN, and other world media outlets (some identifying themselves by entire words, not just clusters of initials) adopted a tone of breathless discovery to inform us all that scientists had unearthed clay pipe fragments at William Shakespeare’s home in Stratford-on-Avon, had dated the pipes to the 1600s, and had found the shards to harbor drug residue. Clearly a sonnet was called for. Thus was born the title poem of this collection.

SHAKESPEARE’S MARIJUANA

When dreamy hemp awakens ev’ry sense,
    Reality by any other name
    Smells sweetly savory, and no expense
    Of flesh or spirit wastes itself in shame.
    A poet’s eye rolls frenzi’d, fine, and mad;
    Each brook is ston’d with sermons, tongu’d each tree,
    And there is nothing either good or bad
    But thinking makes it be so, or not be.
    Then faculties are infinite, fools wise,
    And fairest maiden, passing for a youth,
    Companion’d by some monarch in disguise,
    Calls spirits from the vasty deep of truth.
    Thus wags the ripe rot of this world as herbal
    Insights are bodi’d forth in fancies verbal
    (first published in 3rd Muse Poetry Journal)

But there’s more to this collection than frivolous drug poetry. The book is filled with equally frivolous poems about sex, religion, politics, and all manner of pop culture trivia. continued

Shakespeare Was A Pothead

William Shakespeare may have relied on more than his genius to write his plays and sonnets, scientists say.

Burning Shiva: Shakespeare's pipes Pot TV

Cannabis Culture: A Journey Through Disputed Territory
    by MATTHEWS, Patrick

Who's Who: Celebrity Tokers
    Fragments of pipes unearthed near Shakespeare's garden showed traces of cocaine and cannabis. No direct evidence connecting the pipes to Shakespeare.

Shakespeare on pot By Chris Bennet
    illustrations by Art Penn - Wednesday, June 13 2001

[​IMG]

Ganja's Impact On Brain Function "Minimal"

* Dr. Heath/Tulane Study, 1974

The Hype: Brain Damage and Dead Monkeys

In 1974, California Governor Ronald Reagan was asked about decriminalizing marijuana. After producing the Heath/Tulane University study, the so-called "Great Communicator" proclaimed, "The most reliable scientific sources say permanent brain damage is one of the inevitable results of the use of marijuana." (L.A. Times)

* The Facts: Suffocation of Research Animals

Teddy Kennedy's Cannabis Brain Tumor Cure
    Teddy Kennedy and The Ultimate Tragedy of Liberalism.
    His Brain Tumor Is of the Type That Cannabis Might Cure.
    Suppressed Research May Claim Another Drug War Victim.
    Posted by Richard Cowan on 2008-05-20 16:20:00

As it happens, there have been several studies showing that glioma cells can be killed by cannabinoids.Incredibly, at least one of these studies was suppressed by the US government

Had the medical potential of cannabis not been suppressed to satisfy the needs of the Drug War’s prohibitionist propaganda, scientists might have developed ways of using cannabinoids to treat this type of cancer that would be far more effective than the treatment that he is going to have to endure. continued...

[​IMG]

7. DdC

DdC Member

8. DdC

DdC Member

DWR: Stiletto Stoners

Here’s another milestone of sorts.

Stiletto Stoners by Yael Kohen:

They’ve got killer careers and enviable social lives. They’re also major potheads. Why are so many smart, successful women lighting up in their off-hours?

And it’s in… Marie Claire magazine.

As a friend wrote me today

I’ve been reading Glamour, Cosmo, Marie Claire, Vogue and every other fashion magazine for like 10 years and I’ve never seen an article like this – it blew my mind! It’s about how successful career women like to relax with a joint instead of drinking sometimes. No hysteria, no lies, and even the obligatory prohibitionist comment at the end was made fair through parentheticals. Totally unexpected to see in the type of magazines where the most political commentary is usually on Michelle Obama’s arms. I think if we’ve reached the fashion magazine crowd, we’ve reached just about everyone…

[​IMG]

9. DdC

DdC Member

10. kerouaconacid

kerouaconacid Member

thanks to the original poster for all the awesome mj links. anyone know of any good mmj blogs?

11. DdC

DdC Member

MPP of Nevada to Offer $10,000 Challenge
    Marijuana is Safer Than Alcohol

Don't let San Diego's district attorney get away with hurting medical marijuana patients! Sign the petition

Noam Chomsky deconstructs the drug war

"US domestic drug policy does not carry out its stated goals, and policymakers are well aware of that. If it isn't about reducing substance abuse, what is it about? It is reasonably clear, both from current actions and the historical record, that substances tend to be criminalized when they are associated with the so-called dangerous classes, that the criminalization of certain substances is a technique of social control."

Pot Smoking 'Saved' Kevin Smith

The king of stoner moviemakers, Kevin Smith, never really smoked much marijuana until Seth Rogen talked him into it last summer, he says. Now he sparks up at least three times a day and credits pot for helping him to dig his way out of a creative slump.

[​IMG]

A police chief on the verge
    Via LEAP’s blog is this video from a press conference held by Police Chief George Gascon of San Francisco.

The press conference was about shutting down illegal marijuana grow operations, but someone actually asked him whether legalization might be an answer to some of our problems, and he noted:

Obviously, it’s speculation… we can go back to the days of prohibition — you know, when alcohol was prohibited — people found ways to deal with the manufacturing and production of alcohol and a lot of violence came as a result of that. Alcohol was legalized; some of that went away. It’s hard to tell.

SF Police Chief Hints at Marijuana Legalization's Benefits youtube

Could you have imagined an active police chief answering in that way 10 years ago?

[​IMG]
    Get Up, Stand Up
    Ammiano Introduces Marijuana Legalization Bill to the Press
    By Joe Eskenazi Monday, Feb. 23 2009

Rare first glimpse into only government ran marijuana farm
    “This is the only place in the country that actually has the responsibility of producing marijuana for research. We have very good quality material. We can produce any quality that is needed for the research program,” Dr. Mahmoud Elsohly, the program’s director said.

Radio Campaign Touts Marijuana's Medicinal Benefits, Pushes Legalization

ABC News: 46% of Americans Support Legalizing Marijuana

[​IMG]
    cannabisismedicine

12. DdC

DdC Member

Pot Stirring By Patsy K. Eagan
    July 18, 2008 ELLE magazine

Some are using marijuana as their drug of choice to curb anxiety

A thimbleful is all it takes. After a day’s work, I pinch off a small amount of marijuana and put it in a steel-tooth grinder. The flowers, covered in tiny white diamonds of THC, release a piney scent when crushed. I turn on the TV, and instead of taking a glass of wine with my evening news, I take out my vaporizer and set it on the coffee table. continued...

[​IMG]
    Photo: Adrianna Williams/Corbis

Two California airports allow passengers to fly with pot
    Oct 19 2009
    A little noticed policy at two California airports allows properly qualified passengers to fly the friendly skies carrying up to a half pound of marijuana.

[​IMG]

13. DdC

DdC Member

Pitcher Dock Ellis' Legendary LSD No-Hitter
    By James Blagden, No Mas - Tuesday, November 17 2009

[​IMG]

In celebration of the greatest athletic achievement by a man on a psychedelic journey, No Mas and artist James Blagden proudly present the animated tale of Dock Ellis' legendary LSD no-hitter. In the past few years weve heard all too much about performance enhancing drugs from greenies to tetrahydrogestrinone, and not enough about performance inhibiting drugs. If our evaluation of the records of athletes like Mark McGwire, Roger Clemens, Marion Jones, and Barry Bonds needs to be revised downwards with an asterisk, we submit that that Dock Ellis record deserves a giant exclamation point. Of the 263 no-hitters ever thrown in the Big Leagues, we can only guess how many were aided by steroids, but we can say without question that only one was ever thrown on acid. continued...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vUhSYLRw14&feature=player_embedded